need help getting my money back

bartonski
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6207 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi guys,

im pretty crap with money. Although i work all the hours i have, never go out or buy anything fancy i still remain in dept. Every month for the past two years without fail natwest charges me 38.00 in fees. This ontop of interest pushes me over my overdraft for the next month. Its a cycle which i just cant get out of. I realize some people are writing to their banks and having some sucsess. Where can i get templates for these letters? can anyone help?

thanks in advance,

Rob

hello and welcome to the BAG, if you click the link under this post, it will take you to the faq section, where all your questions will be answered and it will inform you how to procede, please take the time to read through it carefully, when you've finished, start a new thread in the appropriate bank forum and have any other questions answered there, b.o.l. :)

HSBC- £4995, settled payment in full

if you found this post helpful, please click the scales (top right of post), ta ;)

if you're not sure what to do?, Read the FAQ's

Unsure about what to claim, or confused about overdraft interest? Charges explanation

Welcome.

Before you start please have a thorough read of the FAQs (there's a Step by Step guide here too). You may want to print these out so they are always to hand. Then look at other threads in NatWest's forum, so as you know what to expect along the way

You need to spend 2 or 3 days gradually getting your head round everything. There's a lot to take in, but it's time well spent and will ensure that you succeed in your claim without problems

When you feel confident that you understand the process and the various stages involved, post your progress and any questions on this thread

Good luck

Hi,

The Template letters are here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/

With regards to your current situation, I would recommend you contact Natwest and explain to them your situation. As a responsible lender they do have to be sympathetic towards their customers and the chances are something can be worked out to stop the charges occurring. I had a similar problem with HSBC.

Hope this helps.

Completed:

Woolwich: Received £30

Intelligent Finance: Received £1100 after two years and approximately 20 letters, 6 pieces of hair and an eyeball.

Barclaycard: Received £90

HFC: Received £170

• 2 weeks later...

ok thanks guys. i opted to get past statements and payed 5 pounds in total for 4 years worth. Natwest have charged me a total of 924.50 during those 4 years. On some occasions ive been charged for going over my agreed overdraft limit only because i was pushed over by another charge the month before. On my way to sending the first letter but need to know what the schedule of charges are?

sorry for the dumb questions.....

ok great ive found the template. just one thing on the letter i dont understand.

'What I require

I calculate that you have taken £XXXXX plus £XXX which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. Total £XXXXX '

How do i work out the overdraft interest for the sum taken?

There are 2 instances of interest you can claim:

1.When you go overdrawn the bank will charge you interest, perfectly lawfully.

However, if part of your overdraft is made up of penalty fees, they are also charging you interest on these too and it is this interest which you are entitled to claim back, but it's tricky to separate out from the total interest figure.

Vampiress has a spreadsheet, (the 2nd one), in the bank templates library, which attempts to calculate this

It's quite complex and unless your claim is large often doesn't amount to that much, so for simplicity's sake, some people don't bother

This is the interest referred to in the preliminary and LBA letters.

2. 8% interest on your claim, but only when you submit a claim at court. Don't add this interest before.moneyclaim

• 2 weeks later...

Rang Natwest for 6 years worth of statements costing 5 pounds. Charges total 992 which is a lot less than i though but still enough to do something about. sent the preliminary letter yesterday to both my banks address and the address in boreham wood. thought id cover both bases....but now im starting to think that might have been a stupid mistake....or is that me just being paranoid?

i guess alot of people here are getting replies stating that they are not going to refund any of the charges. does this mean i can start with the LBO now or shall i still wait a further 14 days from when they recieved the letter?

recieved 6 years of statments after ringing customer services. the whole lot cost me £5 and came pretty quickly. Sent the fisrt letter to both my banks local address and to Borehamwood.on the 22/06. Thought id play it safe.... recieved a reply from Stuart Higley stating that they considered it and found the charges to be fair etc.. Recieved another letter 01/08 probably from the letter i sent to my bank which then got passed onto the customer services department in wimbledon. This was from Mark Chamberlain and stated that they need to look into the matter further and that they would contact me within the next 10 days.

I guess sending anything to Boreham wood is a waste of time

• 2 weeks later...

ok recieved a letter from mark chamberlain saying that they have reviewed the circumstances and have found that people who are recieving their money back are doing so as they have credit cards. current account charges are legal and fair as i was told about them from the beginning. Hmmm... is this right?

• 5 months later...

hi, i started to claim charges a while ago. After a letter saying that they would not refund anything i quit im afraid to say. Recentley i recieved a charge of £35. called the bank and asked them about it. the guy referred to it as a cheque garantee fee. I this wht they call them now? anyway i wont go into detail about the charge. I asked for them to waiver the charge. I got through to the lending department where they told me that they had already shown me a gesture of goodwill last year by refunding a charge. However they were willing to refund half and that that would be it...no more good will for me! I asked him why would natwest refund 6 years worth of charges to some people and only give me £15 back. 6 years worth is a big bunch of goodwill, but the guy couldnt speak anymore about it and that was it.

Guest dwarren

Hi bartonski,

Go for it on reclaiming your charges. You will need to make sure you read all the FAQ's first which can be found here.

Don't be afraid to ask questions as people on these forums are very supportive and will help you every step of the way.

Remember the money is yours and if you follow the steps to the 'T' there is no reason you will not get every penny back!

Firstly you will need to send a SAR to Natwest with a £10 cheque / postal order to get your last 6 years worth of statements. Here is an example of a SAR that I sent to Natwest on my claim (My claim can be viewed here)

National Westminster Bank

135 Bishopsgate,

London

EC2M 3UR

02nd February 2007

Data Protection Act 1998

[template letter removed from thread - the templates are available to registered users only]