• Tweets

• The case against the US-based ride-hailing giant is being brought on behalf of over 10,800 drivers.View the full article
    • I have just read the smaller print on their signs. It says that you can pay at the end of your parking session. given that you have ten minutes grace period the 35 seconds could easily have been taken up with walking back to your car, switching on the engine and then driving out. Even in my younger days when I used to regularly exceed speed limits, I doubt I could have done that in 35 seconds even when I  had a TR5.
    • Makers of insect-based animal feed hope to be able to compete with soybeans on price.View the full article
    • Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Debt Collection - Improving the Industry

mtw1980
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5955 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, but already it seems like a hive of knowledge and support for those in debt and how to deal with it.

First off, I should add that I do work for one of the larger debt collection agencies (in a management level position).... I may have made myself the most hated man on this site by now. However, I, like most people have debts myself (only small ones now which I'm dealing with), but have also experienced what it's like to experience debts into tens of thousands through one of my immediate family members and am aware of the difficulties it can pose: financial, relationship issues, depression etc. etc.

What's prompted me to post on here is that there are a lot of people who have a number of issues with debt collection agencies and the credit industry as a whole. I can understand many peoples frustration.

I think that we're all sensible enough to agree that the existence of debt collection agencies is required in order to recoup unpaid debts. Of course, some may disagree with me here by saying that the companies giving credit are big enough to fund all of this anyway without needing debt recovery tools. Two words 'Northern Rock'. Struggled with liquidity to fund itself and could have caused issues for thousands of customers.

The purpose of this post is that I'd like to know what those in debt think can be done to improve this industry as a whole and how to service those in debt better. There's a lot of experience and ideas on this forum that I'm sure would be useful, so I would like your ideas as to what could be done. Of course, I am talking at a high level here as opposed to peoples individual cases.

Why do I ask this? Well, my motives are simple. I've been in debt and had family in debt and experienced things from that side. I aslo work in the debt collection industry and have a voice where I believe I can make a difference to debt recovery practices. Of course, I still need to ensure that my clients get paid, so I am looking for sensible answers here.

Let me know your thoughts.

I am a voice within the industry, so use me. I'm open to ideas.

only enforce when theyre legally entitled to do so

stop taking the p$$$ by telling lies to obtain a sale

take away the commission structure from DCAs employees

only allow a DCA top claim the price they have paid for a debt from the debtor.

Get retail sales training removed from the manual of DCAs

Only take a court approach when they have the paperwork to win the case, instead of wasting everybodies time.

If you can arrange any of the above, I'll be impressed

1 play by the rules namely OFT DCA guidelines

2. treat people with respect when telephoning them (you might actually get some where)

3. when buying debts make sure you have the legal rights to enforce it.

4. when you receiver letters from debtors ACTUALLY answer them, not just send another template threat letter.

I'm sure there be more additions added to this list.

the reason why so many people refuse to talk on phone is the arrogance and intimidation from the DCA and result is debtors just putting the phone down. others is DCA's PROMISE things like reduced settlement, debtor agrees to this. next thing DCA claims they never made an agreement in the 1st place, so they lie, hence like shown on this site record ALL telephone calls.

i'm sure i'll add further later on.

If my advice has been helpful please feel free to click on my scales :grin:

Creditors and DCAs - Letter Templates & Budget Planner (CCA request letter N)and other templates)

Debt Collection Agencies & Statutory Demands, a few strategies

Abbey charges, Won

B-card non-disclosure of S.A.R, WON £30 costs awarded

B-Card, court for harrasement, failed to defend WON £175 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/125554-28-days-later-no.html#post1422508

B-Card charges, partial refund, still fighting

Vanquis-Cabot, GIVEN UP :lol:

HFC & my mum, no brainer, no CCA http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/133330-hfc-my-mum.html#post1404514

PLEASE donate to CAG however small. They are fighting for YOUR rights as a consumer. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/

Some good thoughts.

I totally agree with the legal issues. In fact, the DCA I work for wouldn't even look at working with a client if a debt couldn't legally be enforced. I personally think that it's a disgrace that companies start the legal process when debts can't be enforced, as this creates added & unfair pressure on those in debt to pay.

DCA's PROMISE things like reduced settlement, debtor agrees to this. next thing DCA claims they never made an agreement in the 1st place, so they lie, hence like shown on this site record ALL telephone calls.

i'm sure i'll add further later on.

Good idea on the call recording. As all reputable DCA's record all calls anyway, I'd like to see some way of providing access of recordings to the customer / debtor. Of course, this would need to be controlled access (DPA and the likes), and need some real thought as to how this should work.

Keep the ideas coming guys!

like i said comuncate by letter only, then there is no arguments or missundertandings from either side

Creditors and DCAs - Letter Templates & Budget Planner (CCA request letter N)and other templates)

Abbey charges, Won

B-Card, court for harrasement, failed to defend WON £175 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/125554-28-days-later-no.html#post1422508

HFC & my mum, no brainer, no CCA http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/133330-hfc-my-mum.html#post1404514

PLEASE donate to CAG however small. They are fighting for YOUR rights as a consumer. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/

only allow a DCA top claim the price they have paid for a debt from the debtor.

If a DCA was only allowed to claim the price they paid for a debt, they'd make a loss every time. We have to consider the man hours, trace costs, systems etc. put into chasing a debt.

If that was the case, then no-one would ever buy a debt.

I'm at a bit of a loss!!

how do you define a "reputable" company?

according to the banks, credit card companies and CRA, all of the debt collectors they use and represent are "reputable" yet the people on here say otherwise, so how would you define a "reputable" company?

Ok, that's difficult to define, but we have significant investement into processes, training, systems and the likes so we can ensure debtors are treated with respect, understanding and fairness.

The fact I'm on this forum trying to get peoples thoughts on how things can be improved from your perspectives should speak for something. I'll happily talk on this subject, but I want to keep this thread focussed on the industry as a whole, rather than digressing.

to be honest what ever said won't change anything, DCA's are starting to get wet feet now and will catch a cold soon as they buy OC debt in the knowledge that majority is dead end

is this where i query your 1st post :

I'd like to know what those in debt think can be done to improve this industry as a whole and how to service those in debt better.

or it could be taken in different context. "help we loosing money now and want debtors advice on how we can get their money off them"

sorry but look on both sides of the fence here. the honest people on this site want to pay off there debts but they just cant afford the silly repayments you lot want so you send threat after threat after threat. on your side you pay 10-15% of total amount, and yet some dca still charge interest and instead of getting whats owed you make them go deeper into debt.

i can go on forever but i wont, i'm sure few other caggers will agree

Abbey charges, Won

Hi MTW :)

Develop your approach to debt collection as a legitimate service to the people whose accounts you take on - they have effectively become your customers. Look to gaining and establishing real, genuine trust between yourselves and customers. Employ people trained in social skills. Stop looking to the short term 'results' - think long term loyalty from your customers instead. Learn about people - not as a trick or tactic, but to develop (and deserve) respect.

Help them, stop destroying them.

We will not be intimidated.

'The pen is mightier than the sword'.

Petition to Outlaw Debt Sale and Purchase

- can't read/post much as eye strain's v.bad.

VIVA CAG!!! :)

How about not attempting to make the person pay more than they can afford to pay

Refer clients to a (free) debt councelling service if they have more than 1 debt

Grumpy

I totally agree with you here. I think the likes of payplan and CCCS have a big role to play in the indsutry. This is something that I think all of us in the industry need to get hotter on - separating the can't pays (financial hardships) from the won't pays.

course it is spamhead buy a 2000 debt for 250, easy money

Abbey charges, Won

MrMarmite, I can understand your scepticsm here - I'd probably think the same as you. Let's think about it though, I didn't have to declare that I worked for a DCA, I just did that to be open and honest.

My thoughts are similar to those of sosumi - if people are treated with respect, as customers, and trust is built up, then everyone will be happy.

Think about it this way. If you could trust DCA's, those in debt would be more willing to speak to them & more people would at least pay what they could afford (without worry). Those that really can't pay would also have the burden lifted from their shoulders.

DCA's wouldn't lose out, and consumers would benefit.... That's my opinion anyway.

Making sure when you purchase debts you have all the required paperwork, and stay within the law, like not trying to force payment or offer reduced settlements when you can't produce CCA's.

The buying of Statute Barred debts. DCA's know the rules. If they are unenforcable don't buy them.

The threatening of baliffs, door knockers and the general harassment, when you haven't completed the court process.

The one is is the worst is the rude calling centre staff you only know the the law of the DCA's not the law of the land. Educate them properly.

My thoughts are similar to those of sosumi - if people are treated with respect, as customers, and trust is built up, then everyone will be happy.

Think about it this way. If you could trust DCA's, those in debt would be more willing to speak to them & more people would at least pay what they could afford (without worry). Those that really can't pay would also have the burden lifted from their shoulders.

100% agreement, lets take 4 DCA's we all know, Cabot, Robbingson way, wescot & moorcroft.

so far my dealings with in order best to worst:

Cabot, they have been plesent, non threatening.

Wescot. bless them but like to threat people.

Robbingson, treat customers like **** and shout down the phone at you.

Moorcoft, laughable on 1st letter "This letter is notice of littigation whether or not it's read by the intended person, never heard so much rubbish in me life,

Abbey charges, Won

ooops soz, forgot capquest in there, odd threat letter, they love to send letters out where they just tick the box to the relevant question

Abbey charges, Won

all that grumping set to one side my question to you is :

What do you think you can do to improve how DCA's work?

Abbey charges, Won

you must know or have ideas that could be worked on so beneficial to both parties

Abbey charges, Won

The problems with some (most in fact) DCA's is that primarily they regard debtors as an asset to be realized, not people with homes, children and other worries.

I understand that it is a business and that they have costs to cover but the way that those who are making efforts to clear themselves are relentlessly pursued to make up for the debts that have been bought but are proving difficult to collect, is not fair and the methods used are unethical.

Companys are only too quick to dump defaulters for the tax breaks even if they have entered into and are maintaining a reduced payment plan. the DCA's then throw all courtesy, sympathy and understanding out of the window and start the mental torture of harrassment by letter and phone together with threats which are in the main, illegal if carried out as stated.

You are only too quick to use the Law in the form of CCJs etc when not needed and now when the consumer bites back and uses the Law against you, you start running scared and presenting a supposed decent face with numerous DCA calls for revisions of the Law.

Wolf in sheeps clothing comes to mind.

Of course I will pay you everything you say I owe with no proof.

Oooh Look....Flying Pigs

The problems with some (most in fact) DCA's is that primarily they regard debtors as an asset to be realized, not people with homes, children and other worries.

I understand that it is a business and that they have costs to cover but the way that those who are making efforts to clear themselves are relentlessly pursued to make up for the debts that have been bought but are proving difficult to collect, is not fair and the methods used are unethical.

Companys are only too quick to dump defaulters for the tax breaks even if they have entered into and are maintaining a reduced payment plan. the DCA's then throw all courtesy, sympathy and understanding out of the window and start the mental torture of harrassment by letter and phone together with threats which are in the main, illegal if carried out as stated.

You are only too quick to use the Law in the form of CCJs etc when not needed and now when the consumer bites back and uses the Law against you, you start running scared and presenting a supposed decent face with numerous DCA calls for revisions of the Law.

Wolf in sheeps clothing comes to mind.

yet again total agreement

Abbey charges, Won