Can they do this?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5861 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I owe Npower a fairly substantial amount of money (for my means anyway), but the last time I spoke to them they demanded payment of half the overdue balance, before they'd agree to a paymen plan. Are they entitled to do this?

If not I'd like to go down the route of repeating the phone call and recording it for possible use against them.

Cheers,

ES

Don't talk to them on the phone.

If you are having money problems as many of us are, I would suggest you write to them and enclose a budget sheet together with an offer of payment. Then just wait and see what the reply is.

Good luck.

Cheers for the reply.

I read on this forum a nice trick which I'm hoping will work, writing to them enclosing a cheque and an offer of a payment plan, stating that I will consider their cashing of the cheque as an acceptance of these terms.

I should be able to save up enough to make the payment of half the balance, but it'll take a couple of months and I'm worried I might be cut off or have a prepayment meter fitted in the meantime.

I don't think they can cut you off if you are making an offer for half of the outstanding balance and the rest on a payment plan.

You arent ignoring them, besides they will need to send you a letter to inform you of the date they will be cutting you off.

Oh don't forget to send your letter by recorded delivery.

keep us posted.

The cheque would just be the first instalment of a payment plan I can afford now, not for half the amount. Sorry that wasn't very clear. If I can do it that way it's far better for me than having to save up half the outstanding balance, as that will take 2-3 months at least.

On the plus side I have S.A.R. pending for credit cards and a store card, and also bank charges to reclaim, and I'm learning to have fun with DCA's on the phone, instead of dreading their calls. :grin:

ES

Dont worry "Evil" there is a fair time left before they will put a Pre-Payment meter in. At worst case you will receive a letter saying that you are being taking to the local Magistrates Court for an Application for a Warrant of Entry. By law they have to give you a Minimum of 14 days notice but in reality it is at least 28 days. You have the right to challenge the Warrant in court which normally results in the Agent withdrawing the application or the Magistrate adjourning the hearing for a new date (this is because the Agent will be applying for up to 20 Warrants and doesnt want to hold up the other applications. Hopefully at this stage you have come to some agreement with N Power and no further action is taken. All this takes about 3 months in total so I suggest start making the payments at the amount you can afford which will also go in your favour if it does go to court. Hope this helps.