Nationwide - Can they do this?

Surfer01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5231 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I opened an account with Nationwide in 2000 and about 2 years later added my spouse to the account As a result of the bank charges issue I decided to open a parachute account with A & L in my name only. I arranged to have all my DDs transferred across etc but Nationwide blocked this stating that in order to do this they required consent from both parties. My spouse has never raised a DD as it was my signature only on all the DDS. I can understand it if it was a joint DD but none were in our joint name.

The idea was that all DDs woudl be on the A& L account where my salary would be paid in and Nationwide would have the benefit of my wife's weekly wage while we reduced the overdraft.

As a result I had to close the parachute account and I am still stuck with Nationwide. Can Nationwide legally prevent DDs being transferred across to a new account? I suppose i could have cancelled the DDs with Nationwide and raised new ones on the new accountbut I was concerned something would go astray and we may miss a payment or for whatever reason incur more charges which we have been trying to avoid for sevedral months.

I agree but the new account was in my name only and when I tried to add her on, it was a total nightmare. Looks like I will have to pursue it from a different angle.

Any one agree that it seems like the Nationwide are being abit vondictive because I have raised a claim against them?

Your wife would only be required to sign to transfer the DD's if you were both required to jointly sign everything on the account, I beleive that they are just being difficult, but vindictiveness would be a hard thing to prove

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

• 1 year later...

This morning I went to use the Nationwide Bank local to me for the first time and probably the last time. I needed to draw £950 in cash to pay a contractor for work. I was immeditely informed in a loud voice that the maximum I could draw was £500 and £300 from the ATM outside. Every one in the bank foyer which is nto very large coudl hear that I was drawing a large sum of money. Not good for me if there was a criminal element in the queue as they woudl know who to target for easy pickings. Secondly the cow in a loud voice informs me and the rest of the queue that I will be using my overdraft facility. I promptly told her that there should be some privacy regarding conversations and she just gave me that stupid look.

I am still seething and wondering if by discussing my account in front of strangers whether there was a breach of the Data Protection Act or even my Human Rights due to the embarassment I sufferred.

Should I write it off to experience or shoudl I pursue it further. Incidentally she did a similar thing to the gentleman in front of me who I know for a fact drew £500 from his savings account becasue she told all of us.

You could write to the manager "private and confidential" so that he is the only one that reads your letter with regards to the fact that you felt that the cashier was telling everyone your details and furthermore in a manner which you felt could compromise your personal security.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

• 7 months later...

In May 2007 when we started our claim the charges were in the region of about £1200 excluding interest. We have recently done a review and have found that this has increased to approximately £2000 or £2700 with interest charges added in.

We approached Nationwide in the first instance for the refund and when they rejected it, it was then submitted to the FOS as we were very short of money at that point.

Should we start again from scratch sending Preliminary to Nationwide followed up by LBA and then submit it to the courts or should we send to the FOS the updated spreadsheet.

Alternatively as we have sent Nationwide the prelim and the LBA for the lower amount of £1200, can we now submit it straight to the courts with the new amount as either way Nationwide are not going to play ball at this point?

• 2 weeks later...

At the mo, you are prob best off waiting for todays result as this could mean that people wouldn't have to put a claim in and COULD just be paid back charges owed to them.

However, if it goes the other way, then perhaps you can put a revised claim into the court where your claim has been stayed.

My first claim was paid up beofre the test case, i incurred further charges whilst waiting for that first claim then put a second claim in to the court which then got stayed while the test case went ahead.

Read my thread - if you have time - to see what has happened so far. Warnes vs NW

:| worried and stressed:|

Nationwide! Here i come, could be alot of money they might have to pay me back:eek:

Data request letter sent 04/06/06 via Hull Branch Nationwide.

Hull financial consultant called ME to help 04/06/06

:smile:Refunded £1200, 19/07/06, still going for the rest of it though!

LBA posted 22/09/06 claiming £2720!

D`oh! - put wrong amount in LBA - short by £1000!

Finally got the money to go to court 09/03/07

Acknowledged 13/03/07

No reply, so judgement issued 29 days after acknowledgment 14/04/07

DEFENCE FILED ??!! 09/03/07

FULLY PAID UP 17/04/07

Second Prelim sent 20/04/07

Second LBA sent 01/05/07

MCOL acknowledged

County court letter saying PAID UP 20/06/07 - although this wasnt the claimed amount, so i disputed it.

Still awaiting court date/decision due to OFT case.

• 4 weeks later...

Today received a letter from FOS stating that my case for charges refund from Nationwide is being thrown out.

I had applied through the FOS for refund of charges about 2 months before the OFT took on the case and subsequently lost. At that time it was the penalties thing.

Does this mean I have to start from scratch again with a new preliminary and then the LBA to Nationwide?

Should I wait until the new templates come out before reinstating action or should I start now with the existing preliminary?

Either way, can I go past the 6 year limit based on my original submission to FOS?

Basic charges work out at about £2100+ but with interest works out at £2900+ and I would like it back! ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Yes to everything really. :D

I would wait till the new templates and arguments have been argued through and posted up here.

Yes you can go past 6 years for your claim.

And I don't blame you £2K+ is not to be sniffed at in this day and age bud.

Sit tight for another week or three and things should start moving forward again.

Hope that helps?

srfrench :eek:

Fight incompetance, stupidity, greed and unfairness......There's no excuse and no place for it in society, unless they really are! :wink:

I also got a letter today from Natwest, saying basically the OFT test case found bank charges to be fair (they haven't) , if I'm dissatisfied I can complain to the FOS and if they don't hear from me in 8 weeks they will consider my case closed.

What about sending the letter from Govan Law Centre to stall them? Or is it best to wait until there's some more worked out argument and begin again?

• dx100uk changed the title to nationwide charges reclaiming - Help - What should I do now?
  • dx100uk changed the title to Nationwide - Can they do this?