Unfair Deduction??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5911 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

My friend took a job at the beginning of January as a home carer. She was not told certain things during the interview i.e that she would not be paid for the time which she travelled between clients and when she worked out the amount of money she earned she found it wasn't worth it. When she recieved the contract of employment she did not sign or send it back as she did not agree with the terms and had decided to resign. She then resigned and has just recieved her pay cheque, the company has deducted £45 for a CRB check which she was not informed would happen and as she hasn't signed anything we wondered if this is actually allowed??

Could anyone kindly offer advice?

Many thanks

Hello maud26

Ok, could you answer the following please?- (Specific if poss)

1 Date of interview and who was present.

2 Date of employment start.

3 Date when contract was presented to her.

4 Date of resignation.

5 Any grievance raised.

6 Also, how was the post advertised and does she retain a copy?

7 Finally, did she resign another job for this one?

I don't know if it is relevant or not but my sister took a job as a carer at the weekends to boost he income whilst she was at uni, and she too never got paid for travelling in between clients, she quit and works in Morrisons for far more money now.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

I suppose that it all depends on how widespread the clients are. My wife has worked as a carer for 4 years and does 4-5 jobs a night which are around 10 minutes from each other. She doesn't get paid for travel between jobs (note - not many companies will pay for this as the wages are paid in the main by the client/social services on a strictly 'per hour' rate) but gets tax relief on all of her mileage so basically doesn't pay tax on any of her wages. For just under 30 hours a week she takes home about £210.

In common with most employers, my wife had to pay for her own CRB check (paid separately not deducted from wages) - CRBs are nearly always paid for by the applicant unfortunately (I had an issue with this at the time but it is basically a case of 'If you want the job then you need one of these' rather than 'we really want you to work for us so let us pay for it'). Your friend would have had to authorise the request for a CRB check so really should have had the conditions explained to her - in signing the forms is she sure that there wasn't one which confirmed that she agreed to pay for it?

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!