• Tweets

• Makers of insect-based animal feed hope to be able to compete with soybeans on price.View the full article
    • Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
    • pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’.  Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time.  You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID.  You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.<<**IMPORTANT**  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?486334-CPR-31.14-Request-to-use-on-receipt-of-a-PPC-(-Private-Land-Parking-Court-Claim type your name ONLY no need to sign anything .you DO NOT await the return of paperwork. you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform.
    • well post it here as a text in a the msg reply half of it is blanked out. dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Not even my car!

Jeffro82
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6104 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

I was in my girlfriend's parked car and a community support officer noticed that the car tax was out of date. She took my name and address. I then received a letter to say that they were charging ME £51 for this even though the car isn't mine!

Do I have to pay this (don't see why I should!). I want to write back to them but I'm sure what to say.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

They could look at it as You were in charge of the vehicle.

Has your girlfriend recived notification as well? as the registered keeper will get one too.

I personally would challenge this, stating that you were a passenger in the vehicle

DVLALO(ENP) SWIFT HOUSE 18 HOFFMANNS WAY

CHELMSFORD

CM1 1GU

Telephone: 01245 491771

Our reference:

Unlicensed Vehicle:

Dear

We have received an offence report alleging that at 13:25hrs on you were responsible for using/keeping the above vehicle on a public road whilst unlicensed in GROSVENOR ROAD WESTCLIFF . Even if the vehicle has been licensed since this date, the offence still stands.

For this offence, an out of court settlement of £51.00 is required to avoid court action2. Please make your cheque or postal order payable to 'DVLA' and return with this notice in the enclosed envelope to the above address by . Instalments are not acceptable. If we do not receive payment for this alleged offence, the Agency will take court action against you.

This offer does not affect any separate penalty the police or courts may have imposed for any other offence. If your vehicle is still unlicensed and being used or kept on a public road you must relicense it immediately. If the vehicle is kept off the public road, you should make a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) declaration.

If you need to contact us, please quote the registration mark of the vehicle. Yours sincerely

Mrs P Woolley

on behalf of the Secretary of State for Transport

1 Contrary to Section 29 of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994.

2 Section 6 of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 gives the Agency the power to offer an alleged offender a chance

to settle the matter without any intervention from a court. This penalty does not include any element of duty. The offence

carries a maximum penalty of £1000.00 or five times the annual rate of duty whichever is greater. The court will impose an

additional penalty equivalent to any outstanding arrears of duty. We may also request a minimum of £45.00 towards costs.

I don't see how they can fine you when it isn't even your car, but your girlfriend shouldn't be driving round without tax. By doing that she invalidates her insurance, I have a good friend who was crashed into by someone like this, not good. I would appeal stating it isn't your car you are not the reg keeper and were just a passenger on the day. I suppose it is then up to you whether you drop her in it by mentioning her name or not. If she is the reg keeper they may just reissue the ticket to her. I hope she is not still driving round illegally like that! Alternatively make her pay lol. I wouldn't have given the officer my name and address. I would have politely stated I was just a passenger surely he could have just issued a ticket on the vehicle?

Good luck

ali x

Btw I am no expert just give notes based on what I have read on here and other forums/sites, plus my own experiences and investigations.

All ccj's now dropped off file, 2 yrs to go to clear file.

All old debts either settled or made unenforcable.

RBS MPP-Full offer at 8 wks from first complaint

RBS Overdraft loanguard-full offer at 8 wks from complaint

Citicard ppi-with FOS finally paid 8 months after offer through FOS!

Capital one x2- with FOS

Monument ppi-with FOS

aqua x2 ppi-partialled settled still pushing for the rest

Black horse ppi-offers made and accepted except for one early loan they say no info held-still pushing for payment

yeah thanks for that alibobsy although I was asking for advice, not a lecture. just because your mate had a bad experience, no need to tar everyone with the same brush. fyi my girlfriend was without tax for 2 days, hardly crime of the century

I don't see how they can fine you when it isn't even your car, but your girlfriend shouldn't be driving round without tax. By doing that she invalidates her insurance

Urban myth

Thee are occasions where a car does not have to be either taxed or MoT'd on the public highway - it remains insured.

Even if you did something that did void your insurance policy, the RTA places an obligation on the insurance company to meet third party claims.

Sorry Pat its not an urban myth, insurance companies will use any excuse to get out of paying. Most (if not all) car insurance policies include the condition that to be insured the car must have valid tax. I am not saying the insurance companies are right, and you may be able to negotiate with them over a payout especially like you say third party claims. But there is a distinct possibility that they would void any claim or try to. Yes if she was on her way to the Post office to get her tax, or on her way to get an mot you are allowed on the public highway and the insurance should stand and the ticket would be incorrect.

I was not trying to lecture and obviously didn't know the full circumstances. If she was waiting for payday to get the tax etc then I know some months it can be tight I do understand. Its just the fact that when I drive round with my 2 young kids in the car (baby 3 on the way) I do worry about uninsured/non taxed/non moted drivers on the roads. I don't think the OP should have to pay the fine and I think the warden was cheeky asking for his details when he was quite clearly not the driver. At this stage if I were him and would write in and explain I was just a passenger and its not my vehicle. Leave it at that, it will then be up to the ticketing office whether they try to look at reissue to the RK etc.They may just write it off.

ali x

Btw I am no expert just give notes based on what I have read on here and other forums/sites, plus my own experiences and investigations.

All ccj's now dropped off file, 2 yrs to go to clear file.

All old debts either settled or made unenforcable.

RBS MPP-Full offer at 8 wks from first complaint

RBS Overdraft loanguard-full offer at 8 wks from complaint

Citicard ppi-with FOS finally paid 8 months after offer through FOS!

Capital one x2- with FOS

Monument ppi-with FOS

aqua x2 ppi-partialled settled still pushing for the rest

Black horse ppi-offers made and accepted except for one early loan they say no info held-still pushing for payment

Sorry Pat its not an urban myth, insurance companies will use any excuse to get out of paying.

It is urban myth.

Yes, insurance companies will try anything to get out of paying out - but this one doesn't fly for them.

If you have a car that has been SORN'd and the MoT certificate is expired. You are entitled to drive it to/from MoT test appointment and, if necessary, to/from repair appointment. The vehicle needs neither VED or MoT, it does need to be insured.

Most (if not all) car insurance policies include the condition that to be insured the car must have valid tax.
In all my driving career with several insurance companies, I have never seen such a condition. Certainly there is usually a clause that the vehicle must be in roadworthy condition - but that is not the same thing as taxed and MoT'd

Yes if she was on her way to the Post office to get her tax, ........ you are allowed on the public highway and the insurance should stand and the ticket would be incorrect.
No. the vehicle must be taxed and MoT'd to drive to the Post Office. You are not allowed to drive without displaying VED unless you are driving an exempt vehicle. A ticket for failing to display is valid even if the vehicle is taxed - it is a separate offence

Personally, I would simply ask the gf for the £51, pay up, and leave it at that.

It is the person who is in charge of the vehicle, NOT necessarily the registered keeper, who can be fined if the vehicle is seen on the roads without tax. As the 'driver' you are responsible for the condition of the car. I even know of someone who was taking a test drive from a reputable dealer, and was stopped. They were fined and given points for driving a defective vehicle, despite the salesman sitting in the car next to him explaining that the car belonged to the dealership!

The reason I suggest paying up now, is that £51 is a relatively low sum, given the fine payable if it gets to court. There's no guarantee that if it is appealed, and they go after the gf for the same offence (failure to display) or (perhaps worse) failure to tax (which is different) that she will get off with a lesser punishment, and may even end up with a greater one.

If it weren't a close friend, relative or gf's car, I would appeal it on the basis that you weren't in charge of the vehicle at the time, although this is a moot point. It is my understanding that even having the keys in your possession makes you 'in charge', and drunks who have opened their car doors and fallen asleep in the passenger seat have been charged with "drink driving" since the law covers driving, attempting to drive, or simply 'being in charge'.

Whilst it is patently silly to suggest that a person left in the passenger seat is automatically 'in charge' of the vehicle, particularly where there is no evidence offered that the keys were in their possession, you'll still have to plead your case in court, and even if you win, they'll go straight after your gf for the same (or alternative) offence, and one or other will still end up paying anyway.

Just get her to pay it...

jampot,

If this were failure to display or some other driving other C&U offence, I would tend to agree with you.

However, continous VED/SORN is entirely and solely the responsibility of the RK. It is not the responsibilty of the driver or person in charge of the vehicle.

To be clear:

Failure to have valid VED - RK responsibility - enforced by DVLA

Failure to display valid VED - driver responsiblity - enforced by Police

So why had the OP recievd a notice from the DVLA when his Girlfriend is the RK?

And why didnt the PCSO issue a FPN for failure to display?

Obviously you cant answer these, just the scenario

Hi Jeffro

I would write back to Mrs Woolley quoting her opening statement of

"We have received an offence report alleging that at 13:25hrs on you were responsible for using/keeping the above vehicle on a public road whilst unlicensed in GROSVENOR ROAD WESTCLIFF . "

and advise that you rigorously deny any liability and require a copy of the offence report by return. Include the term "this matter is in dispute".

I stongly recommend ever communication is in writing and that this initial letter is sent registered.

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) - Awaiting court date

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) Pre-6 yrs- LBA sent.

3 Wins :

Barclays t/a The Woolwich (Data Protection Act breach costs & compliance)

HSBC (on behalf of brother)

Settled Out of Court - £3,874.76

Alliance & Leicester (on behalf of friend)

Settled Out of Court - £723.41

jampot,

If this were failure to display or some other driving other C&U offence, I would tend to agree with you.

However, continous VED/SORN is entirely and solely the responsibility of the RK. It is not the responsibilty of the driver or person in charge of the vehicle.

To be clear:

I totally agree that continuous VED/SORN is the responsibility of the RK. I was under the impression (wrongly?) that the OP had had his collar felt for 'Failure to Display'.

Which is why I said, if he appeals the failure to display, his gf could get hit with either failure to display, or failure to have VED - the latter probably being a worse penalty.

If he's being chased for failure to have valid VED, then I quite agree - no liability exists, and none can be proven against the OP. However, they are likely to chase the RK instead...

On further inspection, the DVLA letter is rather ambiguous:

"you were responsible for using/keeping the above vehicle on a public road whilst unlicensed in GROSVENOR ROAD WESTCLIFF . Even if the vehicle has been licensed since this date, the offence still stands."

The first sentence implies that the offence is perhaps failure to license, the second implies failure to display.

On the whole, I *think* the DVLA is claiming this is failure to display, but it is totally unclear!

On further inspection, the DVLA letter is rather ambiguous:

"you were responsible for using/keeping the above vehicle on a public road whilst unlicensed in GROSVENOR ROAD WESTCLIFF . Even if the vehicle has been licensed since this date, the offence still stands."

The first sentence implies that the offence is perhaps failure to license, the second implies failure to display.

On the whole, I *think* the DVLA is claiming this is failure to display, but it is totally unclear!

No, that's not what they mean.

They are saying that on XX date the vehicle was being used unlicensed on the road named.

The second sentence is stating that even if you have taxed it since, this does not affect the offence on that particular date.

Failure to display is (and can) not be enforced by DVLA.

The DVLA will not fine for failure to display

This is a section 29 case, which means the vehicle had no vaild tax.

The registered keeper is responsible for the vehicles tax.

Normally in a named case such as yours the DVLA will issue a fine for the whole unlicensed period to the keeper and the driver for the date of offence.

The DVLA sometimes decides to pursue one case, normally if the two people reside at the same place relatives etc They choose the named driver as they are the easiest to take to court