• Tweets

• I suggested consideration of bankruptcy some years ago. It was not well received.
    • That is a superb WS. However, I have a few tweaks to suggest. In (2) "indicating" not "indication". I think to be consistent with your numbering, in (6) the Beavis case should be EXHIBIT 2. Do you really need to include over 100 pages of Beavis?  I think that would be likely to annoy the judge.  Just try and find the bit where they decide it was not a penalty due to having an interest in limiting the time that vehicles can stay. I'll have a look myself for this bit later as it's highly likely to be in WSs from PPCs who think that that paragraph means all their charges are valid always on every occasion. After your current (7) add this.  It's always useful to refer to a judgment when making a legal point - 8.  In the case PCM vs Bull, Claim No. B4GF26K6, where the Defendant was issued parking tickets for parking on private roads with signage stating “No parking at any time”, District Judge Glen in his final statement mentioned that: “the notice was prohibitive and didn’t communicate any offer of parking and that landowners may have claim in trespass, but that was not under consideration”.   In (14) if my maths are right the CPR request should be "EXHIBIT 3".  it is missing from your list of exhibits. In (16) the two figures should be £100 and £170.  They are entitled to increase fro,m £60 to £100, they are not entitled to increase to £170.  To make it clear for the judge I would write - 16. The Claimant has artificially inflated their claim for a £100 invoice to £170. This is simply a poor attempt to circumvent the legal costs cap at small claims. 17. The Claimant has also invented a second fictitious charge, for legal representative's costs, when they have no legal representative. You also need ot number your exhibits. The rest is excellent - well done.
    • Did you ever think of walking away? Become bankrupt and in 12 months it'll all be behind you. My feeling is that you may well get nothing from the sale of the property anyway. Going by the date this thread started it looks like eight years of arrears, lender's costs and receiver’s fees on top.
    • Just to clarify - I make use of evening legal clinics. It is not always possible to see a lawyer (they have limited time and days/week).  This means questions one has may never get answered or there's weeks between follow-ups.   To be really clear - I am representing myself; I am playing at being lawyer/ barrister - which means I take help wherever I can get it (and then research it thoroughly). Ae - a judge in a recent hearing pointed out the receiver is not part of my current proceedings - and suggested I have a separate claim v the receiver. Disclosure has presented damning evidence v the receiver  The receiver against whom I have a complaint is not part of the receiver governing body.   The receivership is in 2 names - a joint one.  My complaint is directed at whom I was told is the lead receiver.  The other named receiver IS a member of the governing body.  But he has now left the company.  And the lead receiver has retired - but is still a working consultant on my case.   All the evidence shows it was the 'lead' receiver who was doing all the  work/ the misbehaviour.   But if the appointment was 'joint' would I make a complaint against them both?    I am sure that wouldn't go down well with the other receiver who is at the beginning of his career. The law is very much against borrowers.   But the evidence against this receivership is crystal clear.   I just don't know how and to whom to complain.   The places I've tried so far don't offer much transparency       
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

dave and cath against abbey *13k WON WON WON !!!!*

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5839 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there everyone

We have just started the process of trying to claim back £11,ooo in bank charges plus interest from the Abbey. We have sent the initial letter which they should received tomorrow. We wondered how many other people have had a claim over £5,000 and how they went about claiming it back through the County Court and what were the appropriate fees paid. Has anybody on site had a succes against Abbey yet and if so would love to hear from them. We are also writing letters to Capital One Card and Kensington Mortgage Company.

Look forward to hearing from people.

Catherine

:D :D :DMoney in account £13216.66!!!!

GMAC - stmnts rec'vd letter requesting £1662 refund of chrges MCOL on line being issued for ERC

SPML - issued MCOL on 21.11.06!

Kensington - statements received letter requesting £2455.55 refund of charges issuing MCOL for ERC

MBNA - refund £341 offered-sent letter requesting refund of £3846.59 charges!!!!!!

Capital One-going to issue MCOL for £1243!

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We wondered how many other people have had a claim over £5,000 and how they went about claiming it back through the County Court and what were the appropriate fees paid. Has anybody on site had a succes against Abbey yet

The simple way to keep a claim in the small claims track would be to split a large claim. Start from 6 years ago and add charges until they reach £5000ish and claim for that. When that cklaim is settled start the 2nd. Fees are £120 when you file + £100 at allocation both reclaimable. Look in the survey results for successes aginst Abbey

Good luck (not that any of us need it!!) I will subscribe to this thread as I want to see when you get your payout :)

REFUNDED

Hubbys - HSBC £4,165 paid 18/8 after MCOL issued :)

HSBC - £651 paid 18/8 after MCOL issued :)

HSBC - £147 Prel 7/8, LBA 21/8, MCOL 6/9 £241

Hubby Halifax - Prel 29/7 £215, LBA 21/8, Offer rec. £110 22/8, MCOL 6/9 £298

Abbey - £2758 - Prel 26/6, LBA 10/7 - MCOL 26/7 £3,391, offer 25/8 £1,755.94, paid £3567.32 after Case manag hearing

Barclays - £675 Prel7/8, LBA 21/8, offer received £300 MCOL 6/9 £998 - Paid £1,012 before going to Court

Hello there

pleased to receive your message and will keep in touch with you as matters progress, hopefully! Let us know how your case is going as well.

Catherinebear

GMAC - stmnts rec'vd letter requesting £1662 refund of chrges MCOL on line being issued for ERC

Kensington - statements received letter requesting £2455.55 refund of charges issuing MCOL for ERC

MBNA - refund £341 offered-sent letter requesting refund of £3846.59 charges!!!!!!

Have just read thread about Abbey we are just in the process of taking action against Abbey. They should have received our letter today! we are lucky we have all the statements for the last 6 years and they amount to £11000 plus interest. This is due to my husband being made redundant for a year, my ill health (I had to have major surgery on my spine and I am now registered disabled) and bad management as the more charges they put on the less there was left to live on and it was a roundabout that we just did not get off! We think we are going to choose the fast track way in view of the amount involved. Does anyone know the amount the Court will charge for this? Also do we serve the papers in the Court or on line what has everyone found best. Also we have remortgage our property twice which eventually in view of my illness and other things we lost our home but luckily we have been rehoused by a housing association so we consider ourselves lucky in view of everything. We were wondering if anyone has attempted to pursue mortgage companies as we have been charged £4,000 and £8,000 respectively on mortgages redeemed early!! by these insitutions talking about institutions I think I would be in one now if I did not have good friends and family. Love to hear from others in same position.

Catherinebear

Hi Catherine

The fee for this sum would be £250 (any figure between £5,000 - £15,000) and the likely maximum of costs, should you lose, would be £750.

The good news, of course, is that Standard Disclosure comes into play. Should the bank actually defend then you can ask for evidence of it's charging structure, notes of management meetings where these figures were discussed and also notes relating to their methods for dealing with breaches.

The bank will not want to provide this - so whilst you do open yourself up to the costs issue, they open themselves up to greater risk, in my opinion.

Are you claiming the kind of benefits that could see you gain Legal Aid?

As far as Mortgage Redemptions are concerned, this is certainly a point being raised more often and I think some users are now in the process of trying to reclaim them. Perhaps it might be better to deal with the charges now and those later - the choice is yours but you could find yourself over committed in legal actions if you take that issue on now.

• Confused 1

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Dear Jon

Many thanks for your thread note what you say and think you may be right to deal with one thing at a time. I will look into whether I would be eligable for legal aid or not if so that might help if Abbey get stroppy. How are things going for you do you have any news yet on your case.

Catherine and Dave

Oh no - a dear John letter :-(

No more news on my claim yet.....

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Catherine. How's the claim coming along?

Abbey - 547.00 settled in full.

Second claim: £204 WON.

Barclaycard - 142.88 incl interest due WON BY DEFAULT as they didn't even bother entering a defence. Barclaycard paid up £184.88.

MBNA - Concluded £634.31

Capital One Concluded £148

Kinda disappointed I've no more banks to go after now...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, Well we have now received a letter from Abbey saying that oh no £11,000 bank charges in 6 years is not excessive and threatening to close our account should we go the County Court. We have chosen to go fast track which will cost us £250.00 does anybody know how to fill in the court forms and what we should put if so would welcome your help as we want to make sure we get it right! By the way we have already opened another bank account in readiness so let them close the account it will be no great loss!

Catherine, we had the same letter yesterday, but our claim is only for £3391.97. I think you just fill in the money claim as normal and then instead of the small claims court your claim is automatically fast tracked, but it might be a good idea to search on "fast track" and PM somebody who has actually done this.

REFUNDED

Abbey - £2758 - Prel 26/6, LBA 10/7 - MCOL 26/7 £3,391, offer 25/8 £1,755.94, paid £3567.32 after Case manag hearing

Barclays - £675 Prel7/8, LBA 21/8, offer received £300 MCOL 6/9 £998 - Paid £1,012 before going to Court

• 3 weeks later...

:mad: Hi everyone

Yesterday we received a letter from the Abbey's solicitors saying that they had a good defence and would be filing one to the Court! bring it on we say! However, if we do not hear anything by tomorrow (17th Aug) we can apply to win under deafult so I am hoping that they forget!!! We are claiming back in exces of £13,000! and think the Scabby Abbey should pay back all of us that have suffered at their hands.

Catherine

Good luck Catherine! I'd love to see what their 'good defence' is!

Barclaycard - 142.88 incl interest due WON BY DEFAULT as they didn't even bother entering a defence. Barclaycard paid up £184.88.

MBNA - Concluded £634.31

Hello Catherine

Cheeky Bleeders!!!! What defence can they put up at all, they have been told their charges are disproportionate in the OFT report into excessive charges(max. £12 that said!).

I can't believe the cheek, I also have a claim in for about the same amount, so I am watching with great interest. I'm waiting for a reply to my Prelim letter, they have another week left, then the LBA will be fired off to them as well. The other difference is that half of my claim is estimated as well.

Keep fighting Catherine, and don't let the b******* grind you down!!!!

Phil:)

This is only my personal, honest opinion!

be careful... The OFT have not RECOMMENDED a fee of £12.. They have only said that is the amount at which they will become involved.

MBNA - Concluded £634.31

Catherine, keep strong, I have had a letter from Abbey's solicitors saying they are going to put in a defence.....yeah right...yawn!!!! lol they also asked for a breakdown of our charges. So I emailed them and also popped a copy in the post. Very interesting though their letter was dated 28th July but I only received it on the 15th August!!!

REFUNDED

be careful... The OFT have not RECOMMENDED a fee of £12.. They have only said that is the amount at which they will become involved.

Why are the banks paying out at the last minute to everyone at present, its because their charges are excessive and disproportionate.

The only reason they are paying out is so that they don't have to disclose how much it really does cost them!!! They have been getting away with it for too long now, and its up to the honest, hard working people of this country to stand up and be counted and make them change this unfair system of unlawfully penalising, rather than just taking it on the chin.

Phil

This is only my personal, honest opinion!

Absolutely true.

MBNA - Concluded £634.31

Well done Catherine, im not quite as far advanced as you, still awaiting 6 years statements. My estimated amount is circa 12k without interest so will be watching closely. I really hope it goes well for you, I know what a burden these charges are, can destroy lives!

Hi everyone,

Well telephoned the Court on Friday morniing and Abbey have not filed a defence yet (should have been Thursday) but the Court did say that they were approx 5 days behind! cannot see the Scabby letting this go in view of the amount (£13,200) Still will keep you all informed of any progress as soon as we hear. Many thanks for all the messages and good luck to everyone out there fighting the good fight!

Catherine and Dave

Wow looking at your list of claims you are set for a tidy sum :) It is so good when you get the first one repaid back to you and then they all start paying out :)

REFUNDED

Guest lobster

hi there catherine bear,,, im at the court stage with abbey for £9,000....they say have good defence yeah rite...bring it on!!!! they said two years ago they were closing our acccount still getting statements with balance 0.0000 so account is still open...cant work that one out myself but there we go!!!!!!

had letter from dla saying they need my charges and should have done this when i filed my claim really what on MCOL...talking through their a...e!!!!! lol lobster:D

Just read your thread and am so sorry you lost your home, we still have ours but only just, trying to sell at the moment and 90% due to the charges. £7000 over last six years, most of that in last three years due to my wifes stoping work due to illness. We are a week away from starting court action and are opting for fast track, so keen to see how you get on and wishing you the best in your claim. Sure you are aware to request full disclosure.

Regards bish.

Abbey : £8070.41*PAID IN FULL*14/02/07:D

Capital one : LBA sent 17/09/06 £1,087.22

Marbles : LBA sent 17/09/06 £720.00 ; £720 offer accepted:D

:mad: Hello everyone,

Telephoned the Court today and was told Abbey have acknowleged service and have been given 14 days more until 31.8.06 to file defence!!! So bring it on cannot wait to see what their defence is! Thanks to everyone for their help and messages of support heres hoping we all have a better Christmas and New Year this year with no bank charges!!

Regards

Catherine and Dave

D:mad: Hi there everyone out there.

Thought as I had time I would just like to bring you all up to date on matters. I dont know if there are many of you out there like us but I hope my story helps you. Dave and I have had £13,000+ in bank charges Dave was made redundant and was out of work for a year and we had no help from anyone (I was a legal secretary for over 20 years but suffered an accident which injured my spine and has led to me having 6 major operations the last one in November last year!). We were struggling with our mortgage with yes those lovely people Kensington!!!!!!! and were in the situation where we were getting so much bank charges every month we could not recover! I'm sure many of you out there have been in the same position! Eventually, in October we were forced to sell our house where we had lived for over 25 years we had made loads of improvements and it was adapted for me with my disability. However, we were left with nothing but we were blessed when we were rehoused by a Housing Association in Norfolk to be near our relatives and we now have a lovely 2 bedroomed bungalow in a lovely village! So we feel Abbey have a lot to answer for we wrote to them prior to joining the site regarding charges we were being charged £30.00 a time sometimes for nothing more than a £5.00 payment! We have now received notification from the Court that Abbey have until 31.8.06 to file their defence which they intend to do. So we say bring it on we have had such a lot of help and advice from people on this site. So lets all go for it and get those B.........s once and for all!

Catherine and Dave