Barclaycard- Stay Lifted , but no defence filed - Help Please!

thatfellow
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6033 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I am taking Barclaycard to court for repayment of charges and removal of a default notice from my credit file. My case was stayed after Barclaycard's acknowledgement of service, but before the deadline for them to file their defence (about four days before, to be precise.)

The stay was lifted on 11th October and the case moved to another court for a hearing on the 18th December. I received standard directions from the court (e.g. disclosure 14 days before etc.), but it struck me that I am yet to receive a defence from Barclaycard.

My question, really, is what effect a stay has on the countdown for the defendant to file their defence? Does it simply 'freeze' the countdown, which restarts once the stay is lifted. If so, Barclaycard have gone over the time to file a defence. Even if the 14 day countdown started again, after the stay was lifted, they would still have gone over the time allotted.

What should I do? I am preparing my bundle for trial as usual, but I am tempted to apply for judgment in default on the basis that Barclaycard has not filed a defence. I don't really see how I can be expected to prepare for a trial in which the defence of my opponent is completely unknown to me!

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Michael,

Can you post up details of the last Court Directions.

Have you contacted court to ask if bank has filed Defence.

This is only a small response document. You don't need this or their full defence to prepare your case Evidence for poss trial.

Slick

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Fans of this thread will be interested to learn that, after following slick's advice, it turns out that Woolwich County Court neglected to send me Barclays' defence, which was filed some time in August.

HOWEVER, events move apace and on Saturday, I received a letter of settlement from Barclays. They have agreed to pay my charges, plus interest and court fees in full.

Part of my claim was for removal of a default notice. I had been notified of this default by Mercers, however nothing has shown up on my credit file.

Barclays made no mention of this in their letter of settlement and without receiving their defence it's difficult to know whether they acknowledge the existence of any default notice. However, the fact remains that I received a letter telling me that I had one.

How should I play this? If I accept the offer of settlement, can Barclaycard enter information onto my credit file later? Is there any way of ensuring that they are unable to do so, within the terms of my acceptance?

Finally - and it's not really a deal breaker - Barclaycard have applied charges to my account in the interim period between my claim being issues and this offer of settlement being made. Is it reasonable to demand that they repay these too? It will amount to some £75 out of a claim of £700ish, but it would be a nice icing on the cake.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,

Michael

Hi TF,

Write back to BC and ask that they address the issue of the Default Notice, either by removing it or by written confirmation that no Default Notice has been made on your credit files, by them or their agents.

When that's cleared up, ask them to settle ALL charges to date using latest charges added on to the settlement figures.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)