• Tweets

• Good Law Project are trying to force HMG to release details of how Sunak's hedge fund made large profits from Moderna. Government ordered to disclose Sunak’s hedge fund emails - Good Law Project GOODLAWPROJECT.ORG Good Law Project has won a battle with the Treasury after it tried to suppress emails between Rishi Sunak and the hedge fund he founded.  
    • Nick Wallis has written up the first day of Angela van den Bogerd's evidence to the inquiry. I thought she was awful. She's decided to go with being not bright enough to spot what was happening over Fujitsu altering entries on the Horizon system, rather than covering up important facts. She's there today as well. The First Lady of Flat Earth – Post Office Scandal WWW.POSTOFFICESCANDAL.UK Angela van den Bogerd, on oath once more It is possible that Angela van den Bogerd and her senior colleagues (Rodric Williams, Mark Davies, Susan...  
    • Thank-you dx, What you have written is certainly helpful to my understanding. The only thing I would say, what I found to be most worrying and led me to start this discussion is, I believe the judge did not merely admonish the defendant in the case in question, but used that point to dismiss the case in the claimants favour. To me, and I don't have your experience or knowledge, that is somewhat troubling. Again, the caveat being that we don't know exactly what went on but I think we can infer the reason for the judgement. Thank-you for your feedback. EDIT: I guess that the case I refer to is only one case and it may never happen again and the strategy not to appeal is still the best strategy even in this event, but I really did find the outcome of that case, not only extremely annoying but also worrying. Let's hope other judges are not quite so narrow minded and don't get fixated on one particular issue as FTMDave alluded to.
    • Indians, traditionally known as avid savers, are now stashing away less money and borrowing more.View the full article
    • the claimant in their WS can refer to whatever previous CC judgements they like, as we do in our WS's, but CC judgements do not set a legal precedence. however, they do often refer to judgements like Bevis, those cases do created a precedence as they were court of appeal rulings. as for if the defendant, prior to the raising of a claim, dobbed themselves in as the driver in writing during any appeal to the PPC, i don't think we've seen one case whereby the claimant referred to such in their WS.. ?? but they certainly typically include said appeal letters in their exhibits. i certainly dont think it's a good idea to 'remind' them of such at the defence stage, even if the defendant did admit such in a written appeal. i would further go as far to say, that could be even more damaging to the whole case than a judge admonishing a defendant for not appealing to the PPC in the 1st place. it sort of blows the defendant out the water before the judge reads anything else. dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

RSPCA and AXA - Pet-Insurance - wont pay up ***Resolved***

Jules Street
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3436 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I am hoping for some much-needed advice!

Last December our beloved cat suddenly became breathless. The vet diagnosed heart failure which he tried to treat with surgery and medications. Sadly after 2 days we had to have her put to sleep. I have RSPCA Gold Pet-insurance, underwritten at the time by AXA. I contacted them for a claim form which arrived and I completed it. As agreed I paid the Vet directly the £75 policy excess and left them with the claim-form for them to finalise and send to RSPCA Insurance. The total bill came to around £1000 I think.

I heard nothing more until 2 weeks ago when I received a letter from a Debt Collection agency on behalf of the Vet! (Also, the bill now appears to have increased to £1200). I ignored the Debt Collector and contacted RSPCA, who said they had never received the claim-form from the Vet. The Vet said they sent the claim, and maybe it was lost in the post. I requested a new form and filled it all in again and sent it off to the Vet for them to complete again. After a few days I checked the RSPCA had received it, which they had.

Yesterday I came home to a message on my answer-machine from RSPCA saying they had decided not to pay the claim and they would write to me with their "reasons". Back to square one.

It wouldn't be so bad if it were just a claim for a car or something, but it is so upsetting because I still haven't really got over the loss of my cat so I know I am not thinking as clearly. Before I go off like a rocket, can anyone please offer me any advice on the best way to go about sorting this mess out?

Thanks in advance,

Jules

x

:-x

What you must start doing is putting everything in writing by recorded delivery. Don't discuss this in any phone calls with the Insurers or the Vets, as you won't have these to use in any future actions, unless you record the calls.

At the moment, you have a debt with the vets, which you must think of as separate to the Insurance claim, if it is not an insurance policy via the Vets. The Vets have passed the debt to a DCA to chase for payment, as I expect is their normal procedure. You may have to enter into a payment arrangement with the Vets practice and hopefully at some stage you will be able to get the Insurers to reimburse you. You need the Vets practice on your side, in your battle against the Insurance company, so anything you can do to assist with this may be helpful to you. Perhaps you should write to the Vets practice saying that you are currently in dispute with the Insurers about the claim submitted and realise that this has delayed the bill being paid. Offer them what you can afford over a period of time and make a first payment.

RSPCA are just the brand name. The Insurance company AXA will be the ones who left the message on your answerphone. They deal with the claim on behalf of RSPCA and will address all communications as if they are the RSPCA. There are no RSPCA staff involved. I think you know this, but I have clarified anyway.

You need the information from AXA as to why they have refused the claim and then you have to read the terms of the policy, to see how they have come to this conclusion. Without knowing this information, it is difficult to comment. Post back, once you have the information and I may be able to comment further. AXA will have a complaint procedure you need to follow and this will include referral to the FOS if necessary. The FOS could take a very long time to resolve, if you involved them, so you could look to use the courts instead, after getting legal advice.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks so much UncleBulgaria, you are very "calming". I am glad I didn't ring them now. Just to complicate the whole thing, our other cat has had to have an op recently which I am going to have to claim for as well. So it's probably doubly important that I don't go and upset everyone right away!

I will write to the Vets as I could probably manage to pay a tiny bit each month, and also I will find out from AXA what they are disputing.

It would be great if there were a Pets NHS which all pet owners paid into. £1200 is an astronomical sum for me, hence the insurance!

Will post back when I have some developments, and thanks again,

Jules

x

Hi again, just reporting back developments with the above problem!

To clarify there are 2 vets involved:- I will call them Vet A (our usual vet) and Vet B (our usual vet referred us to Vet B when the cat was taken ill. This is the Vet who is now pursuing us for the debt).

I have now received a letter from RSPCA Pet Insurance stating they cannot pay my claim because our cat showed clinical signs of heart disease in Sep09, 6 months before cover commenced. I went off to our usual vet (Vet A) and obtained a copy of the medical records. There is an entry in Sept 09 made during the cat's annual examination which states "possible slight heart murmur RHS". I do remember Vet A mentioning this at the time but he said he wasn't sure if it was a murmur, and anyway it was quite likely just due to the stress of visiting the vet. Every annual exam since then, plus a thorough check prior to a anaesthetic for a tooth extraction in 2012, has stated "no abnormalities detected". Vet A is on holiday 'til Monday and his receptonist has suggested I go back and speak with him as he might be able to do a letter to the insurers for me.

Meanwhile I have offered (by recorded letter to Vet B) to pay £25 per month until I can potentially settle the dispute with the insurers. This is the amount I am saving per month (on insurance and flea/worming etc) since the cat was put to sleep, and is all I can afford. Vet B has left me a voicemail asking me to contact them. Their DCA have also left me a voicemail asking me to contact them "to set up a payment plan".

My question now, before I contact them, is can the vet insist I deal with the DCA? I didn't think they could just pass on my debt/details to a DCA. Would I have signed up for this when I paid the initial £75 to Vet B in December? If I did sign anything I can't remember, but I was very distressed at the time as the cat was seriously ill. Also, the first I heard of the bill not being settled by the insurers was by the DCA letter 3 months later. Vet B did not contact me at any stage to say the bill had not been paid, so can they just pass the problem to a DCA wthout even telling me?

Hope you can help,

Thanks in advance,

Jules

It depends on the terms of the vet you signed up to. If the vet wants a DCA to collect payments, without any agreement terms signed by you that confirmed any collection fees being due to the DCA or vet, then the £25 a month (or whatever amount) would have to go towards the debt.

I would suggest paying the vet directly in the absence of them confirming that any payment made to a DCA, would not incur any additional charges. Some DCA's have been sneekily adding collection fees to debts, when these are not covered by the original agreement signed

As advised before keep everything in writing. Make a payment to the vets the debt is due to, with a letter confirming that you will pay them direct. You could add that if they want a DCA to deal with repayments, they will need to confirm this in writing and also confirm that no additional charges/fees or interest will be due.

Hope you can get the previous vet to confirm in writing the situation with the heart murmur issue and this resolves the problem with the Insurers. It might be a struggle, as Insurers tend to go by what is shown on the medical records. If there is nothing on record to say the cat was checked again before the policy start date and the heart was found to be ok, then Insurers may not be convinced there was a not a pre-existing heart condition.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

Just to keep you all posted and thank you all again:-

DCA continue to ring me twice daily - I do not pick up.

Vet 2 has not replied to my letter asking for confirmation that they will accept my offer of £25 pcm and requesting written evidence that I agreed to deal with any DCA.

Vet 1 has rung RSPCA/AXA for me and also faxed them a letter telling them they are WRONG. As a direct result they have agreed to re-open the claim and look at it again!! This Vet is my HERO, he is the only person (apart from you good-guys at CAG of course) who has not tried to just stonewall me.

I will keep you up to date,

Jules

xxx

Hi Jules

If the DCA calls are getting in the way of your day to day life/communications, it might be worth getting a 'Truecall', you type the DCA number in, it's blocks them, whilst allowing other calls through. There are also templates in the library that you can send regarding phone 'Harassment'.

Keep updating the thread.

Hi again,

Just to keep you all posted and thank you all again:-

DCA continue to ring me twice daily - I do not pick up.

Vet 2 has not replied to my letter asking for confirmation that they will accept my offer of £25 pcm and requesting written evidence that I agreed to deal with any DCA.

Vet 1 has rung RSPCA/AXA for me and also faxed them a letter telling them they are WRONG. As a direct result they have agreed to re-open the claim and look at it again!! This Vet is my HERO, he is the only person (apart from you good-guys at CAG of course) who has not tried to just stonewall me.

I will keep you up to date,

Jules

xxx

Thanks for the update.

Have you put in an "Official Complaint" to your Insurers, if so the DCA should stop contacting you until the complaint is dealt with.

• 7 months later...
Thanks for the update.

Have you put in an "Official Complaint" to your Insurers, if so the DCA should stop contacting you until the complaint is dealt with.

Hi guys, finally last month RSPCA/AXA insurance actually gave in and paid up. Thanks so much for all your advice, it was really helpful and inspired me not to give up. Also prevented me from making mistakes when sending letters, etc. Cheers, I will make a donation x

Hi guys, finally last month RSPCA/AXA insurance actually gave in and paid up. Thanks so much for all your advice, it was really helpful and inspired me not to give up. Also prevented me from making mistakes when sending letters, etc. Cheers, I will make a donation x

Glad you got it resolved. They do try it on, in the hope of saving money.