• Tweets

• why waste money on scammers? all you need in law is to prove something was sent. use a 2nd class stamp and get free proof of posting from any po counter. dx  
    • Tracked is NOT necessary. 1st or 2nd class will suffice. Just make sure you obtain free proof of posting and KEEP IT SOMEWHERE SAFE...
    • I've given it a try, I expect alot of work required so will give my eyes and brain a rest as I'm getting word blind.. and I'll come back later following your initial bashings Thanks IN THE ******** County Court Claim No. [***] BETWEEN: LC Asset 2 S.A.R.L CLAIMANT AND [***] DEFENDANT ************ _________________________ ________ WITNESS STATEMENT OF [***] _________________________ ________ I, [***], being the Defendant in this case will state as follows;   I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in this claim.   1. 1. I understand that the claimant is an Assignee, a buyer of defunct or bad debts, which are bought on mass portfolios at a much-reduced cost to the amount claimed and which the original creditors have already wrote off as a capital loss and claimed against taxable income as confirmed in the claimants witness statement exhibit by way of the Deed of Assignment. As an assignee or creditor as defined in section 189 of the CCA this applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights. This means that when an assignee purchases debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information). The assignee becomes the creditor under the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party. 2. The Claim relates to an alleged Credit Card agreement between the Defendant and Bank of Scotland plc. Save insofar of any admittance it is accepted that the Defendant has had contractual agreements with Bank of Scotland plc in the past, the Defendant is unaware as to what alleged debt the Claimant refers. The Defendant has not entered any contract with the Claimant. 3. The Defendant requested a copy of the CCA on the 24/12/2022 along with the standard fee of £1.00 postal order, to which the defendant received a reply from the Claimant dated 06/02/2023. To this date, the Claimant has failed to disclose a valid agreement and proof as per their claim that this is enforceable, that Default Notice and Notice of Assignment were sent to and received by the Defendant, on which their claim relies. 4. The Claimant claims a Notice of Assignment was served on the 22/02/2022. This is denied. 5. The Claimant claims a Default Notice was served on the defendant. This is denied. 6. The Claimant is put to strict proof to verify and confirm that the exhibit *** is a true copy of the agreement and are the true Terms and Conditions as issued at the time of inception of the online application and execution of the agreement. 7. The Claimant further claims that the documents are sufficient to pursue a Judgement and are therefore copies of original documents in their possession. 8. Point 3 is noted and denied. The Claimant pleads that a default notice has been served upon the defendant as evidenced by Exhibit [***]. The claimant is put to strict proof to verify the service of the above in accordance with s136 and s196 Law of Property Act 1925. 9. Point 5 is noted and disputed. 10. Point 6 is noted and disputed. The Defendant cannot recall ever having received the notice of assignment as evidenced in the exhibit marked *** The claimant is put to strict proof to verify the service of the above in accordance with s136 and s196 Law of Property Act 1925. 11. Point 11 is noted and disputed. The Defendant requested a copy of the CCA on the 24/12/2022 along with the standard fee of £1.00 postal order, to which the defendant received a reply from the Claimant dated 06/02/2023. To this date, the Claimant has failed to disclose a valid agreement and proof as per their claim that this is enforceable, that Default Notice and Notice of Assignment were sent to and received by the Defendant, on which their claim relies. 12. Point 12 is noted, the Defendant doesn’t recall receiving contact where documentation is provided as per the Claimants obligations under CCA. In addition, the Claimant pleads letters were sent on dates given, yet those are not the letters evidenced in their exhibits *** (dates are wrong) 13. Point 13 is noted and denied. Claimant is put to strict proof to prove allegations. 14. The Claimant did not provide a true copy of the CCA in response to the Defendants request of 21/12/2022. Conclusion 15. Without the Claimant providing a valid true copy of the executed Credit agreement that complies with the CCA, the Claimant has no grounds on which to enforce this alleged debt. 16. The Claimant has been unjustly enriched at the expense of the Defendant by purchasing bulk debt at a greatly reduced cost and subrogating for the original creditor in trying to recuperate the full amount of the original debt 17. The Defendant was not given ample evidence to prove the debt and therefore was not required to enter into settlement negotiations. Should the debt be proved in the future, the Defendant is willing to enter into such negotiations with the Claimant. On receipt of this claim I could not recall the precise details of the agreement or any debt and sought clarity from the claimant by way of a Section 78 request. The Claimant failed to comply. I can only assume as this was due to the Claimant not having any enforceable documentation and issuing a claim in hope of an undefended default judgment. Statement of Truth I, ********, the Defendant, believe the facts stated within this Witness Statement to be true. Signed: _________________________ _______ Dated: _____________________
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Compensation-Abbey stop debit card while abroad?

lady_la
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5935 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I want compensation from Abbey. Can anyone give me advice?

I've just returned from a 3day trip to LA. My trip was a complete nightmare because Abbey put my debit card on stop on the 2nd day.

When I tried to withdraw money from an ATM, to enter a tournament (the reason I was in LA), my card was declined. I knew I had plenty of money in my account and it had worked hours earlier. I attempted to withdraw money from 2 more machines and a bank. ALL DECLINED.

This left me totally stranded. I had less than $10, no other cards, the battery on my phone was dead, and I was on my own, miles away from the hotel and unable to enter the tournament.

I have been with Abbey for over 15 years (I do not have any other accounts or cards). I also my mortgage and house insurance is with them. I travel abroad on average 4/5 times a year, always using my card. Never before has my debit card been declined.

Abbey has not told me I should contact them every time I plan to use my card abroad. And because I have not had any problems previously, it didn't cross my mind to inform them of my planned trip.

I had no means of contacting Abbey with no money. I was unable to do anything for the remainder of my holiday and was very distressed and felt very isolated. My trip had been ruined by Abbey’s action.

I am now back in the UK, feeling angry.

Customer services have been a waste of time. After being transferred from one department to another, on hold to their overseas call centre for over an hour they can’t even give me an accurate reason why my card was put on stop.

Abbeys actions have caused me a great deal of wasted expense and put me in a very daunting situation.

I want to take action against Abbey and claim for compensation. Can anyone give me advice on who I should go to, etc?

Thank you

Michelle

Card fraud abroad is rising increasingly fast, maybe ur bank stopped the card to safe guard your money not on propose, requesting a detailed reason as to why the card was stopped is the 1st step, going in all guns blazing, won't help anyone really would it, demanding compo for ur card being stopped is acceptable, but not straight away, you need the reasons 1st before going any further.....

Why you couldn't make contact while you were in LA is puzzling, every bank has numbers that can be phoned both at home and abroad...

Have you tryed using the card now ur back home and does it work, since you are at home, visit your local branch and discuss the matter with a manager.......better than ringing a customer care line......Its always better to take some currancy aswell as any card for such events happening, which i'm sure you don't need telling since you travel quite alot....I'd speak to a bank manager then place your complaint in writing to there head office, out-lining your concerns and explain what happened... Await there reply before making any demands......

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

I have a similar complaint ongoing with The Abbey, that they cut off my card whilst I was in The USA...

Thing is, I am currently embroiled in a 2 month complaint with the Complaints Department of The Abbey and, during the course of a conversation with them the day before I went to The USA I told them that I would be in The USA for a week and any calls for me will have to wait.

Needless to say, after 5 days of spending money on my card with no problems, I too had my card refused.

I spent $190 in phone calls from The USA to The UK phoning up Customer Services at 7am UK time when they opened to be told that I had to speak to their fraud department... Which opens at 9am UK time necessitating a second phone call...

When I got through to them they told me there was an unusual spending patten happenning with my card and they'd stopped it. I asked them why they had let me spend on it for 5 days before cutting it off? I asked them why, if I told them that I was going to be in The USA they didn't have it on record? And I asked why they just cut people off without making any attempt to contact them to find out if the unusual spending patten was anything to do with their customer?

They had no answer to any of my questions. Told me they would make my card valid again... Told me to take up my complaint with the Complaints Department... And then cut me off (of the phone...)

And so my complaint about The Abbey cutting me off has been added to my ongoing 2 month complaint which i am currently dealing with and I'm claiming the cost back of all my calls from the USA to the UK... $190.

By the way... You might like to know the phone number for Abbeys complaints department in Milton Keynes...

Its: 0845 600 6014

(Talking of complaints... I think I'll post the story of my ongoing Abbey complaint in this forum... Its VERY long but its worth spreading the word about how The Abbey appears to be the most incompetant organisation I have ever encounted.)

If they had not stopped the card and it had been a genuine fraud would you have been happy? I understand your frustration but overseas fraud is going UP as shywazz has stated. If your battery was dead then the bank had no way of contacting you which they do in instances when the card is stopped. If the transaction cannot be confirmed they will in all likelyhood stop the card.

However, I agree with you that the customer services response when you have returned has been appalling. It is worth writing to Abbey asking for a written explanation, asking that as you have travelled abroad 4 or 5 times a year, why this would have been treated as an unusual transactions. Once you have a response then post here for some more advice.

Its happend to me as well, not with the Shabby but with Barclays. I was on the M6 service station trying to fill up with Diesel. Had plenty of money in my account, but to my amazement, the card was denied. After what seemed ages at the front of the queue I was refered back to Barclays. I called only to find I was speaking to an Indian person in India, that's the last thing I wanted. After many minutes of not getting anywhere, because they were asking stupid security questions I was not aware of, like, what was you car rental company you used in Portugal, back in June called ????

I got so ****ed I lost it, next thing I find I'm speaking to the fraud section of Barclays. (english) I went crazzy with the lady the other end.

As far as I was concerned they had no "Right" to stop my card and leave me stuck in the middle of nowhere with no cash. I insisted they put it on file that for whatever reasons they are not to stop my card, period.

I am an avid online banker and check my account on a daily basis. If anything went funny with my card I would find out before they did.

They appologised and we left it at that.

It can be so embarrassing, demoralising & frustrating when it happens.

Just~Me

Please dont think the picture is me.!!! I couldnt find one of myself so decided to use one of the wife. :):)

If your battery was dead then the bank had no way of contacting you which they do in instances when the card is stopped. If the transaction cannot be confirmed they will in all likelyhood stop the card.

In my case I was in the USA when I was cut off and they made absolutely no attempt to contact me on the mobile number they have for me, which is triband and works in The States...

They cut you off and expect YOU to contact THEM, rather, as I suggested to The Fraud Department, that THEY contact you BEFORE cutting you off, to see if you know anything about these so called 'unusual' transactions...

They always blame it on 'The System'...

The System cut you off etc etc yadda yadda...

When I went on a spending spree following an insurance payout I was at the till in argos (long queue behind) and the cashier called the manager over, she phones the bank and I answer lots of security questions, then the transaction was allowed to proceed. Whilst this was a bit embarrassing I actually thought it was a reasonable way of handling what the bank could have perceived as a fraud attempt. They were satisfied and I got my purchase. This was the co-op.

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

As far as I was concerned they had no "Right" to stop my card and leave me stuck in the middle of nowhere with no cash. I insisted they put it on file that for whatever reasons they are not to stop my card, period.

Just~Me

Well I don't think that is a wise move.

You are abroad (or at home) and taken ill, somone lifts your card and away they go shopping, what will you say when you leave hospital and find your account empty?

You go to a restaurant and your card is 'cloned' and sent to some eastern european country, as usually happens, and some time later the same thing happens.

Just two senarios, but shouldn't be dismissed.

conniff,

Wise or not, thats the chance I take....everything else is all hypothetical.....what if...what if...what if.

Just~Me

Please dont think the picture is me.!!! I couldnt find one of myself so decided to use one of the wife. :):)

Credit card fraud is a huge problem and it's getting worse. But it's not card theft that poses the greatest problem - it's card cloning.

A fraudulent card transaction takes place every eight seconds and cloning is the biggest type of credit card fraud.

Last year card fraud losses totalled £424.6 million and the problem is getting worse.

I don't think £424 million is hypothetical. As long as you know what your risking.

To all the Abbey customers in here who have had problems with them- The solution is simple:

Move to another bank which is gobally recognised- HSBC/Barclays/Natwest.

These are global banks whos card systems work far better than a frivolous shoddy uk bank like Abbey-

I too was with Abbey, and like you guys, I TOO had my card stopped during holiday- having withdrawn 50 quid on my first day! I was left for 2 weeks with no cash, and kept all receipts.

When i got back to the UK, i too was faced with the levels of customer service highlighted here- However, having got noweher with them, i then took legal advice,AND action against them-

Abbey could not substantiate the incident, nor could they justify it, and instead then turned corner and blamed it on a 'system error'.

Having received the summons for the court date, they apologised profusely, and repaid IN FULL all the amounts that holiday cost me in credit card bills.

They are CRAP, and would steer well clear of them- It is not through sheer luck they have found their way onto WATCHDOG either!

Whilst i sympathise with you all, remaining with Abbey after they have treated you like this, will undoubtably give this brainless bank another opportunity to do it to you again.

I have since transferred over to HSBC- and have NEVER had a SINGLE problem with them whatsoever- I did have to call them once from abroad, but they realised form my call i was not in the UK, and called me straight back, dealing with my problems IMMEDIATELY.

Now thats service.

I see this on the FOS website : may be of interesting reading

issue 64 - banking cases related to foreign travel

64/03

bank ‘stops’ customer’s debit card while she was travelling abroad

Shortly after retiring from her job as a primary school teacher, Mrs D went on a trip to Belize with three friends. Soon after she arrived she used her bank debit card without difficulty in several different shops. However, when she tried to make a purchase with the card a few days later she was alarmed to discover that the transaction would not go through.

Mrs D knew there were sufficient funds in her account to cover the purchase. And she had been intending to use the card later that day to withdraw the cash she needed for food and other expenses during the remainder of her trip. So she rang her bank urgently to find out what had gone wrong. The bank said its fraud department had identified some of the shops where she had used the card as ‘suspect’.

So, thinking that a fraudster might be using the card, the bank had placed a ‘stop’ on it. The bank agreed to get the stop lifted, but to Mrs D’s considerable annoyance, it told her that somebody would need to come into her branch in person before it could arrange this.

Mrs D telephoned her daughter, Mrs J, back in the UK and arranged for her to go into the bank to get the stop lifted. However, by then it was the Saturday of a bank holiday weekend in the UK, so Mrs J was unable to do anything until the bank opened again on the Tuesday.

Meanwhile, Mrs D was unable to use the card and had to borrow some money from one of the friends who was travelling with her. When she returned to the UK she complained to the bank, saying it should compensate her for the inconvenience and worry she had been caused.

complaint upheld

After looking into the details of the case, we concluded that the bank had acted reasonably in putting a stop on the card. It had good grounds for suspecting that Mrs D’s card had been used without her knowledge.

However, we thought that once it had become aware that Mrs D had made the transactions herself, and that she was relying on the card while she was abroad, it should have sorted the situation out quickly. The delay had caused Mrs D considerable worry and some embarrassment, in addition to the inconvenience, so we said it should pay her £400 in compensation.

This has happened to me 4 times in the last 3 months. Not abroad, but when I have been away from Home. I was in sheffield the other week and they blocked my card. Phoned up for the general CS monkey to say there is a flag on the account. Spoke to the (ignorant) fraud office who said there was no flag and that I didnt even try to use my card, or must of used a different card (i only have one?)

Last night when I was out in town they also blocked my card, 2 am, no money, no means of getting home. Luckily a family member was still awake,

I am fuming at them.

Hi - Just thought I would tell you of my experiences with Abbey whilst abroad. This time last year I was in New Zealand visiting friends who had emigrated there some two years previously. Thankfully I was staying with them as opposed to a hotel. I used an ATM in a local mall to withdraw around £500 NZD again knowing full well I had plenty of funds (I had planned the trip to coincide with pay days etc as well as savings)

No problems encountered, but next day I had to top up my payg mobile (O2) so called the top up line on my mobile (I needed to stay in touch with home as my daughter was due to give birth and she was also looking after my dog). Started the top up process, debit card declined! Re-tried thinking I had input the wrong number but same thing happened - card declined.

Didnt think too much about it at that time, thought it was my error, so left it. At 3am in the morning (remember the time zone) I was awoken by my mobile phone ringing - answered it (half asleep) was told it was Abbey Bank on the phone and could I confirm my post code. Well my response was WHAT THE HELL and half asleep I just replied I DONT THINK SO and hung up. Next morning I got up and relayed the convo to my friend, who also thought it strange (I at this time was thinking aoubt fraudsters, dont know why, but being asked for my postcode seemed strange to me) Anyway tried to top up my payg mobile (needed to keep in touch with home as daughter due togive birth) and lo and behold it would not accept my debit card. Called the Automated banking system, spoke to India and was told that acct was flagged and I had to call the Fraud dept based in Madrid!. Had to wait until 11pm that night due to time sifferences and called them. They said the card had been used in another country (yes me abroad on holiday in NZ were I am calling from!) Apologised, explained about fraud etc and said they would remove flag and card could be used within the next 4hrs. Phone call cost me £10 credit on my phone, but thought okay they doing their job so leave it and carry on holiday

Next morning tried again to top up, again, card declined. Called automated service again, told flag still on acct, card cannot be used. By this time I am spitting feathers. Had to wait again til night, recalled fraud dept, luckily same male answered my call. Profusely apologised, removed flag whilst I on phone. Asked his name and how to complain. Card now worked so happy I could continue to spend and enjoy my hols. Got back to UK, made complaint as per procedure, what a farce! Was only claiming back my £20 phone calls, but then spent another day or three chasing them. Finally got a very sensible lady from somewhere in Scotland, who sorted it all out there and then. Result £80 paid straight into my bank, letter of apology from Bank confirming credit and a lovely huge bunch of flowers (alone worth about £50). Since then I have been abroad, have told the bank I am abroad and where, and have had no issues since.

In todays world, I can only say tell your bank you are off on holiday abroad to save the stops being placed on your card. Guess if it hadnt been 3am when Abbey tried to call me, I could have avoided the stop but I was half asleep and probably being overcautious but eventually it was sorted within 48hrs.

My advice is keep pestering them, they have 8 wks to respond to complaints, which they cannot meet, so phone them like I did, I got a nice result although my problem wasnt as bad I guess, but perserverance appears to be the key

Didnt think too much about it at that time, thought it was my error, so left it. At 3am in the morning (remember the time zone) I was awoken by my mobile phone ringing - answered it (half asleep) was told it was Abbey Bank on the phone and could I confirm my post code. Well my response was WHAT THE HELL and half asleep I just replied I DONT THINK SO and hung up.

At least you got a phonecall from them...

I had to do ALL the chasing when my card was stopped.

To all the Abbey customers in here who have had problems with them- The solution is simple:

Move to another bank which is gobally recognised- HSBC/Barclays/NatWest.

Sadly not true. I have had the same problems with Natwest, with Barclaycard and Barclays!

Not being funny, but the whole cloning/ID theft is such a smokescreen! If my card gets cloned (as it did once), the thief is much more likely to use it for purchases in the UK where it will not be spotted so easily!

My bank knows I'm French. If they look at previous transactions, they'll see a purchase for a plane ticket or a ferry ticket to France. I have had to phone them on previous occasions to tell them I was in France and to reinstate my card asap. HOW MANY MORE CLUES DO THEY NEED? :-? :-x

Hi,

I work for a BBC1 consumer affairs programme called "Don't Get Done, Get Dom", in which presenter Dominic Littlewood attempts to resolve issues which have arisen between consumers and companies.

We are currently looking for contributors for our 3rd series and would be extremely keen to hear from anyone who is currently experiencing consumer difficulties.

If you would like to talk to us, please get in touch at:

[email protected]

Thanks very much,

Simon