Brighthouse "Optional" service cover

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3789 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well you certainly don'y have to take the optional service cover. I don't think they can legally mke you take the other either but they might refuse to let you make the purchase. Lefty knows more about this.

Are you in a position where you can't get crdit any other way - eg by buying from Argos?

Sorry don't know it.

However, BrightHouse's cheapst double bed is £345.69 at a weekly payment of £3.19 giving total of £497.64. Insurance will be on top of this. I can't remember what the percentage they charge is but it is likely to add another £50-£100 to th etotal price. Also it is their own make. Quality is notoriously bad.

Argos' cheapest double divan is £139.99 (£149.99 for the slightly larger one). They do a beadstead and matress for £95.

i dont have a home insurance thing so does that mean if i wanted a product there i will have to fet the OSC and DLC.sorry for the dumb question i am new with this thanks

Hi

Steven has answered your question correctly. You DO NOT have to take "optional" service cover. However, unless you can supply proof of "suitable" home insurance you WILL have to take damage liabilty cover. The goods must be insured. This is not entirely unreasonable, as the goods continue to belong to Brighthouse whilst in your home, and ownership does not pass to you until you have finished all payments on your agreement(s).

Damage Liability Cover (around £250 on a £800 cash price product) is loaded AUTOMATICALLY and will only be removed if you can supply proof of "suitable" home contents insurance. (Brighthouse reserve the right to determine what is and what is not "suitable". In fact, very few home contents policies will specifically include items subject to a hire purchase agreement.)

You are led to believe this insurance covers the product for damage, theft, fire, flood etc. However, unlike "real" home contents insurance it WILL NOT provide you with a replacement product should it become necessary (not even like-for-like) and will only, at best, release you from your agreement with Brighthouse - who, ultimately, benefit from the policy. You end up with NOTHING!!! Furthermore, in the event of a claim, the store manager will have the final say as to whether the policy should apply. He may, for instance, decide the goods where stolen or damaged because you didn’t secure or look after them adequately.

I live in a high risk insurance area, and I can insure the entire contents of my home (including £5,000 worth of all risk named items) for less than Brighthouse will charge for DLC on a single item!!!!

I notice from your other posts that you have signed up (and presumably made first payments) on some items. You mentioned a bed? A laptop? A TV? (You also said you were a bit "skint" at the moment? :confused: Please don't be offended, but it sounds to me like you've been sucked into the Brighthouse "hard sell", and you may have gone a little over the top? £5 a week here and £10 a week here may sound easy in the sales pitch, but in reality it's a lot harder.

My advice would be if you really need a bed (and, after all, that's a PRETTY essential item, innit?), and you absolutely HAVE TO use Brighthouse, then take a good read of my sticky thread HERE and get completely clued up on what you're letting yourself into and KNOW YOUR RIGHTS!

Get back if you need any further help or advice.

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

• 8 months later...

I am currently fighting to get a refund on OSC and DLC at the moment. My basis is that I was not given the option to take/not take the "optional" service cover (i.e. mis-sold as they told me I had to have it, otherwise I wouldn't get credit....) and that my home insurance was valid and did cover HP items (I had this in writing but BH STILL refused to accept it!) I wrote to Anne Healey 10 days ago and as I have heard nothing, I sent another email yesterday. Anne has replied and said the BH are looking into it and will get back to me soon.... I put in my email that if I have no satisfactory response within 7 days, I will take matter further with TS, OFT etc.,etc.

Will keep you updated.

P.S They have now removed both policies - I proved OSC was worthless when my TV was repaired (I didn't have OSC and the TV is 20 months old - after much letter writing, they gathered I knew what I was talking about and actually followed the law :)) As for DLC I took in yet another letter from my insurance company, with "HP items are covered by this policy as long as you are legally responsible for them" written in bold!

I can't "prove" it for OSC, no. But I can for DLC :)

p.s I can't prove they forced me....but can they prove they didn't? Why would I have OSC on only 2 of my agreements, not all 4?

Edited by clemma

I Tried to claim it back what they will tell you is can you provide proof that you where forced to take it out

Regards DK

PS will post my full battle story up and a copy of the CHQ

Well hurry up with this one - I want to know what happened!! :D

• 2 months later...
I am currently fighting to get a refund on OSC and DLC at the moment. My basis is that I was not given the option to take/not take the "optional" service cover (i.e. mis-sold as they told me I had to have it, otherwise I wouldn't get credit....) and that my home insurance was valid and did cover HP items (I had this in writing but BH STILL refused to accept it!) I wrote to Anne Healey 10 days ago and as I have heard nothing, I sent another email yesterday. Anne has replied and said the BH are looking into it and will get back to me soon.... I put in my email that if I have no satisfactory response within 7 days, I will take matter further with TS, OFT etc.,etc.

Will keep you updated.

P.S They have now removed both policies - I proved OSC was worthless when my TV was repaired (I didn't have OSC and the TV is 20 months old - after much letter writing, they gathered I knew what I was talking about and actually followed the law :)) As for DLC I took in yet another letter from my insurance company, with "HP items are covered by this policy as long as you are legally responsible for them" written in bold!

Which insurance company are you using to get the items covered?

Did BH accept this insurance?

Which insurance company are you using to get the items covered?

Did BH accept this insurance?

I use Halifax and BH had no choice to accept it. I asked Halifax to send me a letter stating HP items are covered, as long as I am legally responsible for them (which I am).

• 11 months later...

hi

i know this thread is about Brighthouse but I'm trying to find out about Homebuy, it's exactly the same idea as Brighthouse.

The other day i stumbled upon my "contract" with Homebuy and noticed that i am paying for an "optional" maintenance cover on top of what I'm paying for the item, so far I've been paying them for 101 weeks and still have 55 weeks to go.

I'm trying to find out if i can stop this and claim it back as i have home contence insurance and always have, and i certainly don't remember being given an option with this optional maintenance cover but i cant find any information on it, also on the small print it states "The terms and conditions for this separate contract are contained on the page headed "optional maintenance cover contract terms and conditions" but there is no page called optional maintenance contract terms and conditions and i know i haven't lost it as i have always kept these sort of documents together.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice?

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Hi There

can anyne give me a template letter for claiming back DLCC ans OSC as i have now got written confirmation from my insurancce ccompany that they cover HP products i now want to get the ball rolling and claim back what i was conned into taking out

Thanks guys

• 1 year later...

i took a letter in the store today and also posted one to head office stating that i no longer wanted there osc. the manager first of all told me that i could not cancel it but when i told him that there osc was just a con and profit making [problem] he changed his tune. the osc is coming off my 4 agreements next week saving me almost 20 per week/

I used Brighthouse just before Christmas last year after I had lost my job, gotten a new one but was just getting back on my feet etc and needing something for the kids for Christmas, I was told I had to take OSC and Damage Liability Insurance or I couldn't purchase any goods. However I went prepared with my home insurance documents which includes accidental damage so managed to waiver the Damage Liability even though they were still trying to talk me in to having it. After reading this thread I have wrote to Brighthouse this morning to cancel my OSC which is the big chunk of my weekly payment...I pay £23 a week and £15 of that is the OSC so this will reduce my weekly payment loads and save me some money..thank you!

I will say though that I have use BAYV in the past and have had none of the hassle I have had with Brighthouse.

hi, i took my letter in store last week. at first the store manager tried to tell me i could not cancel my osc but after telling him that there osc was,nt really legal he said it would be canceled by the end of the 7 days. just be firm with them.

Im really happy that BrightHouse victims are starting to realise their Consumer Rights.

OSC is an absolute rip off and I urge each and every person who is paying this nonsense charge to cancel it.

Tell everyone and anyone you know that has goods from this company to do the same.

Well Done!!

pfuk

ALL COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS MADE ARE BASED ON MY OWN EXPERIENCES AND OPINIONS, IF IN DOUBT SEEK ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED SOLICITOR.

<<<<IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU READ, DON'T FORGET TO HIT THE STAR AND GIVE ME SOME REP.

ANY PRIVATE MESSAGES DEEMED TO BE NON SUBJECT RELATED, DEROGATORY OR INSULTING WILL BE REPORTED.

pinkfloydianuk

:attention:

yip u have to have cover but not optional service cover. you can only opt out of the optional service cover before you sign the contract !! which you probably didnt read or was'nt given the chance to read.

have a read of this.:-x

BrightHouse also appearsomewhat confused over the word “optional”. According to their own terms andconditions, “optional” service cover is an “option” to purchase at the time ofthe initial agreement, and cancellation thereafter will require 7 days notice.However, BrightHouse staff told us that “optional” means the option notto purchase the service cover can only be exercised at the time of the initialagreement and, furthermore, cannot be removed thereafter!

from

1. CAG BRIGHTHOUSEConsumer Fact Sheet 2008

Fifelifes,

You DO NOT have to have ANY cover from BrightHouse.

As long as you have valid Contents Insurance then you dont need DLC.

OSC is nothing more than PPI in disguise or can be described as Warranty.

As you are covered by manufacturers warranty and consumer legislation, OSC is a completely unnecessary charge.

Optional Service Cover CAN be cancelled at ANY point during your Agreements upon giving 7 days notice.

I urge you to check you have your facts correct before posting as giving mis guiding information can lead people to not take action against these companys.

Regards

pfuk

ALL COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS MADE ARE BASED ON MY OWN EXPERIENCES AND OPINIONS, IF IN DOUBT SEEK ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED SOLICITOR.

<<<<IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU READ, DON'T FORGET TO HIT THE STAR AND GIVE ME SOME REP.

ANY PRIVATE MESSAGES DEEMED TO BE NON SUBJECT RELATED, DEROGATORY OR INSULTING WILL BE REPORTED.

pinkfloydianuk

:attention:

• 1 year later...
has anyone had any success in claiming back osc? as I'm in the process of trying to claim my back now.

I see you have a thread running regarding your reclaim here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?412173-Bright-House-Harasment

And yes there are successes....have a read around the BH forum.

As this thread is old it is now closed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3789 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks