Barclycard/Cabot help please

sleepyethan1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6027 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a barclycard a few years back and went through a difficult patch in my life and was unable to keep up with payments due on the card. Lots of interest was added and the debt was passed onto Cabot financial ltd. I had been paying them through an arrangement with citizens advice but was only paing small amounts. I moved house and lost their details, i finally found them again and wrote to them to tell them my new address.

Two and a half years on they write to me to arrange to pay the debt off and i am currently paying them £25 a month. I noticed that the figure owing is now £1600 more than what i previously owed and they say this is due to charges and interest.

I was reading some threads saying that you could claim charges back from the credit card companies i dont know about the debt collection agency. I was wondering if i could still claim these back from barclcard with my account being passed onto cabot, if i could it would reduce my debt by over £2000 and could probably pay them what i owe straight away.

Any help much appreciated.

First NEVER talk to these "people" on the phone as they will try and get you to agree to anything.

Before you even think about making any sort of acknowledgement or payment to a DCA you MUST ensure that they have the LEGAL right to collect the debt.

This is achieved by requesting a copy of the Signed, Executed Credit Agreement via a Consumer Credit Act (CCA) request.

There is a template letter to be found here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

Letter N.

Is it important to start the letter:

I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOUR COMPANY in Big Bold letters.

It is best to send this request via recorded/special delivery as there are some important deadlines to observe.

After 12 WORKING days the "debt" is in default and stays that way until the request is complied with.

If a FURTHER month passes then the DCA has committed a summary criminal offence and the matter should be referred to Trading Standards for action once the DCA continues to demand payment.

I hope this clarifies some things.

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too