• Tweets

• As one of you mentioned above I've been in a mess for nearly 20 years now and I'm ready to sort my credit report out now - the main reason I got into second round of debt is my kids being unwell and the state considering them not unwell enough for extra help so despite my son being in hospital for 3 months in one year we got extra zero help and I eventually lost my job and got into debt to just so I can be تا my sons hospital bed at his time of need - my life basically fell apart and all these debts got me again 
    • Gosh mate I've woke up this morning with half the worry I had last night when going to sleep!.  I can't believe how much this forum has helped me over the years and I don't  have the words to explain the gratitude I feel towards you guys -  Now that I've slept on it I feel ready to reject this company and my plan is to make them an offer to accept payments to date as full and final settlement - I will I think write them a letter once my review is completed or maybe just send it now whilst they are reviewing explaining my kids are unwell for which reason I'm struggling to survive and if I can politely request for them to accept payment to date as a full and final - I'll mention I don't have any cash or anyone to borrow from to offer a full or even part amount of the remaining balance of the iva and therfore am unable to make a offer of payment.   If they agree to at least even put my offer to the creditors then I feel it's better I hang in there and that way I won't have to deal with any possibilities of more defaults and ccjs    Right now the only adverse effects on my credit report are the iva that is now 3 years old and 2 Ccj one coming of this July and one thus October.    But I am worried new action will begin and new defaults and Ccj may start to appear because I've paying into an agreement im under the impression the 6 year rules starts again so yes I have lost of mixed feelings about this but I'm not going to lie you guys have put some life back into my breath this week as for the last 3 years I've felt caged like an animal and this morning I feel freer I can't explain how much but certainly my soul feel lighter today thanks to yin because I'm now viewing this review totally different to I do yesterday thanks to you guys 
    • Court name UNKNOWN Case number ********** Amount N/A Confirmed by Insolvency Service Date issued May 2021 Type Voluntary Arrangement Notes If you have questions about voluntary arrangements you should speak to the Insolvency Service.     I started this in 2021. So it's been about 3 years I've been paying. 
    • Thanks @lookinforinfo@Nicky Boyi sent across the agreement earlier in this thread. No mention of financial reward to the MA. But, I wouldn't be surprised if it was done on the sly. As I said earlier, the owner of OPS is a convicted criminal, with a very shady reputation around these parts.
    • The average high street easy-access account pays 1.7% interest - but savers could earn 5% if they moved their money elsewhere. We look at which banks have the top rates.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Serial deposit keeping landlady

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5871 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have been living as a lodger in a house with the landlady and sometimes 1, 2 or no other lodgers. During my stay, 3 other lodgers left, one sneaking out while the landlady was out, one who had his goods deposited at his place of work because he'd had the nerve to pack his bags and not say he intended to leave, and one who gave proper notice after a seven year tenancy. The first 2 lodgers did not get back their deposits.

I moved into the house in March and paid 160 pounds deposit, and 4 weeks rent in advance, followed by 4 or 5 weeks rent each month depending upon how many Sundays there are in the month.

One week ago i.e. Sunday 19th August, my landlady and I had an argument which was quite heated and I offered to leave at the end of the week, she accepted this and was so angry that she left a note on the other lodger's door stating that "xxxx has explained to me how intolerable it is for you both to live here, so I expect you to leave on 25/08/07. "

My rent was paid up to 2nd September, but I decided to move out the next day.

I went back to the house today to return my key and my landlady would not let me through the front door. Nor would she discuss returning my deposit or the rent for next week. She said she was "too busy" and when I tried to arrange a date and time later this week she simply refused to agree to anything, or suggest a convenient option.

How can I get my deposit, and next weeks rent back?

When I moved in I didn't get a rental agreement, inventory, or recipt for the deposit. I have since received a licence agreement that states that I have the right to occupy a room in the house between 18th March and 28th September. My landlady is implying that because I have left before the end of the term then I am not entitled to a return of my deposit.

She has also kept the other lodger's deposit.

nolies,in reply to your post:

Do a Letter Before Action - LBA and if there is no response,sue in The Small Claims Court!

It is as simple as that!

You will find template letters in the library on this site.

I would advise to send your landlady the key by Recorded Dellivery in a jiffy envelope.Otherwise she will turnaround and say that you left the property but did not return the keys to justify charging you the rent - which in my view she may be able to do.However,the fact that she would not let you enter the property sways the matter in your favour.

I hope you find this information useful.

If you have any questions,just ask.

Keep us posted.

All the best!

• 2 months later...

I gave the keys back and asked for my deposit, but was told that I wasn't due any money back and that she beleived that I owed money to her! It is a complete fantasy on her part. She says that I agreeed to pay for broadband access, which is a complete lie, and that we had a fixed term agreement and so I should pay to the end of the term, again a lie. There were also other lies in the letter that my landlady sent to me. I could not believe how twisted the truth could be and still look reasonable.

Anyway, I started a small claim on line. She acknowledged it, but I haven't heard anything else. When I tried to request judgement on the basis of no response, judgement was refused. Does this mean that she has entered a counterclaim?

If we end up in court and she still insists on her lies, how can I counter her as there is no written evidence and it will be her word against mine. I really don't want to go to the expense of a court appearance when she is going to lie through her teeth while I am made to look like a liar because I will have to say that everything she is saying is a lie.

nolies,in reply to your last post:

1.All that your ex-landlady has probably done is is acknowledged the receipt of the summons and this means she would be given additional time to respond - 28 days I think.

2.You should check with the court by giving the staff a ring to make sure what the exact current situation is.

3.Regarding the lies,as long as you are frank and honest you will win by the way if you are not that could potentially lead to you being put in prison!Judges know that a tenant that goes as far as taking an ex-landlady to court is "balance of probabilities" telling the truth.

So,chill out!

I hope this helps.

If you have any more questions,just ask.

Keep us posted.

All the best!

I have just phoned the helpline and been told that my LL has filed a defense and couterclaim! My claim from her was for 240 pounds and now she has counterclaimed 380 pounds.

How do I stop this from escalating, she obviously thinks she is going to win, which she can only do if she lies.

nolies in reply to your last post:

1.You CANNOT stop anything from escalating.This could just be a tactical move on your ex-landlady's part in order to scare you off.

Before I comment/suggest any further,please answer the following question:

What is the 380 pounds counterclaim for?

Please explain in more detail if you know and if not request a copy of the counterclaim from the court - if you have not received it yet.

This further information may hopefully enable me to assist you further.

• 4 months later...

Well, the case went to court. LL claimed that I had agreed to pay extra for broadband and extra nights accommodation. Totally false. Judge believed her. My claim thrown out, I now have to pay her 450 pounds and lose the 240 that she owed me. I didn't get a copy of LL's statement before the hearing, but she had a copy of mine. I couldn't go to the hearing, so I've no idea what happened or why my claim was dismissed. Don't the rules about perjury apply in Small Claims court?

If this is justice I can't see why anyone would bother.

how do you expect to convince a judge if you don't even turn up to the court?

I have to agree, you have commited the cardinal sin of small claims, not turning up. What ever the reasons where that you couldnt make it you should have contacted the court and arranged a different date. What a shame to get so far and fall at the last hurddle. In honesty you are lucky you got off so lightly and she didnt start claiming a day off work and travel costs etc.

What makes you think she didn't claim all those things?

I wrote to the court asking for my case to be heard without me using my written statements. The costs for me to travel to the court would have been more than my claim.

In response to the previous 2 posters - you are saying that anyone who for whatever reason can not attend a hearing might as well not bother making a claim.

So what's the point then?

In no way do any of the articles about small claims court make this assertion. If they did I would never have started my claim as I knew all along that I couldn't possibly attend a hearing whatever date was set.

What makes you think she didn't claim all those things?

I wrote to the court asking for my case to be heard without me using my written statements. The costs for me to travel to the court would have been more than my claim.

I dont know, did she claim those things? its difficult to tell from your postings, if your submitted case was as flakey as your postings on here then in all honesty, what did you expect? It seems that you thought your sense of Righteous indignation would be enough to see a successful claim, that simply isnt the case. You have to work for a victory. I am surprised that you didnt research your position a little more before submitting a claim or ask for more advice on here, by your second post you had submitted a claim? not really thoughtout IMHO.

I find it difficult to believe that it would have cost you more than what you now have to pay £450 + £240 lost?! to travel to the hearing. Why was the case not held in your home town anyway?

Sorry to sound negative but it looks like you have been sloppy and are now unfortunatley paying for it.