Just signed 12 month AST but had to leave job, help?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5850 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

I am going through a dispute at work and it looks like I will be resigning leaving me with no work or therefore income!

I have just signed 11/04 a 12 month AST and want to know if I am really stuffed into having pay the 12 months/stay here or whether I can back out without losing the deposit etc?

Any questions to clarify please ask and help gratefully received.

Thanks

Aequitas..you're not a landlord are you lol!

JonCris..you're right but have no option. Resign now and keep reference and last 6 years job record or give them their day and get sacked losing everything in less time than my notice paid in lieu from resigning!

Looking at the possibility of getting a lodger in (with agent permission of course!) but would mean the landlord keeps his 12 month contract rather than have me walk and get the equivalent of 1 months money notice (from the deposit)

Sorry my first answer was a bit abrupt.

My natural sympathies lie with tenants rather than landlords. However, I confess I do get a little annoyed with people who freely sign contracts and then ask how to get out of them. My annoyance was heightened as I am looking after a very annoying cat who jumped up and walked in front of the computer screen at an inopportune moment. I'll try and be more helpful.

You need to step back a bit.

First, do you really need to resign?

You have to live somewhere.

If you do lose your job, benefits may be available.

If you do lose your job and for some reason benefits are not available, you can stay put until it reaches the stage that the landlord obtains a court order for possession; that way you are not deemed to have made yourself intentionally homeless.

The bottom line is that the landlord is under no obligation to release you and can maintain the tenancy and the obligation to pay rent. However, if you cannot pay the rent, if he is sensible he will cut his losses and look for another tenant. So, if you do lose your job and have no prospect of getting another one soon and feel it is best to give up the property, speak to the landlord. He may be willing to release you.

Perhaps if could give us clue as to your employment problems we might be able to help there & that might be a way to go

Hi, yeh I am in the other area dealing with that. Fact is I have allegations against that quite simply I will not come away with a job over. On top of that I actually couldn't go back if they did just warn me for instance, not after the way they are treating me right now :Cry:

Sorry my first answer was a bit abrupt.

My natural sympathies lie with tenants rather than landlords. However, I confess I do get a little annoyed with people who freely sign contracts and then ask how to get out of them. My annoyance was heightened as I am looking after a very annoying cat who jumped up and walked in front of the computer screen at an inopportune moment. I'll try and be more helpful.

You need to step back a bit.

First, do you really need to resign?

You have to live somewhere.

If you do lose your job, benefits may be available.

If you do lose your job and for some reason benefits are not available, you can stay put until it reaches the stage that the landlord obtains a court order for possession; that way you are not deemed to have made yourself intentionally homeless.

The bottom line is that the landlord is under no obligation to release you and can maintain the tenancy and the obligation to pay rent. However, if you cannot pay the rent, if he is sensible he will cut his losses and look for another tenant. So, if you do lose your job and have no prospect of getting another one soon and feel it is best to give up the property, speak to the landlord. He may be willing to release you.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I appreciate your sentiment at first and I really didn't sign expecting this position. I don't actuallly want to "get out" as such and will speak to the landlord and see that if I get him another tenant maybe he would release me etc.

Your advice is helpful if all else fails.

Cheers all :)