Wages overpaid, zero invoice,now disputed!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5905 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

My final wages from a council last year (March 07) included payment to the end of the month when I had finished up halfway through a month. This amopunted to £630 excess which I alerted them to. It tool them another couple of months to get back in touch with me to arrange repayment of this. We disputed the repayments as they wanted it in full or in two installments which I disagreed with, the error was entirely with them etc. The employee I was negotiating with on the phone said she would take it to her manager and get back to me. Again I heard nothing for a couple of weeks and then recieved an invoice through the post that was marked 0.00, zero pounds and zero pence. I kept the invoice, waited and waited and heard nothing from May until now. Due to the end of the financial year stuff I suspect, I have now received an invoice for the full amount and a letter saying that I still owe them.

I have replied with a copy of the zero invoice stating that this was my final communication from them which I read as owing them no monies. Any thoughts, advice on what I can expect next etc?

Thanks,

A

It says you worked out the overpayment, are you sure your figures are correct? If you told them that they had overpaid you, they would just accept that and ask for it's return.

You need their calculation (on paper) to confirm what you believe is an overpayment.

Before paying out anything, ask them for a re-calculated final payslip and see if it tallies with what you think.

I hope you missed a finger when counting up and you made the error.

Hi All,

Excuse me for just jumping in but I would question if any of this money has to be repaid at all.

I beleive that if you are overpaid by an employer you cannot legaly be forced to repay any monies.

Beau

Please note: I am not a lawyer and as such any advice I give is purely from a laymans point of view;-)

Just picked this up from another thread sorry for any confusion caused

Beau

Overpayment of Wages

An employer is allowed to recover overpayments of wages, if the amount was quite large the employer would generally be expected to inform and then negotiate a repayment schedule with the employee. An employee need not pay back the overpayment if they can prove to a court that they did not know nor could they have reasonably been expected to have known of the overpayment.

Please note: I am not a lawyer and as such any advice I give is purely from a laymans point of view;-)