Charged for NOT renewing Insurance policy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5968 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all, first post on this site:D

Just thought I'd warn others and maybe get some advice while I'm at it.

My home insurance policy with the Coventry BS expires on 28th Jan, received the renewal letter, shopped around and found cheaper elsewhere.

Phoned the Coventry today to say I wouldn't be renewing and was told that there would be a £25 'cancellation' charge:-o . I argued that I wasn't cancelling, merely not renewing at the end of the yearly period but they insisted that the charge still stands:evil: .

I looked at the policy booklet and couldn't find anything about the charge so phoned back and spoke to another person who confirmed that I would be charged. I asked her to point out where in the booklet this charge was mentioned and she couldn't, but said the marketing dept would look into and get back to me next week.:-| She did say that it may have been a case of policy change in which case a letter would have been sent out to me, if so I didn't receive one, I'd have changed policies straight away on principle alone.

Whether it's in the T&C's or not, how can they charge you for not renewing their non-competitive product? This is completely underhand and a disgraceful way to do business, is it legal?

Thanks

Put it in writing to them.

That you are not cancelling the policy, merely letting it run to the end of the contract and are giving them notice that you will not be renewing it, and that if as they have informed you, they still insist on a cancellation charge for a contract that no longer exists, you will issue a claim in the Small Claims Court to recover it.

I do have a mortgage with the Coventry but at no point during two conversations was I told that this was why I was being charged the fee. The only reason given was that the insurance automatically renews itself unless cancelled, hence the fee, so I assume that this applies to everyone whether they have a mortgage with the Coventry or not (actually, she said this was standard policy, and that MOST co's do the same:-? )

First time I've ever come across it.

The new Insurance co won't pay the fee as they don't have this 'cancellation' policy.

Having spoken to the new Insurance co, it seems that it's nothing to do with the fact that they're a Bank/BS. They said a small number if insurance companies have these charges (I hadn't mentioned that I was formerly with the Coventry) and I should check through the policy.

Definately something to be aware of in future though.

Having spoken to the new Insurance co, it seems that it's nothing to do with the fact that they're a Bank/BS. They said a small number if insurance companies have these charges (I hadn't mentioned that I was formerly with the Coventry) and I should check through the policy.

Definately something to be aware of in future though.

I think these fees are immoral, and I work in insurance myself! I wasn't aware that this could happen, unless the insurance contract was attached to a mortgage contract.

I really don't understand how this can be legal, seeing that once the 12 month insurance period is up, the contract is finished.

It's not doing the industry any good at all; all it does is alienate customers and annoy people. After all who would ever want to go back to a company who had charged them for no reason?

Bear in mind that the lady I spoke to didn't really seem to know much about it, but as I said, the only reason given was that the insurance automatically renews itself unless cancelled. I've had all sorts of insurance that automatically renews but there's never been a fee for not renewing.

IF this is the only justification then the Coventry are just playing on words to fleece people before they leave. I look forward to hearing from them next week and will keep this thread updated.

Personally, and this is just me, I just wouldn't pay it. I'd let them take me to court over it.

...but then I like an easy fight! ;-)

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Right, finally managed to speak to someone who knows their job :p

The woman I spoke to yesterday said the charge was because the insurance automatically renews itself, therefore you need to cancel it, hence the charge :angry

Today I find out that it's because I have a mortgage with them also, they have an interest in the property and so charge the £25 as an admin fee to cover the cost of checking the new insurance (yeah, like it costs them £25).

So why call it a cancellation charge??? :evil: It's an admin fee.

• 2 weeks later...