• Tweets

• Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
    • Weaknesses in some banks' security measures for online and mobile banking could leave customers more exposed to scammers, new data from Which? reveals.View the full article
    • I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

i have a loan with Welcome - Extortionate APR.

Jamesx81x
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6085 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Does anyone know of any way you can challenge a companies APR and how high it has to be before it can be classed as extortionate?

I have a loan with Welcome and the APR stands at %60 and another with Provident and we all know about them.

People may say you knew the APR before entering these loans but when your in need and these are the only companies that can help then its too tempting.

I want to challenge these companies as i am paying off my loan and it never seems to be going down.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

IVA Entry Removed

Nationwide Default Removed

Nationwide Joint Account Default Removed

Natwest Default Removed

Blackhorse Car Finance Court Claim - Won

If you were aware of the APR when you signed the credit agreement - and you will have been if you read it properly then you do not have a leg to stand on.

I too have provident and welcome loans - they don't appear to go down quickly at first - just like a mortgage you pay off interest for the vast majority of th term and only in the latter stages start top really clear the debt. Best advice? bite the bullet and search for a reasonable APR consolidation loan.

You will still pay a lot to pay off the original loans - more than the original ammount you got but if you get a lower apr then long term you will save.

:eek:ABBEY

Data Protection Act request complied with within 40 Days and no £10 charge..

31/01/07 Prelim Letter sent with schedule of charges.

19/02/07 LBA Sent with schedule of charges

08/03/07 MCOL started

09/03/07 £160 GOGW payment into account

23/07/07 Court Date set for 10/10/07

02/08/07 CPR Part 18 Request Submitted

10/08/07 Stay requested by Abbey :mad:

20/08/07 Claim Stayed by District Judge :mad:

:eek:HSBC

02/02/07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Letter sent

22/02/07 Statements received and again no £10 charge...."happy to provide at their cost"

26/02/07 Prelim Letter to be sent with schedule of charges.

12/03/07 LBA sent with schedule of charges

Just found this info on unfair terms hope it helps other people in same situation.

From 6 April 2007, if you take out a loan, or enter into any other type of credit agreement, you can make a complaint if you think any aspect of the agreement is unfair. For example, you might think your credit agreement is unfair because:

• you have been charged interest at an exceptionally high rate
  • the creditor gave you wrong or misleading information, or didn't give you enough information when you were deciding whether to take out the loan
  • the creditor failed to make a proper assessment of whether the loan was suitable for you.

There are other reasons you might think your credit agreement is unfair.

You can make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service. If the Ombudsman agrees that your credit agreement is unfair, they can order the creditor to pay you compensation and to put the matter right. The Ombudsman's decision is legally binding and can be enforced by a court.

IVA Entry Removed

Natwest Default Removed

So James do ANY of these points apply ??

I woudln't class 60% as exceptionally high, look at Log Book Loans for extremely high rates.

Did they give you misleading information or an inproper assesment ???

Also these apply on loans taken out after April 2007, is this your loan ?

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

Yeah thanks for the clever reply.

It appys to the loan i have with Provident and will apply to alot of other people who have hight interest loans.

With regards to Welcome Finance:

Yes i was mis-sold PPI

Yes they mis-led me with their T&C

Think it costs £25 to ring me

Think it costs £20 to write to me

Oh and yes it was taken out after April 2007.

It was some info for people with unfair agreements who wondered what to do about them.

So how about wind your neck in??

IVA Entry Removed

Natwest Default Removed

How about you be polite to people who are trying to give you genuine advice by asking questions pertinent to your situation? Or did you just come on here to be sycophantically agreed with, regardless of the actual legalities, hmm?

• Haha 1

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Shouldnt ask in a clever manner then and wouldnt receive a clever answer!

Simple as that!

IVA Entry Removed

Natwest Default Removed

James, I wasn't trying to be clever but point out a few things.

Now as I mentioned 60% ISN'T considered high, Log Book Loans TYPICAL rate is OVER 300% !!!. Now THAT is extreme.

The fact you think you where mis-sold PPI (for an undisclosed reason), and the high "admin" charges are a different matter altogether.

Challenging the high "admn" charges is easy, the PPI is another matter and more information would be needed for effective help.

As you seem to be in a combative frame of mind, I'm not really sure if it would be worth anyones while even advising you of the best course of action.

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

My apolgies.

Thought it was another sarcastic reply seem to be having a few of them lately!

:)

IVA Entry Removed

Natwest Default Removed

Just found this info on unfair terms hope it helps other people in same situation.

From 6 April 2007, if you take out a loan, or enter into any other type of credit agreement, you can make a complaint if you think any aspect of the agreement is unfair. For example, you might think your credit agreement is unfair because:

• you have been charged interest at an exceptionally high rate
  • the creditor gave you wrong or misleading information, or didn't give you enough information when you were deciding whether to take out the loan
  • the creditor failed to make a proper assessment of whether the loan was suitable for you.

There are other reasons you might think your credit agreement is unfair.

You can make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service. If the Ombudsman agrees that your credit agreement is unfair, they can order the creditor to pay you compensation and to put the matter right. The Ombudsman's decision is legally binding and can be enforced by a court.

Hi James , Some very sound info there , Would you think the Financial ombudsman would be able to advise/help me regarding a loan contract I have with Log Book Loans ?? I was told that the Financial Ombudsman Service only deal with High Street banks and mortgage companys do you know if this is still true ???

I was never told that the APR was 375% but it was written on the loan contract but I was stupid enough not to notice it , however there is a part on the contract that says Log Book Loans cannot take the car without a court order !!they did take it without a court order so would that be enought to contact the Financial Ombudsman about or would I be waisting my time ??.

I was not made aware that the loan was any different from a normal loan I have had cars on HP before and never had any problems but my payments with Log Book Loans were almost up to date I hade payed them back more than double the amount I borrowed and they came and took my car without warning !! when I was out . Cheers Alex

Hi

They deal with all kinds of financial institutes thats where i got the info from. At the moment it only applies to agreements taken out after April 2007 but from April 2008 will apply to all agreements.

As the APR is on the agreement they can argue this with you. Then again you could say they didnt give you enough information or allowed you to read the agreement properly.

Did they credit check you or assess your bank statements to see your income and outgoings? If not you could argue that they didnt assess your suitability for a loan and whether that you would be comfortably afford repayments.

As for the car im sure they cant just take it without a court order but dont quote me on that. Best bet will be to go to your local Citizens Advice they will point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

IVA Entry Removed

Natwest Default Removed

All depends on the type of arrangement. If HP, then yes, there's no problem they can reposess without going to court. If you've simply bought money from them to buy the car, then - if the loan is secured on the vehicle, again they can reposess this to mitigate their loss in case of non-payment. If the car forms no part of the deal, then they cannot take it without formal court action against you, and they treat it as an asset.

• 5 weeks later...
I was never told that the APR was 375% but it was written on the loan contract but I was stupid enough not to notice it , however there is a part on the contract that says Log Book Loans cannot take the car without a court order !!

Sorry, old thread, but - where in your contract was this? I don't have it in mine, just lots about how they may seize it from anywhere and can break in if they wish!

• dx100uk changed the title to i have a loan with Welcome - Extortionate APR.