Box Junction Confusion

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5953 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi People, I wonder if someone could help.

I received a fine on the 07/09/07 (31 entering and stopping in a box junction when prohibited) streatham vale (eardley road)

I was clearly turning right as that is the only option you can do when you are moving from that side of the road. I had read that you can enter a box junction and turn right as that was aloud in the LAW.

Then I got a fine from Lambeth....!!!! I read some of the articles here and wrote back to them stating that I should not have the fine due to the current law on box junctions.... and stated why...

NOW... today I have received a letter from them (NOTICE OF REJECTION OF REPRESENTATIONS)

They state that ... they have rejected the representation.

I fell they are saying that I entered the box junction, QUOTE" YOU MUST NOT ENTER THE BOX UNTIL YOU EXIT ROAD IS CLEAR. THE ONLY TIME THAT YOU ARE ALLOWED TO ENTER THE BOX AND WAIT IS WHEN YOU WANT TO TURN RIGHT, AND ARE ONLY STOPPED FROM DOING SO BY ONCOMING TRAFFIC, OR OTHER VEHICLEAS WAITING TO TURN RIGHT"

That’s what happened I tried to turn right and another vehicle was blocking me, so as not to stop the flow of traffic I then attempted to move around the vehicle.

Am I right? CAN I appeal or must I accept my fate and pay the fine?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

From section 174 of the Highway Code:-

"Box junctions. These have criss-cross yellow lines painted on the road (see 'Road markings'). You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right."

My intepretation of that is that you can enter to turn right as long as your exit road is clear and you are stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic or other vehicles waiting to turn right.

However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right."

"My interpretation is that you CAN enter when you turn right (as I was) but another car (also turning right) was prohibiting me from continuing..

I think they are trying to nail me for "entering and stopping in a box junction" and are ignoring the fact that I was trying to turn right.

That’s what happened I tried to turn right and another vehicle was blocking me, so as not to stop the flow of traffic I then attempted to move around the vehicle.

I find this bit confusing:

If you were waiting in line ready to turn right how are you stopping the flow of traffic?

You say you tried to move around the vehicle. Did you go to the left or the right?

It may be that what the council think is that you wanted to go straight on but found yourself in the wrong lane. Will the cameras shoe you turning right?

If they will, I would write back and tell the council that you have told them you were turning right, they have accepted that you can do so, that the cameras will show that you did and that if this gets to the ajudicators you will ask for an award of costs for a vexatious defence.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

Hi, at this junction you can only turn right or left and there are 2 lanes to do so. I was in the right lane and the road ONLY turns right (T-Junction)

I have not asked for the video footage but did get some photos (been looking for them since made the original post) I will phone lambeth now and see if i can get the video now.

regards

matt