BOTH the ESP and ABS lights come on whilst driving.***RESOLVED ***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4349 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Just got this problem on my VW Golf 2.0 GT TDi. The vehicle is only 4.5 years old (first reg 10 Aug 2007) and has done 75K miles. It has full VW service history. Last MOT done at VW dealership.

In my case BOTH the ESP and ABS lights come on whilst driving. I spoke to my local VW dealership - they completely denied this is a common fault and said I require a diagonistic check, which will cost me £90.

I am thinking about ringing the VW UK customer services (based in Sheffield) but reading this thread it looks as though its going to be a waste of time!

Completely gutted that this could end up costing me £1500.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Hello and Welcome,ash2512.

I've started a new thread for you.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

To give more details on this, when I say whilst driving, both lights come on when I reach 50 MPH.

When the car is doing low speed 30-40 MPH the lights are not displayed.

I am just wondering if this could be a sensor problem rather than the ABS pump malfunctioning.

My local VW dealership quoted me £90 (including VAT). I then rang Halifax VW who quoted me £50 for diagnostic.

Booked car in a couple of days ago and got the diagnostic done. The problem seems to be the ABS near side, rear sensor. They aslo said my front right side ABS wiring loom is damaged!

The report also concluded that this was NOT part of the 'goodwill' program that VW offer to customers.

Total bill came to £360.00

I would prefer to get a second opinion and may get a diagnotic done by the AA.

It sounds about right to me. a sensor and a wiring loom rebuild will cost about that much for any car. you will be getting the ESP warning light(electronic stabililty...Traction control of sorts) because of damage to the loom/sensor. the car cant calculate slippage if the sensor is damaged, hence the warning lights saying something is wrong. And sensors and looms, and pretty much everything else, are not covered under warranty at 4.5 years old. 3 years MAX.

This is really bizzare, the lights have stopped comming on, even at 50 MPH+. I have a long drive comming up next week down the M1 so will check the car out then.

I suppose I can purchase the rear sensor and wirring loom from GSF and have them fitted at a 'normal' garage to minimise costs.

• 2 months later...

This issue has now been RESOLVED for me (sorry for late posting).

It turned out that the Rear Passenger Side WHEEL BEARING was at fault - NOT the sensor.

To clarify further, even the wheel bearing was fine, it was just the magnetic strip that coats the inside (and sends the signal to the ABS sensor) became faulty/damaged.

The local garage technition told me immediately even before taking the wheel off. Apparantly this is common on all VW and Audi vehcles.

Total cost £100 - £60 for OEM wheel bearing and £40 labour.

I guess the take home message is BEWARE of main dealers - they are blatant LIARS and will say anything to increase your repair bill. I had the front wirring loom inspected and there was absolutely NOTHING wrong with it at all, as good as new.

I felt I was deliberately told inaccurate information by VW Halifax and am certain that they knew it was the wheel bearing. I am gutted that I had to pay £50 for a 10 second diagnostic check!! The local garage did this free of charge.