• Tweets

• Your point 4 deals with that and puts them to strict proof .....but realistically they are not in a position to state that within their particulars they were not the creditor at the time of default but naturally assume the OC would have...so always worth challenging and if you get a DJ who knows his onions on the day may ask for further evidence from the OC internal accounts system. 
    • I see, shame, I think if a claim is 'someone was served' then proof of that should be mandatory. Appreciate your input into the WS whenever you get chance, thanks in advance
    • Paper trail off the original creditor often confirms the default and issue of a notice...not having or being able to disclose the actual copy or being able to produce a copy less so. Creditors are not compelled to keep copies of the actual default notice so you will in most cases get a reconstituted version but must contain accurate figures/dates/format.     .    
    • Including Default Notice Andy? Ok, I think this is the best I can do.. it all makes sense with references to their WS. They have included exhibits that dates don't match the WS about them, small but still.. if you're going to reference letters giving dates, then the exhibits should be correct, no? I know I redacted them too much, but one of the dates differs to the WS by a few months. IN THE ******** County Court Claim No. [***] BETWEEN: LC Asset 2 S.A.R.L CLAIMANT AND [***] DEFENDANT ************ _________________________ ________ WITNESS STATEMENT OF [***] _________________________ ________ I, [***], being the Defendant in this case will state as follows; I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in this claim. 1. I understand that the claimant is an Assignee, a buyer of defunct or bad debts, which are bought on mass portfolios at a much-reduced cost to the amount claimed and which the original creditors have already written off as a capital loss and claimed against taxable income as confirmed in the claimant’s witness statement exhibit by way of the Deed of Assignment. As an assignee or creditor as defined in section 189 of the CCA this applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights. This means that when an assignee purchases debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information). The assignee becomes the creditor under the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party. 2. The Claim relates to an alleged Credit Card agreement between the Defendant and Bank of Scotland plc. Save insofar of any admittance it is accepted that the Defendant has had contractual agreements with Bank of Scotland plc in the past, the Defendant is unaware as to what alleged debt the Claimant refers. 3. The Defendant requested a copy of the CCA on the 24/12/2022 along with the standard fee of £1.00 postal order, to which the defendant received a reply from the Claimant dated 06/02/2023. To this date, the Claimant has failed to disclose a valid agreement and proof as per their claim that this is enforceable, that Default Notice and Notice of Assignment were sent to and received by the Defendant, on which their claim relies. The Claimant is put to strict proof to verify and confirm that the exhibit *** is a true copy of the agreement and are the true Terms and Conditions as issued at the time of inception of the online application and execution of the agreement. 4. Point 3 is noted. The Claimant pleads that a default notice has been served upon the defendant as evidenced by Exhibit [***]. The claimant is put to strict proof to verify the service of the above in accordance with s136 and s196 Law of Property Act 1925. 5. Point 6 is noted and disputed. The Defendant cannot recall ever having received the notice of assignment as evidenced in the exhibit marked ***. The claimant is put to strict proof to verify the service of the above in accordance with s136 and s196 Law of Property Act 1925. 6. Point 11 is noted and disputed. See 3. 7. Point 12 is noted, the Defendant doesn’t recall receiving contact where documentation is provided as per the Claimants obligations under CCA. In addition, the Claimant pleads letters were sent on dates given, yet those are not the letters evidenced in their exhibits *** 8. Point 13 is noted and denied. Claimant is put to strict proof to prove allegations. 9. The Claimant did not provide a true copy of the CCA in response to the Defendants request of 24/12/2022. The Claimant further claims that the documents are sufficient to pursue a Judgement and are therefore copies of original documents in their possession. Conclusion 10. Without the Claimant providing a valid true copy of the executed Credit agreement that complies with the CCA, the Claimant has no grounds on which to enforce this alleged debt. 11. The Defendant was not given ample evidence to prove the debt and therefore was not required to enter settlement negotiations. Should the debt be proved in the future, the Defendant is willing to enter such negotiations with the Claimant. On receipt of this claim I could not recall the precise details of the agreement or any debt and sought clarity from the claimant by way of a Section 78 request. The Claimant failed to comply. I can only assume as this was due to the Claimant not having any enforceable documentation and issuing a claim in hope of an undefended default judgment.   Statement of Truth I, ********, the Defendant, believe the facts stated within this Witness Statement to be true. I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in it’s truth. Signed: _________________________ _______ Dated: _____________________
    • AMEX and TSB the 2 Creditors who you need to worry about the least, ever!  Just stop paying them and forget about it, ignore all their threat o gram letters.  Only if, and with these 2 it's a massive if, you end up with a claim form you need to respond, and there will be plenty of help here.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

bryan carter ccj! help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4778 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

pt25376537 :o:p:p will be along and have a look shortly. But, I don't think that what you signed contained the prescribed terms and is therefore unenforceable.

Reason? The two two halves don't match up in size - they aren't from the same sheet of paper. And they are both headed "Credit agreement regulated by the ...." etc etc. They are from two different sheets. It has been cobbled together. i tend to agree,Edz, it appears that the documents are two seperate parts and not part of the same documet,

obviously i cant read the lettering as its of poor quality, does it say on the part thats signed, "terms" or any other wording "overleaf" there needs to be a link between the front and back page and that would be a reference to the terms and conditions being on the back etc

if there isnt then its really non compliant and you have a good arguement

PT- do you agree?YES

.......:)

I have now reported Carter for cashing my £1 CCA request,not even responding to me either way,and then i got contacted by Capquest for the same debt??

I made Capquest aware of this fact and they backed of straight away.

Sorry for Hijacking,but it just goes to prove how much of a low life he really is.

Hi Gilly, can i ask, Arrow say they sent you notice of assignment, can i ask if you can confirm when the notice was recieved? it is important that any assigned debt is assigned correctly

did you receive notice that the debt had been transfered before they started legal action?

also can i ask, since you have the copies of the documents they sent, are they clearly legible? can you clearly read the terms on there?

if you can give me an answer to these questions that would be great

also if you can answer the points i raised in post 26 that would be great

i cant help you with any defence til i get an answer

regards

paul

HI

Going to try and answer some of your questions,

The letter from MBNA confirming the debt was assigned to Arrow Global has no date on it , just a date of default as the 31/10/06.

The credit agreements are of poor quality and barely legible, the scans I posted is what Arrow Global sent to me when i cca'd Bryan Carter. I have read them and there is no mention of overleaf or another part referred to but it does say on the one that is signed , taht we should refer to the terms and conditions provided??

The one on the back states that these are paragraphs 1, 2 and 3 of terms and conditions which contain the financial and related details. The rest of your terms and condtions can be found in the full copy which is enclosed.

dont know if this is any help to you

i was really hopign bryan carter would have canceled the court action following my request for info, but obvioulsy he playing tough

Thanks

Gilly5001

Hi Gilly,

thanks for that, very helpful

can you tell me the dead line for your defence please, just so i know how much time i have to play with

im not surprised that they didnt stop the legal action, im betting they will be lookin for a judgment by default. unfortunately they aint gonna get it;)

now can i ask if you have recieved a default notice from anyone in relation to this account?

if you have can you post a copy of it? its rather helpful if you can cause we can add that to the defence

also can you post a copy of the assignemtn please, it would be helpful.

obviously remove your personal details first

thanks for your help

I havent received any default notices that I can remember/are aware of.

The copy of the assignment is on its way, will post on a few minutes

Thanks again

Gilly5001

Oh the papers are dated the 17th Jan so a little while to go yet

thanku so much

just want to check somethign though. i sent a letter to bc stating that if he takin me to court want all evidence etc. should i have sent a copy of this to the court or wait and use it as defnce

didnt want to be doing nothign if there is something i could be doing

thanks again

Gilly

Gilly, don't send that to the court, there is little point at this stage

wait and see if they comply,

if they do then let us know immediately,if they dont then around 5 days before your defence is due give us a shout, just to remind us, all u need to do is post on the thread and i will get an email notification

its a waiting game for the next few days

regards

paul

Hi there

have an update

have received an update today from Bryan Carter that reads

We thankyou for your letter dated the 21st January 2008. We do not agree that you are entitled to all of the documentation which you ahve requested or that you need it in order to prepare your defence to this claim.

We have requested a breakdown of the account and copy of the original credit agreement from our client and will forward these to you as soon as they are to hand and, in the meantime, we confirm that you may have a general extension of time for service of your defence.

Hope you can shed some light on this,

as this is happening I am still payin them £10 per week so they said if i did that they wouldnt go ahead with ccj anyway

BC aren't the Court and can't give any general extension of anything.

No defence and they'll apply for a default judgment (very sneaky). I bet you don't have it in writing that the Cout action will be stopped if you pay the £10 a week. "we would never say that M'lud".

You need to write back to them and say that you note;

1) The contents of their letter of xxth February.

2) That they are refusing to comply in full with the request you have made under CPR18.

3) That they are at present unable to substantiate the partculars of claim.

Say that their refusal to supply the information will add costs and delays to the case and will mean that you will only be able to submit a partial defence. As a consequence you will ask the Court to consider making an order for full disclosure and compliance with your CPR 18 request using its case management powers when you return your completed allocation questionaire.

• Haha 1

hi

I sent the letter last week as advised and have heard nothing from bc surprise surprise!

I am posting now as it is approachign the date when need to submit a defence and wondered if someone can help me Please!!!

Thanks

Gilly

HI

Is there anybody who can help me please with my defence. The papers are dated the 17th January so will have been deemed served on the 22nd i think. That gives me until Tuesday I believe to defend or have a ccj registered against me!!

Please please help. I will need to send everything off to the court by tomorrow or monday at the very latest.

I was told to wait and then post back with a few days to go but I havent had any posts

Thanks

Gilly

DEFENCE

PROCEDURAL ISSUES IN RELATION TO CLAIM

1. I object to the claimants’ particulars of claim, in so far the has claimant failed to abide by the pre-action protocols of the civil procedure rules, in so far as they failed to serve on me a properly formatted notice of legal action. The claimant failed to specify adequate details to investigate their claims, or to attach all documents upon which they found their claims.

2. In particular I apologise to the court that this defence is poorly particularised since the claimant has refused or failed to provide crucial evidence in relation to this claim. This evidence includes statement of account, copies of the deed of assignment, copies of any default notice, and / or any proof whatsoever despite a request for this information sent by me on DATE. The claimant refused to provide this information in a letter dated DATE.

3. I further object to the claimants’ particulars of claims, in so far as they disclose no legal cause of action and they are embarrassing to the defendant as the claimant's statement of case is insufficiently particularised and does not comply or even attempt to comply with CPR part 16. In this regard I wish to draw the courts attention to the following matters;

3.1 The Particulars of Claim do not disclose an adequate statement of facts relating to or proceeding the alleged cause of action. No particulars are offered in relation to the nature of the written agreement referred to, the method the claimant calculated any outstanding sums due, or any default notices issued or any other matters necessary to substantiate the claimant’s claim.

3.2 A copy of any evidence of both the scope and nature of any default, and proof of any amount outstanding on the alleged accounts, has not been servedattached to the claim form or prior to the issue of the claim form as required by the Pre-Action Protocols.

3.3. I therefore respectfully request that the court grant me permission to amend this defence when the Claimant provides the information to substantiate its case.

4. Further I put the claimant to strict proof that the amount owing on this account is as alleged

Improperly executed agreement

5. On DATE, I sent by recorded delivery a request under the consumer credit act 1974 for a copy of the credit agreement, which the claimant replied to with a document which the Claimant has stated is the credit agreements in respect of the debt, a claim to which they are bound by virtue of s172 of the consumer credit act 1974.

6 It appears that the alleged agreement provided is an application form, contingent on future acts and not binding on either party until those acts have been completed. As such, it is a pre-contractual document and is an agreement to enter into a prospective agreement. Such agreements are void under s59(1) of the consumer credit act 1974, and may be subject to further negotiation before forming a binding credit agreement.

7. The agreement appears to be a cancellable agreement, and as such required both customer and creditors’ signatures to be dated as follows

The signature of the said document shall be made in the following

manner-

(a) by the debtor or hirer, or by or on behalf of the debtor or hirer in the

case of a partnership or an unincorporated body of persons, in the

space in the document indicated for the purpose, and, subject to sub·

paragraph (e) below, the date of the signature shall be inserted in the

space in the document indicated for the purpose;

(b) by the creditor or owner, or by a person on his behalf, outside any

signature box in which the debtor or hirer may sign and, subject to

sub-paragraph (e) below, the date of the signature shall be inserted

outside any such signature box;

(e) in the case of a regulated agreement which is not a cancellable

agreement, the date on which the unexecuted agreement becomes an

executed agreement may be inserted in the document and in such a

case any other date specified in paragraphs (a) and (b) above need not

be inserted; and

8. It is respectfully submitted that, for the reasons discussed above these agreements are improperly executed, and are also not in the prescribed format set out in under The Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983. Each agreement was made before section 15 of the Consumer Credit Act 2006 came into force. Therefore, by way of schedule 3, s11 of the consumer credit act 2006, those sections otherwise repealed by the Consumer Credit Act 2006 section 15 remain in force.

9 Consequently, the court is precluded from issuing an enforcement order by way of s. 127 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, since the credit agreement does not contain all the prescribed terms defined in the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983, these being defined by Reg 6(1) as being specified in Sch 6 to the Agreements Regulations for the purposes of s61(1)(a) and s127(3). (The omitted terms including Credit Limit, Rate of interest, and Payment terms under the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 schedule 6. )

10. In the event that the court decides that it is entitled to enforce these agreements, despite the improper format, it is noted that no evidence has been submitted that any default notice has been served and that the claimant is entitled to recover any money owing under the account.

Unlawful Charges

11. It is my belief that during the period in which the Account was operated the original creditor debited numerous charges to the Account in respect of purported breaches of contract on the part of the defendant and also charged interest on the charges once applied. The defendant understands that the claimant contends that the charges were debited in accordance with the terms of the contract between itself and the Claimant.

12. The defendant contends that:

12.1 The charges debited to the Account are punitive in nature; are not a genuine pre-estimate of cost incurred by the claimant; exceed any alleged actual loss to the claimant in respect of any breaches of contract on the part of the defendant; and are not intended to represent or related to any alleged actual loss, but instead unduly enrich the Claimant which exercises the contractual term in respect of such charges with a view to profit.

12.2 The contractual provision that permits the Claimant to levy such charges is unenforceable by virtue of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (1999) and the common law.

12.3 Accordingly I put the Claimant to strict proof that every charge and collection charge made to the account was valid and lawful.

13. I put the claimant to strict proof that any default notice sent to me was valid. I note that to be valid, a default notice needs to be accurate in terms of both the scope and nature of breach. If the claimant sent a default notice that includes unlawful penalty charges, or fees unlawfully debited in respect of the account, any default notice is invalid under English law for the reason that it is inaccurate and so the claimant may not seek to enforce this debt according to s89(1) of the consumer credit act 1974.

Failure to serve a default notice

14. I put the claimant to strict proof that a default notice has been served which is accurate, and conforms to law.

15. I will refer in this section to the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 1983 No 1561 as amended (“Default Regulations”)

22. Reg (2) of the Default Regulations states the requirement of a default notice

(2) Any notice to be given by a creditor or owner in relation to a regulated agreement to a debtor or hirer under section

87(1) of the Act (which relates to the necessity to serve a default notice on the debtor or hirer in accordance with section

88 before taking certain action by reason of any breach of the agreement by the debtor or hirer) shall contain--

(a) a statement that the notice is a default notice served under section 87(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974;

(b) the information set out in paragraphs 1 to 3, 6 and 8 of Schedule 2 to these Regulations; and

© statements in the form specified in paragraphs 4, 5, 7 and 9 to 11 of that Schedule.

16. Reg (5) and (6) of the Default Regulations lay out presentation requirements for a default notice.

17. With regard to the default notice, I would quote paragraph 3 of schedule 2:

A specification of:--

(a) the provision of the agreement alleged to have been breached; and

(b) the nature of the alleged breach of the agreement, specifying clearly the matters complained of; and either

© if the breach is capable of remedy, what action is required to remedy it and the date, being a date [not less than

fourteen days] after the date of service of the notice, before which that action is to be taken; or

(d) if the breach is not capable of remedy, the sum (if any) required to be paid as compensation for the breach and

the date, being a date [not less than fourteen days] after the date of service of the notice, before which it is to be paid.

18. In view of the matters pleaded above, I respectfully request that the court gives consideration to whether the claimant’s statement of case should be struck out as disclosing no reasonable grounds for bringing the claim, and/or that it fails to comply with CPR Part 16.

19. Alternatively, I respectfully request a stay in proceedings until such time as the claimant complies with the requests outlined in paragraph's 3.1, 3.2 and 13 above or until the court orders its compliance with the same. I will then be in a position to file a fully particularised defence and counterclaim and will seek the courts permission to amend my statement of case accordingly.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

Tomterm - I'd put this aside till weekend too.

Para 10 - as there IS a notice of assignment would it not be best to remove the first part?

Para 19 refers to paras 4 & 5. Should that not say paras 3.1 and 3.2 and 13.0?

Hi, Edz11, I've made the corrections you've suggested.

You can tell that someone pointed me to the thread at 9pm;) I like to put defences up a few days early so the OP can edited them as appropriate.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

Thankyou all so much, am I correct in thinking I can submit this online to the court?

Thanks again though for all your help

There is no way i could have defended this without everybodies help on here! i just h ope the court listens!

Thanks

Gilly

• 3 years later...

Hi

This ugly business has raised it's head with a letter from another dca stating claim ref etc and demanding payment. What can they do with this claim stayed? Can they pursue? I'm not sure What I should do in return if anything

Thanks