style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3629 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi there im new to forums so please forgive me in advance lol.

i seen a post on here regarding c/t, which is a problem i have right now. i do not know how to file a new post so think this is attached or a reply lol.

Bailffs turned up on my door and tell me i have 2 liability orders for c/t. i explained i was aware of the smaller one (approx £190) as i was paying £50 a month to council, although i stopped paying in November 2013 due to moving home. i explained i had no knowledge of the other liability order, which they tell me is for approx £1500. they went away giving me 24 hours to contact the council to confirm my debt, telling me they would be back the next afternoon. i rang the council who informed the debts were genuine but that the one was only for approx £700 rather than the £1500 the bailiffs told me.

then i rang bailiffs and offered £30 per month. although i know this is a small amount my circumstances have changed dramatically. i did try pleading with them my sob story but it did not seem to take impact lol. they re telling me they will only accept £50 per month. i have managed to hold them off for 7 days, giving me until 27/5/14, by telling them i was seeking debt advice.

the bailiffs came out to my previous property (this is the property the debts are for) for one c/t debt and a parking ticket (for a vehicle i did not own or hire lol). silly me let them in and i recall signing a form, but i dont actually know what i signed.

i seen a post about sending a letter to bailiffs requesting a breakdown of charges, should i also request what signed forms they have for me. also as this was my old property where do i stand in regards to my new property if they come with intent to remove belongings. i believe they took a list at my previous property of my belongings.

please if any one can help me, i would be so grateful.

thanks catmills91

You don't need to deal with bailiffs. You should never let them into your home, as that will just make your debt situation worse, as the fees they can charge increase. Plus once you let them in, they can come back again. If you let them in at an old address, that will not mean they can come into your new house. Keep doors locked, windows closed, garages/sheds locked and don't have a car you own parked near the house, as they will levy on it.

You need to find out details of the exact liability orders from the council and explain your financial circumstances to them. Advise them that you will not deal with the bailiffs and will make affordable payments direct to the council. The council cannot refuse payment, but they may pass on money to cover fees incurred by the bailffs.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?412530-Council-Tax-arrears...should-you-let-a-bailiff-into-your-home

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

should i still write to the bailiffs asking for a breakdown of their charges. when i attempted to speak with the council before they told me it was now being dealt with by bailiffs and that they would not longer have involvement. they stated everything including payments must go through the bailiffs. is this actually the case or not. i am concerned about the charges added by the bailiffs too, i know u said there charges increase if they have had access into ur home but working figures out roughly their charges must be around £800, does that seem right.

also wat do u mean that they may pass on money to cover fees incurred by bailiff. does that mean the council will sill charge me the £1500 approx and they will us that to pay bailiffs direct.

thank you so much for ur quick reply

You don't have to deal with the bailiffs at all. Councils cannot refuse any payments you make to them. The council are responsible and should not pass the buck. Because some councils receive a profit share from bailiff fees, there is a perverse incentive for them to see tax payers paying more bailiff fees.

Bailiff charges of £800 seem very excessive, so yes you should ask for a breakdown. You should complain to the council about the bailiffs and the excess amounts they are adding to the liability orders. Ask the council to obtain a full breakdown of the work completed by the bailiffs and what fees they are attempting to add.

The council are responsible for the actions of their bailiffs and you should deal with the council in writing, so you have evidence of asking the council for details, making payments etc.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

wow ok thank you very much. this all seems very helpful. i will be sure to follow ur advice and will let u know of how i get on, in case anyone else finds their selves in a similar situation.