• Tweets

• Post #415 you said you were unable to sell it yourself. Earlier I believe you said there had been expressions of interest, but only if the buyer could acquire the freehold title. I wonder if the situation with the existing freeholders is such that the property is really unattractive, in ways possibly not obvious to someone who also has an interest in and acts for the freeholders.
    • i dont think the reason why the defendant lost the case means anything at all in that case. it was a classic judge lottery example.
    • Hello, I will try to outline everything clearly. I am a British citizen and I live in Luxembourg (I think this may be relevant for potential claims). I hired a car from Heathrow in March for a 3-day visit to family in the UK. I was "upgraded" to an EV (Polestar 2). I had a 250-mile journey to my family's address. Upon attempting to charge the vehicle, there was a red error message on the dashboard, saying "Charging error". I attempted to charge at roughly 10 different locations and got the same error message. Sometimes there was also an error message on the charging station screen. The Hertz 0800 assistance/breakdown number provided on the set of keys did not work with non-UK mobiles. I googled and found a bunch of other numbers, none of which were normal geographical ones, and none of which worked from my Luxembourg mobile. It was getting late and I was very short on charge. Also, there was no USB socket in the car, so my phone ran out of battery, so I was unable to look for further help online. It became clear that I would not reach my destination (rural Devon), so I had no choice but to find a roadside hotel in Exeter and then go to the nearest Hertz branch the following day on my remaining 10 miles of charge. Of course, as soon as the Hertz employee in Exeter plugged it into their own charger, the charging worked immediately. I have driven EVs before, I know how to charge them, and it definitely did not work at about 10 different chargers between London and Exeter. I took photos on each occasion. Luckily they had another vehicle available and transferred me onto it. It was an identical Polestar 2 to the original car. 2 minutes down the road, to test it, I went to a charger and it worked immediately. I also charged with zero issues at 2 other chargers before returning the vehicle. I think this shows that it was a charging fault with the first car and not my inability to do it properly. I wrote to Hertz, sending the hotel, dinner, breakfast and hotel parking receipt and asking for a refund of these expenses caused by the charging failure in the original car. They replied saying they "could not issue a refund" and they issued me with a voucher for 50 US dollars to use within the next year. Obviously I have no real proof that the charging didn't work. My guess is they will say that the photos don't prove that I was charging correctly, just that it shows an error message and a picture of a charger plugged into a car, without being able to see the detail. Could you advise whether I have a case to go further? I am not after a refund or compensation, I just want my £200 back that I had to spend on expenses. I think I have two possibilities (or maybe one - see below). It looks like the UK is still part of the European Consumer Centre scheme:  File a complaint with ECC Luxembourg | ECC-Net digital forms ECCWEBFORMS.EU   Would this be a good point to start from? Alternatively, the gov.uk money claims service. But the big caveat is you need a "postal address in the UK". In practice, do I have to have my primary residence in the UK, or can I use e.g. a family member's address, presumably just as an address for service, where they can forward me any relevant mail? Do they check that the claimant genuinely lives in the UK? "Postal address" is not the same as "Residence" - anyone can get a postal address in the UK without living there. But I don't want to cheat the system or have a claim denied because of it. TIA for any help!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Legal Indemnity Clauses

zootscoot
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6065 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

GMAC RFC Mortgage taken out 1998

The Company's costs and expenses are recoverable from the borrower on demand. The borrower must pay the company's costs and expenses in full unless the borrower shows that the costs and expenses were unreasonable in amount

We are fighting the costs on the unreasonable aspect got a blo//////y good case

Bona

Commercial First Mortgages Ltd taken out in 2003. Charged over £17k redemption.

Indemnities.

The borrower shall on demand indemnify the lender, without prejudice to any of its available rights,against any loss, cost (includung for the avoidance of doubt, but without limitation,any internal administration costs and expenses ),expense or liability

( including loss of profit ) which the lender shall certify as sustained or occurred by it as a consequence of the occurrence of an indemnity event. This indemnity shall include, but without limiting it to, any loss, cost, expense

or liability sustained or incurred in maintaining or funding the loan or any part of the loan or cancelling any financing from third parties obtained by the lender to effect or maintain the loan or part of the loan.

Further on:" Indemnity Event "

(a) any failure by the borrower to pay on the due date any sum due to the lender;

(b) any other breach or default under any facility document or obligation of the borrower to the lender;

© any redemption or prepayment, in whole or part, other than on a due date; and

(d) the loan, or any part of the loan, not being advanced for any reason (other than default by the lender ) after the borrower has accepted this facility;

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mortgage-companies/57563-commercial-first-big-erc.html

A person is only as big as the dream they dare to live.

Good things come to he who waits

Its your money taken unlawfully from your account and you have a legal right to claim it back.

The clause Platform relied on is as follows:

"17.1 You agree as a separate and independent agreement on demand to reimburse us [on a full, complete and unqualified basis] against all reasonable costs, claims, proceedings and liabilities which:

(a) we may reasonably incur, or which may be made against us, whether before or after our power to sell the Property has become exercisable in connection with the Mortgage;

(b) arise as a consequence of anything done or purported to be done under these Conditions;

© result from you failing to do anything under these Conditions ;

(d) result from any payment or discharge in respect of the Secured Amounts [whether made by you or a third person] being challenged or declared void for any reason whatsoever.

17.2 The amounts payable under Condition 17.1 shall carry interest at the Interest Rate from the respective dates on which they were paid or incurred by us until payment in full by you."

The mortgage was taken out on 28/5/04.

Hi Charbydis,

Thanks for replying.

That is certainly a particularly onerous term. I'm putting together something for the FSA on these clauses. But I think it may well be appropriate for you to make a complaint in your own right regarding this one to both the FSA and the FOS. There may well be something they can do in this instance. I'm not entirely sure of the implications that it has been upheld by a court and whether that prevents the FSA and FOS stepping in but its worth a shot.

If you need any assistance with this give me a shout.

Also if you feel ready to discuss the hearing please feel free to pm me

Best wishes

Zoot

Zootscot

I have sent you a couple of posts regarding this very matter. I am in court on thursday against GMAC for about 200 in d/d failed payment charges. Their lawyers have sent me letter saying i am responsible for all thier costs and advising me to drop the action. Are the charges unfair under the contract laws and consumer laws?

• 2 months later...

Zoot, I have made a complaint to the FSA who asked for a copy of the contract which I sent with reasons why I thought the clause unfair. They have replied saying they have assigned it to a case officer.

• 1 month later...

The legal charge is between the parties set out above and shall take effect upon date as the consumer credit agreement pursuant to which this legal charge is made is executed and dated on behalf of the lender theirin and the mortgagee herein.

In this legal charge where the context so requires or admits the masculine shall include the feminine and where there are two or more persons included in the expression "the mortgagor" the singular shall include the plural and any covent declaration or certificate expressed to be made or given by the mortgagor is and shall be deemed to be made or given by two or more persons jointly and severally.

In this legal charge where the context so admits the expressions "the mortgagor" and "the mortgagee" shall include the persons deriving title under the mortgagor and the mortgagee respectively.

• 1 month later...

Zoot

At our costs hearing yesterday the Master started of buy explaining the rules under which a mortgage company can claim all their costs the otherside had produce caselaw hesaid that the costs had to be reasonable and be reasonable incurred I said our mortgage agreement states that and not the words actual costs he said actual costs still have to be reasonable I said but if there is an idemnity clause he said the costs still have to be reasonable and even in an indemnity costs if they can be proved not to be reasonable or not reasonably incurred they dont have to be paid

Surley this means that if a company counter claims againt a claiment under an indemnity clause this can bechallenged as to the reasonablness of both their actions and the amount of money they are requesting for costs.

I had the same comments made to me by the judge. The idemnity clause means just that, I indemnify them for their costs. The judge decided on an indemnity basis a barrister was justified but knocked off a massive £10 off the amount for letters.

This means basically that challenging costs incurred under one of these clauses is a waste of time.

Depends on the argument we had 25% of the Barristers costs reduced as much as 50% but we went prepared if the costs are reasonable no chance but in our case we are proving that they are not but we have had to do our homework and everyones case is different

• 1 month later...
Zoot, I have made a complaint to the FSA who asked for a copy of the contract which I sent with reasons why I thought the clause unfair. They have replied saying they have assigned it to a case officer.

Hi Chrbydis, is there an update on this??

Any reply from the FSA on the indemnity clause from platform??

The reason i ask , is that I just received platforms defence bundle for our claim for returned d/d charges etc. Again.. they have failed to disclose cost's pursuant to the judge's order and rely on a weak defence of ' you signed the t&c's...blah blah blah.

our claim is for £500, their counter claim is estimated @ £3000 :shock:

I haven't heard anything back yet but am planning on chasing them up soon. As its bank charges you are chasing you should be alright but I would be very careful although if they've failed to respond to a judges order you should be ok but I would hope someone with more experience could confirm this.

I haven't heard anything back yet but am planning on chasing them up soon. As its bank charges you are chasing you should be alright but I would be very careful although if they've failed to respond to a judges order you should be ok but I would hope someone with more experience could confirm this.

thank you, thats what I thought but you never can tell.

I'll stick to my post now, http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mortgage-companies/61934-mm-platform.html

I'm seem to be hijacking this thread a bit. :roll::roll::roll:

thank youoooooo