Help!!!!!

Cazz22
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5865 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi bought an "03" plate Peugeot 206 cc on 3rd March - my baby!! Love it! Bought it from a suzuki dealers not far from where I live! So had just over a month, bought it with just over 22,000 and I have put on it about a 1000 miles now.

Until over the weekend it started bringing up a anti pollution fault and today low and behold it has brought up a a Catalytic Converter Fault! It has been running very "lumpy" and my other halfs says its only running on 3 cylinders - quite sick of it at the mo! Also, it broke down on a corner and wouldnt turn at all! Panicked as I hadnt took my phone out with me, managed to get it going again, but was well scared!!

Have read on the forums about the Sale of Goods Act - can anyone help me with what I should do?

Thanks

Cx

Forgot to add - they sold me the car stating that they would do a service and it had full service history, the only thing was that the last servcie done by a Peugeot dealer hadnt stamped the book but there was a receipt in the book - checked the receipt after all the issues I had, it wasnt for a service but it looks like the replacement of a exhaust - rang up peugeot and they stated that they did a service but it was a basic change of oil etc... as a gesture of goodwill to the customer - they didnt expand on this!! Makes me wonder! They have agreed to stamp teh book, but the suzuki dealer that I bought it form only did an intermediate servcie again the change of fluids etc... Therefore it hasnt had a full service since 2005 - 3 years ago!! We found this out by taking out the air filter - it was that clogged up it was making the engine flood!!!

I would appreciate any help that you can give me in this matter!

coil packs are a common problem on pugs, bizzarly the techs would not fit any other spark plugs other than the ones that say made in germany on them - ie bosch. but it was always luck of the draw which ones peugeot would supply. good luck.

Update - Suzuki have taken my car and they are "repairing" it - they have given me a courtesy car - a Suzuki Swift with the garages name plastered all over the sides - it is like a little tank I hate it ! I Definately NOT as cool as my 206cc!!! Will let you knwo what happens next!!!

As I work in FE and HE within the mechanical engineering sector (also a mech eng undergrad, snowed under with assignments!) I also have previous experience as a vehicle tech for XXXtroen! I would always ask for the old parts to be in the car when I collect it after a service or do a little trick, for those of you who are not familiar with mechanicals (no wish to be sexist as I work with a female mech engineer!) get a UV pen, and mark the date or your name on the oil filter/air filter, then check it when you get the car back, you'd be suprised!!

Thanks for that chasin sunsets! I will definately do that for any future repairs / services that I have!! :p

The car is in at the garage at the mo being repaired - apparently!!

They rang me yesterday saying that they have repalaced the air filter, the oil filter, fuel filter, replaced the spark plugs - I will definately be able to tell on the air filter as it so so dirty and clogged up - it should be clean!!! They have doen a dianostic check and deceted 2 mis fires - they ordered a new coil pack and it has today been sorted - so I can pick it up tonight!

Have another question that possibly someone could help me with - when my car broke down when I was turning the corner and totally cut off and the steering jammed and the brakes stopped working - I couldnt steer teh car properly so I hit the curb and damaged the underside sill of the passenger side of the car.

The garage has said that they will not repair this - my argument is that if the fault would not have been there then the damage wouldn tno have happened - does anyone know if I am in the right for asking for this to be done aswell??

Got my car back from the garage and it seems they may have fixed the mechanical fault - we'll see in the morning when its a cold start!!!

They are still refusing to repair the bodywork - they gave me a quote of about £1000 to repair the sill damage - they told me I would ned a whole new section it would need to be sawn off and a new part I assume welded into place.

I have taken advice from the employee assistance programme that is ran at my work and they have said it is a consequential loss from the original breach of contact - they did not provide a car that was fit for the purpose!!

If anyone could me any advice on if they have had this problem it would be much appreciated!!!

Have another question that possibly someone could help me with - when my car broke down when I was turning the corner and totally cut off and the steering jammed and the brakes stopped working - I couldnt steer teh car properly so I hit the curb and damaged the underside sill of the passenger side of the car.

I think this shows one of the failings in the present standard of driving tuition and testing. The brakes 'didn't' stop working nor the steering 'jam'.

When the engine is not running, you will not have a vacuum which operates a device (servo) that reduces the amount of pressure you have to apply to the pedal in order for the brakes to operate. If you had pressed a little harder, the brakes would have worked fine.

The same with the steering, when the engine is stopped, the steering assistance pump is not running so the steering becomes harder to turn, the slower you are moving, the harder to turn the wheel.

If the driving schools taught properly they would tell, or even show, their pupils this. It is usually in the drivers handbook supplied by the manufacturer.

I would say that you will not get satisfaction in your quest to get them to replace the sill free of charge as lack of knowledge or driving experience would have contributed to the damage.

I think this shows one of the failings in the present standard of driving tuition and testing. The brakes 'didn't' stop working nor the steering 'jam'.

When the engine is not running, you will not have a vacuum which operates a device (servo) that reduces the amount of pressure you have to apply to the pedal in order for the brakes to operate. If you had pressed a little harder, the brakes would have worked fine.

The same with the steering, when the engine is stopped, the steering assistance pump is not running so the steering becomes harder to turn, the slower you are moving, the harder to turn the wheel.

If the driving schools taught properly they would tell, or even show, their pupils this. It is usually in the drivers handbook supplied by the manufacturer.

I would say that you will not get satisfaction in your quest to get them to replace the sill free of charge as lack of knowledge or driving experience would have contributed to the damage.

Now there is an individual who doesnt need car insurance.:rolleyes:

Before makeing a post that sounds a little insulting i think you should get all the facts.

I have had something very similar happen to me and when you dont expect it you can't plan for it.

Cazz i think in future you should take the corner faster so your steering is more responsive (dont worry about the car infront):rolleyes: you may also have to hit your unasissted brakes a little harder and only use junctions that are as wide as the M6:D

Hope this helps

got to agree with conniff, cars have power everything nowadays and drivers just don't know how to react when something different happens. how many times have i told people who ring up telling me they are locked out of their car because the remote doesn't work, to put the key into the door lock and turn it.

honest.

I am NOT some young girl driving her first car!!! I am have been driving for 10 years and have never had an insurance claim or an accident!!!! :rolleyes:

I would like to thank Lee for his comments!!! Maybe I would agree that if driving tuition was better then maybe this would not have happened, i may have been better prepared, however in the situation on an extremely busy road, the last thing i thought was going to happen was my car cut out!! As for the comment of pressing on the breaks a little harder - I am aware of how to do an emergency stop, however the problem was NOT with the breaks but more with the steering - the sudden change in weight made it virtually impossible to make the turn with the junction being so tight AND so BUSY!!! (Maybe its just a female thing!!)

As regards central locking - I now have ALL the answers, it make me shudder to think I have been trapped outside my vehicle wondering what the key does!

P.S I wonder why women's car insurance in cheaper than MENS.

Any MEN who would want to comment in future I would appreciate constructive comments and NOT Derogatory comments.

THANK YOU!

There was no intention in my post to put anyone down and it was certainly not intended to be sexist.

You said

the steering jammed and the brakes stopped working

I said the brakes did not stop working and the steering did not jam, and I explained why. This has nothing to do with an 'emergency stop', and it is of no consequence how long you have been driving.

When you lose servo assistance to the brakes it has no affect whatsoever on how well they are working. Brakes work just as good when the engine is not running as when the engine is running, it only requires more pressure on the pedal to get the same braking effect, and the same goes for the steering.

I am have been driving for 10 years and have never had an insurance claim or an accident!!!! :rolleyes:

You have now.

Hi, Same thing happened with my range rover not long ago, engine power was lost and loss of efficiency in brakes. Most modern cars rely on auxillary servo power (as was said in previous posts) for power steering and brakes. We have just bought a Reanult Scenic on a 54 plate with 27k on the clock, I opened the bonnet and could just make out the alternator. It will be going to the garage for a service and let them take the responsability. My other car, An sierra xr4x4, is serviced by myself as the last time it had an MOT, the guy put it on a rolling road for a 2wd and it nearly went through his workshop...if only he read the V5 or the computer description stating ALL WHEEL DRIVE..anyway, sorry for going off tangent.. I would impoly that the garage has a duty of care and the damage should be repaired by them if they carried out a service or supplied you with it in the first instance..