Attachment of Earnings for 2016/2017 Council Tax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2838 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,I am looking for some advice please and I am about to raise a complaint with South Gloucestershire Council.

I had an AOE for outstanding CT on my salary which has recently been paid off. I had been paying them religiously weekly £20 only to find that I was paying for 2015/2016 tax year and there was a further year 2014/2015 outstanding which I was not aware of.

They started to chase 2016/2017 payments and I stated that whilst you were taking a percentage of my salary each month there was no way in this world that I could then afford another £100 a month and that I would start making payments once the AOE had been cleared and I had received a full salary with no AOE attached.

I had been making payment via their online system and have found out today that they are going to apply for another AOE for the 2016/2017 year for the full amount.Can they do this given that this tax year has not even been completed yet and we are only a couple of months into 2016?

Any advice would be greatly appreciate because they are about to hit me with £250 reduction for the next 6 months!

Thanks

Edited by Andyorch
Paras

They started to chase 2016/2017 payments and I stated that whilst you were taking a percentage of my salary each month there was no way in this world that I could then afford another £100 a month and that I would start making payments once the AOE had been cleared and I had received a full salary with no AOE attached.

I had been making payment via their online system and have found out today that they are going to apply for another AOE for the 2016/2017 year for the full amount.Can they do this given that this tax year has not even been completed yet and we are only a couple of months into 2016?

Council Tax becomes due at the beginning of April when they issue the bill. If you haven't made any payments towards the 2016/17 bill, then the council is entitled (and obligated) to seek a liability order and/or an attachment of earnings. Your best option would be to discuss the matter with the council and try to come to some agreement that sees the outstanding amounts for all three years to be paid off in a timely manner without causing undue financial hardship.

As you have been missing payments for this year's bill, when it comes to 2017/18, the council could refuse to spread payments of the course of a year and demand settlement in full come April.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

As you have been missing payments for this year's bill, when it comes to 2017/18, the council could refuse to spread payments of the course of a year and demand settlement in full come April.

They can't - they have to offer at least the minimum statutory instalments on the initial demand notice.

Craig

Hi,I am looking for some advice please and I am about to raise a complaint with South Gloucestershire Council.

I had an AOE for outstanding CT on my salary which has recently been paid off. I had been paying them religiously weekly £20 only to find that I was paying for 2015/2016 tax year and there was a further year 2014/2015 outstanding which I was not aware of.

Any advice would be greatly appreciate because they are about to hit me with £250 reduction for the next 6 months!

Thanks

From what you've posted it would appear they've done nothing outside of the legislation.

Craig

Hi

Sorry to confuse people, it is JUST 2016/17 outstanding not three years - apologies. A recent AOE had been cleared for 2015/2016 but because I had this taken out of my salary I couldn't afford to start paying 2016/2017 until the AOE had been settled.

So regardless of how much money they are taking out of my account they can still apply another AOE even ifyou state hardship whilst this is being paid off? So essentially they could enforce you to pay an AOE and the current tax year at the same time?

I am assuming I do not have a leg to stand on with this and they will enforce the AOE regardless?

Hi

Sorry to confuse people, it is JUST 2016/17 outstanding not three years - apologies. A recent AOE had been cleared for 2015/2016 but because I had this taken out of my salary I couldn't afford to start paying 2016/2017 until the AOE had been settled.

So regardless of how much money they are taking out of my account they can still apply another AOE even ifyou state hardship whilst this is being paid off? So essentially they could enforce you to pay an AOE and the current tax year at the same time?

I am assuming I do not have a leg to stand on with this and they will enforce the AOE regardless?

Yes - providing they issue no more than 2 at a time then they can do so - it's at their discretion.

I've seen a similar case with a client recently where it had gone wrong - over the years I've seen a lot of AOE's and they can be a pain if you're on the receiving end.

Craig