• Tweets

• I have just read the smaller print on their signs. It says that you can pay at the end of your parking session. given that you have ten minutes grace period the 35 seconds could easily have been taken up with walking back to your car, switching on the engine and then driving out. Even in my younger days when I used to regularly exceed speed limits, I doubt I could have done that in 35 seconds even when I  had a TR5.
    • Makers of insect-based animal feed hope to be able to compete with soybeans on price.View the full article
    • Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
    • pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’.  Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time.  You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID.  You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.<<**IMPORTANT**  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?486334-CPR-31.14-Request-to-use-on-receipt-of-a-PPC-(-Private-Land-Parking-Court-Claim type your name ONLY no need to sign anything .you DO NOT await the return of paperwork. you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Charging Orders Petition - Sign it NOW!

FunkyFox
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5514 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All!

I think the next thing to tackle here should be to challenge the interest rate charged in the event of the charging order being being granted.

At the end of the day,the lender has the security that the lender will be paid but should NOT be allowed to charge the same interest rate as that on the original unsecured debt.

What do you think folks?

Absolutely agree. The interest rate on a secured loan at that rate would be considered rediculous.

If my post helped you feel better, click my scales.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the next thing to tackle here should be to challenge the interest rate charged in the event of the charging order being being granted.

At the end of the day,the lender has the security that the lender will be paid but should NOT be allowed to charge the same interest rate as that on the original unsecured debt.

What do you think folks?

Fully agree.

The first step is to get the Charging Order Petition here going thick and fast, with as many Signatures as possible.

Cheers,

BRW

Edited by banker_rhymes_with
Added URL for Petition...just to make it easy to find!

Now up to 139. Nice work.

If you do feel compelled to write or email your MP feel free to use the attached letter which I sent today.

You can find your MP's details here UK Parliament - Find Your MP if you email remember to include your name and address.

Feel free to chop, change and amend as required. Sorry for any spelling or typos, I'm rubbish at proof reading.

Dear

Re: Charging Orders and the Tribunals, Courts and Enforcements Act 2007

As a member of your constituency I am writing to you to express my concern about the proposed introduction of elements of the above act which refer specifically to applications for charging orders.

Currently, should a creditor seek to enforce an unsecured debt such as credit card through the civil courts by way of a charging order against a debtors home, there is a requirement for the defendant to default on the terms of the initial court order, before an application for a charging order can be made by the creditor. Section 93 of the above act proposes to dispense with this requirement, making it possible for a creditor to obtain both a county court judgment and legal charge against a persons home at a single hearing.

I am concerned that should these changes become law, it will result in wholesale abuse of the new law with creditors and debt collection agencies rushing to take debtors through the court system, rather than negotiate manageable payment plans with creditors. Charging orders should always be a last resort, not a way for organisations to efficiently balance their books.

I would like to propose that a number of elements of the both the existing use and the proposed new use of charging orders is examined for possible amendment. These are;

• Guidelines issued to the court to ensure that the granting of a charging order is proportionate and appropriate.

• That a debtors personal circumstances are always taken into consideration before a charging order is granted. This must include the debtors state of health and mind, their family circumstances including children and other dependants, ensuring that other creditors are not prejudiced by the granting of a charging order, that the debtor has received professional advice as to the implications of the order and had a reasonable opportunity to defend their case through the courts and whether the creditor has made reasonable attempts to recover the debt by other means such as manageable arrangement. Currently some of these matters are meant to be considered but they are routinely ignored.

• That there must be equity in the home in order for a charging order to be granted. If this is not a consideration the number of personal bankruptcies will certainly rocket as debtors realise this is a far more palatable option than losing all control over their home for many years to come.

• That a negotiated settlement or payment arrangement has been broken by the debtor prior to court action being commenced. It is essential that the creditor has made reasonable efforts to allow the debtor to pay.

• That providers of unsecured credit are required to clearly give warnings that ‘your home may be at risk’ in the same way as they do for secured loans.

• That the way unsecured debt is sold is more tightly regulated to unsure that it is not an ‘Unfair Consumer Practice’. I for one would not have taken unsecured lending had I known that a possible sanction was it becoming secured against my property.

The implications of the wholesale use and abuse of charging orders by creditors and in particular debt collection agencies, who may have bought the debt for as little as 1% of its face value will be enormous, both on individuals and the housing market and wider economy.

As my MP I urge you to investigate this matter fully and begin the process of repealing this proposed amendment and to stimulate discussion on the wider use of charging orders as form of enforcing unsecured debt.

Finally, whilst I do not see this as a party political issue, more so an issue of protecting the rights of consumers and homeowners in this country, I would like to refer you to the following quotation by Vince Cable from the Observer dated 14th September 2008 where he states;

'I hope that the government will retreat from what was clearly not properly thought through at the stage of primary legislation. The problem of repossession was bad enough in the early 1990s. We now have the problem of sub-prime lenders, and potentially large numbers of second charge creditors, all forcing people out of their homes. The government must stop short of introducing regulation giving effect to these powers.”

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Yours sincerely

• Haha 1

If you do feel compelled to write or email your MP feel free to use the attached letter which I sent today.

You can find your MP's details here UK Parliament - Find Your MP if you email remember to include your name and address.

Feel free to chop, change and amend as required. Sorry for any spelling or typos, I'm rubbish at proof reading.

Hi,

Unfortunately, my MP is a certain Mr Alan Milburn.

I believe he is a director of 1st Credit!:mad:

Don't suppose anyone could confirm this!!?:confused:

best wishes, Jeff.

I would love to mail my waste of space MP but,

Constituency

Derby South

Sitting MP

Rt Hon Margaret Beckett

Party

Labour

Email

Email Unavailable

By telephone:

020 7219 3000 (House of Commons Switchboard - ask for your Member's Office)

By letter:

House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA

Other information

MEP and other details

Email has been unavailable for months.Perhaps it doesn't work in her caravan!

I believe he's an 'advisor' at Bridgepoint the firm of VC's that own 1st Credit.

Bridgepoint | Advisory Committee

All the more reason to write to him to highlight his conflict of interest:mad:

I'll still be writing, don't worry about that!!!;)

Jeff.

PS. And I won't be voting for him next time either!!!

• 2 weeks later...

hiya all

267 signed so far

off to see my mp tomorrow morning, will update you if good or bad reception to this

ciao for now laters MAZ

no papers yet interested in this ????????

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

hiya all

269 at the moment

went to see my mp explained about this and i took in the letter from an earlier post and signed it and addressed to him personally, he will look into this for me and pass onto relevant people, ie the housing minister for one.

Ive told him about the petition too and that to keep in touch with the real people of the country they do as a party need to get back to basics.

I also told him about the way debt collection agencies and original creditors behave towards people who have genuine problems and who are doing their best to pay back but get hounded instead they should chase people who dont pay a penny towards their debts instead! Also i informed him of the way copies of cca's are being sent that are not correct. Showed him a few examples, so i explained quite clearly that i expect our government to take heed of its population, i may only be a little voice today in his office but i am still a member of this country.

I think he got the message and was very polite but very clear in my expectations.

i requested for a reply back from him which he promised to do so for an update.

So will let you all know

off to wander around a bit - dont be afraid guys go and have a chat and if enough of us send out this message it will make an impact or the next thing is a march through london like the march for children poverty - if we all lose our houses, we might as well all camp out at no 10

laters ciao maz

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

hiya all

269 at the moment

went to see my mp explained about this and i took in the letter from an earlier post and signed it and addressed to him personally, he will look into this for me and pass onto relevant people, ie the housing minister for one.

Ive told him about the petition too and that to keep in touch with the real people of the country they do as a party need to get back to basics.

I also told him about the way debt collection agencies and original creditors behave towards people who have genuine problems and who are doing their best to pay back but get hounded instead they should chase people who dont pay a penny towards their debts instead! Also i informed him of the way copies of cca's are being sent that are not correct. Showed him a few examples, so i explained quite clearly that i expect our government to take heed of its population, i may only be a little voice today in his office but i am still a member of this country.

I think he got the message and was very polite but very clear in my expectations.

i requested for a reply back from him which he promised to do so for an update.

So will let you all know

off to wander around a bit - dont be afraid guys go and have a chat and if enough of us send out this message it will make an impact or the next thing is a march through london like the march for children poverty - if we all lose our houses, we might as well all camp out at no 10

laters ciao maz

Hi,

Well done maz!!!:)

Keep us informed.

Regards, Jeff.

Hi,

Well done maz!!!:)

Keep us informed.

Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff,

well give anyone the benefit of the doubt - but dont know if worth going to see a local councillor of the opposition parties of our current Mr Brown

i wonder if giving them the same letter could cause a bit of a ruption?? oh the devil in me is kicking,lol

im not too sure how local politics behave or should help us, so worth a go too?

have a good rest of the week

ciao for now laters:wink:

The key issue here is that borrowers are not told that a lender can effectively turn an unsecured debt into a secured one. Lenders charge higher interest rates on unsecured debt and are then able to convert it into a secured debt.

At the very least borrowers should be warned about this when signing new credit agreements.

The key issue here is that borrowers are not told that a lender can effectively turn an unsecured debt into a secured one.

It has little to do with the loan. The terms and conditions of the loan would have been terminated once the debtor defaults, this would mean that the creditor would have the ability to use the legal system to recover their money at this point. When it comes to the possibility of a charging order the loan would have been long gone, the situation is that there is a money judgment which the creditor has the right to use enforcmeent against.

Lenders charge higher interest rates on unsecured debt and are then able to convert it into a secured debt.

the debtor has the choice of having an unsecured loan or a secured loan if they shop about.

At the very least borrowers should be warned about this when signing new credit agreements.

they are warned that non-payment of an agreement could result in legal action.

I know that you are correct in respect of the legal position but most people have never heard of a charging order and are surprised that a lender can threaten their property for what was an unsecured debt. It's a question of perception and understanding. The main reason why mortgage lenders are required by law to state that non-payment could lead to repossession is because many borrowers simply didn't understand what "secured" meant. Some of them thought it was to do with the stability of the lender!

Some of them thought it was to do with the stability of the lender!

haha.

I hear what you are saying!

I think the new CCA 2006 rules go a little way towards clearing this up, perhaps clearing definitions within the credit agreements might be a way to ensure that the borrower is aware of the implications.

hiya

update 285

ive had a letter reply from my mp who has passed my letter of concerns to the Minister of Justic is that mr jack straw i read here!

I will be contacted once he gets a reply,

wow guys i feel happy, happy,,,only happier if we get a decent result

ciao for now and keep sending the message out and to your mp's, laters maz

hiya

update 291

hiya all

at the moment 291

as ive already said -

i have visited my mp and my letter been sent to mr jack straw Minister of Justice

so if we all did this . - all relevant depts and ministers will be getting the same message over and over and over and over again

lets make a NOICE

come on guys im even thinking of going out in the night and pinning up the visit the no 10 site about this,,,, just got to dodge the police cars lol

i might actually have a word with my retired police friend how can i legally do this, get some message out to the townpeople of this country

take care ciao for now laters maz

at the mo 315

come on dont lets grind to a halt,

keep going and keep your spirits high ciao for now maz