Help please Legal Issue, Barclays removed funds without permission

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5854 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Everyone

Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong area, but I need some help and was told you are a wonderful group with loads of knowledge and support.

I am not working and have a loan with barclays, as I couldnt meet the full payments, a payment arrangement was made for £50 minimum per month and I said if I had extra I would obviously pay extra in which I did.

The arrangement hasnt ended yet, however I received a rude letter from Barclays telling me it had ended (apparently because I paid in extra money).

When I telephoned today I was told they had removed sums of money from my current account on two different occasions over the last week or so (all that goes in there is my benefit money) and they did not have my permission to do this. This will also incur extra charges as presumably the bills the money was supposed to cover wouldnt have been paid.

To me this is theft. Can I report it to the police? Will they get arrested??

After a lot of fuss they have put back all the money except the £50 that isnt due until 5 May. Can I take action against them?

Any help gratefully appreciated

Can I take action against them?
No, it's called set-off and will be buried in the small print of your T&C's

From Barclays website:

7.6 YOU AUTHORISE US TO DEBIT ANY ACCOUNT WITH US IN ANY CURRENCY TO REDUCE OR REPAY ANY AMOUNTS YOU MAY OWE US ON ANY ACCOUNT (INCLUDING ON CARD ACCOUNTS YOU HOLD WITH US, AND ANY OTHER AMOUNTS YOU MAY OWE US), EITHER IN YOUR OWN NAME OR JOINTLY WITH ANYONE ELSE. WE WILL TELL YOU IF WE DO THIS.

From Barclays website:WE WILL TELL YOU IF WE DO THIS.

The whole point Michael is they dont tell me first! I find out and confront them!!!

Read it again. Nothing about telling you first or even when.

Im sure they cant off set if it is benefit money,someone who knows more than me will be along to confirm but Im sure Ireda somewhere that they cant touch benefit money

Sorry, this is a myth

agree completely michael it just says we will tell you!!!!!

Its like me posting a thread saying come to my birthday party with no further details.

But when I opened the accounts the internet didnt exist but I am sure they will get round it someway.

I am so lucky that I can find it funny at times. You have to have a sense of humour

So it wasn`t a myth then?

:grin:

NEVER TALK TO A ---D.C.A ON PHONE

-----------------------------------------------------

Any Advice given by me is based on solely on my experiance or opnion. I have no Legal background.

If i have helped in any way please feel free to click my scales

Thank You blue:grin:

No, it's very definitely not a myth.

I've done the same thing with Lloyds in the past. They were really p*ssed off but they refunded the money and charges for me as well and gave me an extra £20 ex gratia payment to say sorry

• 2 weeks later...
No, it's very definitely not a myth.

I've done the same thing with Lloyds in the past. They were really p*ssed off but they refunded the money and charges for me as well and gave me an extra £20 ex gratia payment to say sorry

Yes, I agree.

A&L put a whole load of charges on my account and within a month the total was over £500! Just of charges!

They closed my account and threatened legal action.

I wrote a letter to them and quoted the Social Security Act about my benefits and gave them 14 days to respond or I would take it further.

They cancelled all the charges within a week but still closed my account.

It does obviously work.

Hi yes they can do this,been doing it for as long as i can remember at least 30 years.

thats why if you have cc debts or loans that you may default on and those companies are part of the same organisation, then you need to open a parachute bank account with a bank that has no ties to any possible creditors you may have.

Please note i have no legal training any advice i give comes from my own experience and from what i have learned on this site