when is it english or scottish law to use

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5764 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:) Hiya, new here and have been reading a bit and was wondering when you are dealing with a company that you owe money to and they are based and registered in england but you are scottish and live in scotland which law do you follow the english legislation or the scottish and which do they have to follow.

My own prob was with Choice for a debt of £960 which went into default in 2001. Westcot started collecting in 2005/06 and then moved debt on to credit security ltd. Just this past few weeks got letter from Westcot on behalf of their clients Phoenix for the same debt. Go figure (idiots:-x ) Have since been in touch with westcot and credit security and finally got through to westcot debt management who said "yes you have been paying this debt since blah blah blah balance is now only £190 and credit security notify them when I make a payment on the account they are both going to send out statements showing all the payments. Westcot have also promised to get in touch with clients Phoenix and tell them that this debt is already being collected and the right it off. i will wait and see but will not hold my breath.

So what I was wondering just out of curiosity cause I am paying this off, is what law would they use to collect this, the english version or the scots. E.g it is statuet barred in england 6 years here it is 5 so if they came to me the first time in 2005 could I have claimed this under scottish law even though they are an english company. :???: :???: If you've read this far I hope you get my drift. :):lol: Never one to keep things short. thanks for any advice

As haggis states if you reside in Scotland they would have to use the Scottish Court system and Scots law. Have a read here for a full explination as to why.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 4 months later...