Halifax Harrassment

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6119 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Please could someone help me.

Back in March this month I me and my partner had an increase in our mortgate payment which literally doubled due to the ending of an special rate. We have tried to lower the payment but this was the best we could do.

This is my partners house but I contribute to the running costs not the mortgage as my partner pays this but since it increased i have taken on more household bills ie gas/electric insurance and more for housekeeping due to my partner being unable to afford.

This left me not having enough to pay my outstanding debts so I contacted my creditors and all but the Halifax agreed to reduced payments.

They are constantly phoning asking for more which I cannot afford to pay and have advised me that they will only accept an I&E from someone like payplan.

I have contacted Payplan and because me and my partners outgoings are more than whats coming in have been advised to make a token payment offer to the halifax.

They dont seem to like this very much and wont accept an I&E form from myself but instead keep asking if a family member can help me out or I can get the money from elsewhere.

basically with paying the halifax what they WANT leaves me -£75 a month.

To add insult to injury they are now collecting under the name of Albion Collection with the same number as the Halifax

I also bank with the Halifax and they have called in my overdraft of £1400 which they again want paying back at £233 per month??? no less and wont budge on it.

Can any one help me as im getting a bit stressed over the whole thing.

Ive been advised to open a new bank account which I am going to do tomorow

Thanks in advance for any advise

iiSit back, breathe deeply and don't let these people bother you, its hard I know but they can't make you pay more than you can afford, my family went through CCCS, they sent us a self-help pack and a member number you can quote to the creditors, also send them the letter re Telephone Harassment. They were really agressive to my daughter too when she was paying them a token payment so eventually we have taken the CCA route i.e. asking for a true copy of the agreement which most CC's don't seem to have, if they can't provide it within the time frame it makes the debt unenforceable, read around you will soon get the hang of it although there seems to be some division re:overdrafts and the CCA. There will be plenty more people along shortly to advise you I'm sure. Just re-read, yes do open another bank account, are there any penalty charges on your present one, unfortunately the OFT case means you wouldn't get your money very fast but you can register.

You will get stronger as you go along, don't let them get to you, what they are doing now with the harassment is to not give you enough time to think, take control, you've found this site now:)

Hi Simountain

On The Motley Fool website they have a great document titled 'what can they do to me?' You can find this on the 'dealing with debt' forum.

The first thing you should do is to open up an account in a bank which you don't owe anything to. If your credit file has been impaired you will have to go for a 'basic' account such as the 'step account' at Natwest. I think the Co-op do one as well.

Once you have opened up your new account you can treat your overdraft as another debt and include this in you statement of affairs.

The banks are generally bullies and you have to be tough in dealing with them or they'll walk all over you. Just remember that they can not make you pay more than you have.

Crezzie

Simountain,

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Try to relax; we're here to help.

A couple of golden rules for you:

Harassment is not legal - do not allow it to continue. Are they phoning you at all hours demanding payment? There's lots of help and advice here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/99361-you-being-harassed-telephone.html about stopping it.

Most of their threats are Hot Air - Much of the phone harassment and template threatograms you get in the post are designed solely to intimidate you into paying more than you can afford. A court will not make you pay more than you can realistically afford. DCA's will try to do exactly that. Learn your rights from this site.

;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Natwest Step Account which has been pretty good so far and has a decent online system where I can check direct debits, standing orders and pay bills. No cheque book, but cheques were part of my problem in the first place if I'm honest!

Bank and credit card reclaims - £9,806

Sainsburys CCA non-compliance with FOS;

Natwest reclaim of £340 in progress;

Egg credit card reclaim in progress

I also have the Natwest 'step account'. There are 3 banks with the basic accounts and as long as you have not been declared bankrupt then you should not have a problem getting one of these basic accounts. If you have to go through a credit check then they are trying to sell you something other than their basic account.

For example, if you go into Natwest ask specifically for the 'Step' account and don't take no for an answer. They actually have a legal obligation to give you this account. With this you will not get a cheque book as already mentioned and no overdraft. However, you should get a 'solo' debit card which I find works nearly everywhere and online and telephone banking facilities.

Thanks for all your help with this to everyone who replied

Again the calls have started 5 from albion collections for my loan with them and 1 yesterday and 4 today from the halifax for my overdraft.

Ive started logging all calls in a diary with names and times and what was said.

The thing that gets me is that they are asking for a repayment on the overdraft which was agreed to be paid monthly on the last friday of the month.

Does this constitute harassment because its getting me down now and im sick of the calls.

I cant change the telephone number because my ISP will charge me if I do

Thanks in advance

Simon

post office WON 12/11/06

abbey.LBA sent 30/10/06.MCOL claim submitted 8/11/06.allocation questionnaire sent 16/12/06.schedule of charges sent 16/12/06.WON

2nd abbey claim SAR sent 3/1/07.WON.complaint letter sent 18/1/08

alliance and Leicester.WON