can i get my parking fine money back?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6091 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i just read in my local paper that parking fines in aberdeen are invald becuase of a high court ruling in england last year that stated all tickets must display a vehicle "seen on" date and a "date of issue" to be valid. i have a large amount of parking fines and have paid back roughly half of them. i have no idea how to start persuing them for my money back if i can. or if i should even keep paying them off.

Yes you can but the council will not make it easy for you. I am from England and I have a court case in September where I am seeking my money back.

My claim is based on "restitution" and that I paid the PCN as "mistake of fact".

To get you money back you will need sue the local authority. They will try and defend but based on established case law you will have a very good chance of victory. You can add interest to your claim also.

• 1 month later...

Balatro,

Just noticed your post about Aberdeen parking. At the moment the Council is on hold waiting on a committee meeting to decide what they are going to do. As far as I am concerned they will have to write off all the tickets as Edinburgh did see here:

Scotsman.com News - Traffic wardens & parking regulations - Council writes off £6.5m in 'unlawful' parking fines

This is exactly the same reason that Aberdeen is having it's arm twisted to drop the fines. If they don't follow Edinburgh there will be an outcry.

A way for you to claim your fines back would be to follow the reclaim bank charges technique but with parking fines at small claims and go about it that way.

As for paying the rest of your fines off. It's your choice but I'd keep an eye on the local paper. The journo is hot on their heels chasing this story. The story will make the papers once it breaks. Could mean you are paying money for nothing.

Cheers

DT