Natwest irresponsible lending!!!! Help please!!

yvonne69
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5933 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

My son who is 19, was working abroad as a holiday rep from the age of 17, on a basic salary of less than £250 a month. Once he turned 18, whilst out there, he applied online for an overdraft facility with Natwest, who he has been banking with since a child.

They gave him a whopping £1000 overdraft limit. Which he obviously ate into as he was living on such a low salary. Once back in the UK, and earning a salary of about £650 a month, he stupidly applied online for a loan of £8000, which they actually gave to him, as well as upping his overdraft limit to £2500. As well as giving him another overdraft on another account.

After realising that he was going to really struggle with his debts, he went into his local branch to discuss this with an "advisor" and came out with a consolidation loan of £15000.

He is not 20 for another 4 months, and yet finds himself in serious debt and not being able to afford the repayments.

Is there anything that can be done to actually challenge Natwest giving him these funds in the first place?

Other than that, i think he is going to have to go down the IVA route, as there is no way he can afford it, and i am not in a position to help him myself.

Responses really appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.

Yvonnne

Hi Yvonne

Welcome to CAG and the NatWest forum.

I don't think there is much you can do. The law says he can get credit when he is 18. Unfortunately, this sort of thing is alltoo common. My own son got into a similar mess, in his case by being allowed store cards and credit cards. NatWest were equally unhelpful.

The only other thing is, that if there are bank charges in the debt, to reclaim them, although that will probably have to wait until after the OFT test case.

It would probably be worth while consulting CAB if you have not done so already on how best to manage the debt.

It may be best to speak to Natwest and ask for the account to be transferred to the Debt Management department. They can basically freeze interest etc and agree an affordable monthly repayment. Its also an internal debt management facility, so will not show on any credit reports etc.

I worked for them whilst completing my first year of my law degree.

I didnt work for the debt managment department myself but referred people to them who needed help, and i always had positive feedback from customers !!

Excellent!!

When he actually went in to sign for his last loan of £15000, he had moved to birmingham so had to go into a different branch, and the advisor he spoke to there, couldn't believe he had been given such a large amount, based on his salary.!!

I'll let you know how he gets on.

Thanks again

Yvonne

yeah i agree. I dont understand how it would have passed the free income criteria.

it doesn't make sense!!

It should have been a straight forward decline from the underwriters!!

let me know if you need any more advice.

Sammy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Yvonne,

The Nasty West is responsible for many of their customers indebtedness.:o Have you sent of a SAR to have a look at what they have been up to with the account. Penalty charges etc.

Did they apply ppi to the loans??????????

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW