ATM Machine telling fibs !

HomerRamone
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5883 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I had a look about the site, and couldnt see anything about this, so thought id ask here. (Id seen similar threads in similar topics - apologies if im posting in the wrong place !)

I visited my local Nat West ATM machine last Friday and withdrew £20. This morning I visited the NatWest site to check my balance, and found this £20 has been recorded as £220.

I immediatley rang customer services, who said they couldnt see the withdrawal I was referring too. I asked her to do the math on what had come out of the account since then , as compared to what was there prior to this and explain the difference. Ultimatley she couldnt explain, and said she said she would have to put me thru to another dept.

This dept put me thru to another dept, who also couldnt see the withdrawal I was referring to, but said that I should print out the online statement, and go down to the bank to fill out an 'ATM DISPUTE' form.

I went to the bank. Would you believe the woman there said she couldnt see the amount either... So I showed her the printed statment I took with me. Lo and behold she could suddenly see it !!

She said that they would have to 'balance the ATM machine' took my telephone number and has said she will ring back tommorow.

Now id like to think she is going to ring back, and say 'yes the machine messed up, the money will be back in right away', however, im a bit of a pessemist and expecting instead a call along the lines of 'Weve checked the machine, it all balances theres nothing we can do'.

Assuming the latter, where do i stand ? Is there anything I should know before she rings me back or anything ?

Any advice appreciated !

Thanks.

What I would suggest is not to be a pessimist, but to be an optimist.

You've just as much chance of being wrong but you'll enjoy life more.

Sorry, couldn't resist that.

I believe that the accounts in a bank have to balance to the last penny.

The tray will show £200 up if you only had £20 out. I'm sure you'll be OK.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

What I would suggest is not to be a pessimist, but to be an optimist.

You've just as much chance of being wrong but you'll enjoy life more.

Yeah but as a pessemist if things do go right, im really happy :-)

A pessimist looks at half a bottle of whisky and says,"That bottle is half-empty."

An optimist looks at half a bottle of whisky and says,"That bottle is half-full."

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

They have now rang back and basically said that the machine balanced so basically i have more chance of becoming pope than getting the dosh back.

The woman on the phone said something about my partner using the ATM. (Which she did - I was sitting in the car). I didnt actually say 'yes she was' I said I wasnt sure. Anyway to cut a long story short, she basically said that if I HAD divulged my PIN to my partner then it was all my fault anyway and I was definatley backing a loser.

So what she effectively did was say 'Never trust your partner, she is lying, and she has stiffed you of £200'.

Of course she didnt actually say it that way, but thats ultimatley what shes saying AFAICS>

It was a NatWest ATM outside my NatWest branch.

As for divulging my PIN, yes of course I realise im meant to keep it a secret. But are they not surely saying 'do not trust your spouse'.

As it happens I would consider the circumstances warranted divulging my PIN. I was in hospital for around 5 weeks - from christmas until the end of January undergoing major surgery. My partner had more than enough to worry about without having to worry about getting money out of the bank whilst I was stuck in there.

I mentioned this on the phone, and was basically given some pish about giving her a letter of authority (or something similar) which she could bring to the bank blah blah. So shes expected to have to fart around getting a letter from me, having to make it to the bank during business hours etc etc - and this is on top of all the other stuff that was going on at that point. I think she had enough to worry about to be honest !

Furthermore, I dont really care for what is effectivley an accusation from the bank. Because to me what they are saying is, essentially, 'You gave your partner your pin ? Then she must have stolen the money'.