• Tweets

• The reason I asked was that the Director said you only appealed once to  Bank and appeared to ignore that you also appealed to the IAS who gave the pointer what he think happened. Could it be that the director deliberately ignored the IAS decision and hoped you wouldn't mention it?
    • Hi BankFodder, Thanks for the reply.  I will take your advice and read through more thoroughly. To answer your question, the value of the laptop is £255.  When filling in the online form to prepare the shipment it asked what the contents of the parcel was and the value and I specified "laptop" and "£255". Thanks.
    • Before you start this claim you need to have a lot more confidence in what you're doing which means that you need to understand the way forward in the principles involved more thoroughly. We will help you and you will probably get your money back but this is a self empowerment forum and so you have to do your bit as well. Please will you spend at least the next couple of days reading through the stories on this sub- forum. Try to understand them thoroughly. We have lots of stories very similar to yours but even those which are not similar, have principles in them which apply. In particular you need to read and understand the information in the pinned topics at the top of the sub- forum. I know that you have been reading around here for the past couple of hours but it needs a lot more. You aren't in a huge hurry. Wait a few days before sending a letter of claim and also that needs some amendment as well. Come back here when you've done your reading and then we will have a look at your letter of claim and help you to refine it Also, please tell us the value of the laptop. Was it properly declared as a laptop – and was the value properly declared
    • Unsure what would be classed as appeal I first contacted the applicant then IAS. I am not aware I could appeal again as Bank state I was informed that is news to me. I would have to look through the paper work, I apologise I forget so much due to my caring duties wish I had quality time to get so much done. Will try and look tomorrow, appreciate everyone's time and input.
    • Regular savings accounts are accounts designed for savers who put money aside every month and reward them with a generous interest rate.View the full article
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Office Of Fair Trading Test Case

Guest Wild Billy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5888 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I love the images that the "stalking horse" description conjures up..... some big lumbering clumsy pantomine horse... which after all is what this hole business is.... a bloody pantomine !!

"He's behind you..." !!!!

.... Now which of you is going to volunteer to dress up in drag as the pantomine dame ?

PM

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The discussions between the banks/OFT/FSA about the agreement of

the test case were going on way before June.

I believe the A&L case has been settled out of court anyway so disclosure

won't be made

Everythin i have read, says the banks approached the OFT in June.

[COLOR=#2e8b57][B][SIZE=1][U]Claimed & won so far[/U]:-[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=#2e8b57][SIZE=1][COLOR=seagreen][U]Banks[/U]:- NatWest Personal £1000, Natwest Business £2000, Lloyds TSB Personal £1500, [U]Mortgages[/U]:-Central Capital (PPI) £500, Natwest MEAF £140 [/COLOR][COLOR=#2e8b57][U]Credit cards[/U]:- HSBC Gold card £365, Capital One £599.55 Barclaycard £1070 ( i only aske for £700) , Lloyds £500 [U]Catalogues[/U]:- Littlewoods Direct Flex Account £60 :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR] [COLOR=#2e8b57][SIZE=1][B][U]For Friends[/U][/B]:- Natwest £1500, £1800 & £500, Cap One £600, Barclaycard £400, Solutions £100, Aqua, £105.[/SIZE][/COLOR] [COLOR=#2e8b57][B][U][SIZE=1][COLOR=seagreen]Pending:-[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/B] [COLOR=seagreen][SIZE=1]Barclays Bank Personal (On hold - Thanks a lot OFT) :mad:.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR]

As I understand it, evidence from the banks to the OFT of how much breaches cost are not relevent untill there is a legal ruling on whether UTCRR aplies. Surely the application of UTCRR is the test as to whether the charges are lawful or not.

It is notable that the test case agreement does not include any reference to disclosure of the banks charge costs and will only come into play once the application of UTCRR is established.

Ok, I understand. :)

Why is a court ruling needed for this though? I don't understand that - so any contract now can only be reegulated by the UTCRR if a court rules? I'm confused....

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

Ok, I understand. :)

Why is a court ruling needed for this though? I don't understand that - so any contract now can only be reegulated by the UTCRR if a court rules? I'm confused....

The regulatory framework gives the OFT the power to launch actions to get a court order to determine whether a general term is unfair in all circumstances. Normal legal actions just deal with individual cases; the regulatory framework allows the OFT and court to proactively bring a case to court to determin whether a term is unfair even if no consumer brings a case against on the issues (or, in this case, where the Banks refused to appeal so that a legal precident could be formed).

• Haha 1

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

The regulatory framework gives the OFT the power to launch actions to get a court order to determine whether a general term is unfair in all circumstances. Normal legal actions just deal with individual cases; the regulatory framework allows the OFT and court to proactively bring a case to court to determin whether a term is unfair even if no consumer brings a case against on the issues (or, in this case, where the Banks refused to appeal so that a legal precident could be formed).

Cheers.

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

Everythin i have read, says the banks approached the OFT in June.

When I settled with barclaycard back in April 07 the clerk told me a test case was being worked on as we spoke, the banks legal teams were already in discussions. I sincerely believe that this OFT case has been on the cards for a long time. At first I thought it was provado but when the anouncement came, I realised that was what he was speaking about.

DS

That explains the delay tactics then.

Thats why the waiver should not have included cases already started. The banks were able to abuse their knowledge of the planned test case, to stop these people getting their money.

[COLOR=#2e8b57][B][SIZE=1][U]Claimed & won so far[/U]:-[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=#2e8b57][SIZE=1][COLOR=seagreen][U]Banks[/U]:- NatWest Personal £1000, Natwest Business £2000, Lloyds TSB Personal £1500, [U]Mortgages[/U]:-Central Capital (PPI) £500, Natwest MEAF £140 [/COLOR][COLOR=#2e8b57][U]Credit cards[/U]:- HSBC Gold card £365, Capital One £599.55 Barclaycard £1070 ( i only aske for £700) , Lloyds £500 [U]Catalogues[/U]:- Littlewoods Direct Flex Account £60 :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR] [COLOR=#2e8b57][SIZE=1][B][U]For Friends[/U][/B]:- Natwest £1500, £1800 & £500, Cap One £600, Barclaycard £400, Solutions £100, Aqua, £105.[/SIZE][/COLOR] [COLOR=#2e8b57][B][U][SIZE=1][COLOR=seagreen]Pending:-[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/B] [COLOR=seagreen][SIZE=1]Barclays Bank Personal (On hold - Thanks a lot OFT) :mad:.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR]

I sincerely believe that this OFT case has been on the cards for a long time. DS

I would agree. The OFT were due to announce the findings of their inquiry

into penalty charges in March but then issued the 'no quick fix' statement

on 29 March so they must have delayed it knowing a test case was on the cards.

Apart from anything else it must have taken at least 6 months for all the

parties to agree on the terms of the case. With 8 banks, the BBA, OFT, FSA and the FOS all with thier own hordes of lawyers, it's not the sort of

agreement you could knock up in a few weeks.

My FoIA request (below) is due for a response tomorrow and might shed

a bit more light on it.

Dear FSA FoIA coordinator

I am writing to you to request information about the July 26 announcement 'FSA grants waiver on complaints handling'.

This is a request under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and I believe should not be subject to any of the qualified or absolute exemptions.

The request is in 6 parts:

1) On what date was it agreed that the OFT and banks would take a test case? Was the FSA involved in those discussions?

2) On what date was it agreed that the FSA would introduce a waiver?

3) On what date was your report entitled 'FSA grants waiver on complaints handling' agreed for publication' ?

4) On what date was it decided to publish the said report on 27 July?

5) Please provide the advice supplied to senior management in regard to the date of publication.

6) Please supply all correpondence (either letter or e-mail) between the OFT and the FSA between January 2007 and 27 July 2007 in relation to bank charges.

I look forward to a substantive response within 20 working days. I have considered this request carefully, checking each request against the exemptions in the Freedom of Information Act 2000, and if you fail to provide the information requested then I will ask for an internal review. If I am unsatisfied with that response then I will make a complaint to the Information Commissioner and ask him to make a Decision Notice requiring the FSA to release the information. Having analysed previous Decision Notices, I am more than confident that the Information Commissioner would require ALL this information to be released.

I would agree. The OFT were due to announce the findings of their inquiry

into penalty charges in March but then issued the 'no quick fix' statement

on 29 March so they must have delayed it knowing a test case was on the cards.

Apart from anything else it must have taken at least 6 months for all the

parties to agree on the terms of the case. With 8 banks, the BBA, OFT, FSA and the FOS all with thier own hordes of lawyers, it's not the sort of

agreement you could knock up in a few weeks.

My FoIA request (below) is due for a response tomorrow and might shed

a bit more light on it.

Dear FSA FoIA coordinator

I am writing to you to request information about the July 26 announcement 'FSA grants waiver on complaints handling'.

This is a request under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and I believe should not be subject to any of the qualified or absolute exemptions.

The request is in 6 parts:

1) On what date was it agreed that the OFT and banks would take a test case? Was the FSA involved in those discussions?

2) On what date was it agreed that the FSA would introduce a waiver?

3) On what date was your report entitled 'FSA grants waiver on complaints handling' agreed for publication' ?

4) On what date was it decided to publish the said report on 27 July?

5) Please provide the advice supplied to senior management in regard to the date of publication.

6) Please supply all correpondence (either letter or e-mail) between the OFT and the FSA between January 2007 and 27 July 2007 in relation to bank charges.

I look forward to a substantive response within 20 working days. I have considered this request carefully, checking each request against the exemptions in the Freedom of Information Act 2000, and if you fail to provide the information requested then I will ask for an internal review. If I am unsatisfied with that response then I will make a complaint to the Information Commissioner and ask him to make a Decision Notice requiring the FSA to release the information. Having analysed previous Decision Notices, I am more than confident that the Information Commissioner would require ALL this information to be released.

I look forward to hearing the outcome of your letter, I hope they play ball and release ALL the info that you have requested!!

DS

Hi,

Don't know if it's been mentioned but the petition is currently at number 3 :)

Nice one! :)

Open petitions

Haha, technical problem my a**:

** Barclays needs central bank loan **

Barclays says a technical problem forced it to borrow £1.6bn and denies it is facing a cash crisis.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/1/hi/business/6971731.stm >

My charges claims:

Default removals:

...and I wonder how they will cope with paying out everyone automatically who have had charges taken once they lose this case - which they will.

Doesn't matter - it was on the news today that the bank's are making millions in interest whilst claims are stayed, so that will probably pay for it.

I wouldn't be so sure that they will lose either - I reckon they might just win you know.....especially due to the impact this would have on the economy!!

My charges claims:

Default removals:

...and I wonder how they will cope with paying out everyone automatically who have had charges taken once they lose this case - which they will.

If the OFT wins the case I can't see what mechanism exists that would

automatically refund past charges. I'm sure the courts don't have the

power to order blanket refunds and nor do the regulators.

Below is a transcript of a Paul Lewis interview with our old chum, the FSA's Clive Briualt:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

MONEY BOX

Presenter: PAUL LEWIS

TRANSMISSION: 27th JANUARY 2007 12.00-

12.30pm RADIO 4

LEWIS: Hello. In today’s programme, millions of

homeowners could recover £100 or more each from their mortgage

lender after the regulator says some charges are unfair. The European

Court of Justice says that a government pension compensation scheme

is not good enough, but will it be improved? Bob Howard’s here with

the latest on claiming back bank charges.

HOWARD: Are judges losing patience with banks

who don’t seem to want their day in court?

WOMAN: The judge is finally standing up to the

banks and the banks’ solicitors and saying come on, stop wasting our

time.

LEWIS: And should you link your gas and

electricity bills to the wholesale price of fuel?

But first, millions of homeowners could get a refund from their

mortgage lender after yet another ruling that the financial services

industry has been treating its customers unfairly. This time, the

regulator has told banks and building societies that the fees they charge

people to leave a mortgage deal – so called exit fees – have been

unfairly increased after the mortgage began. Ten years ago exit fees

averaged less than £60. Today, they’re more than £200, forcing

borrowers to pay a much higher fee than they were told about when

they took out the loan. Money Box revealed that the Financial Services

Authority was investigating these charges more than a year ago and last

summer mortgage adviser Danny Lovey told us why he felt the

regulator had to act.

LOVEY: They’re a scandal and people like me are

embarrassed and very irritated when lenders are putting charges up.

What we want to do really is to keep the lenders honest and transparent.

When they move the goalposts when the client is actually in the middle

of a mortgage deal or towards the end of a mortgage deal, they have the

consumer over a barrel and I just think it’s wrong.

LEWIS: Well 6 months on, the FSA has taken

action. Clive Briault is its Head of Retail Markets.

BRIAULT: We’ve told lenders that if over the last

few years they have increased these exit fees by a substantial amount,

then they have to decide whether to reduce the fee back to what it was

originally when the consumer took out the mortgage or alternatively

justify any increase that they’ve imposed. And we believe this will be

of benefit to millions of consumers because in the vast majority of cases

what the lenders will do is bring the fee back to its original level.

LEWIS: What about new customers though?

Does it do anything for them or can a mortgage lender fix the fee at

£500 or £1,000 as long as they then stick to that when the mortgage

comes to an end?

BRIAULT: They have to be absolutely clear about

what their fees are and the basis on which any changes during the life of

a contract could be made.

LEWIS: But it doesn’t have to reflect the actual

cost?

BRIAULT: It doesn’t, no.

LEWIS: But what about the 6 million or so people

who have already remortgaged in the last 5 years, paid those fees.

What should they do?

BRIAULT: Well if those people have paid an exit fee

which they thought was unfairly high because they paid a fee which

was substantially higher than the fee that they thought they would have

to pay when they entered into the mortgage, they should complain to

their former lender.

LEWIS: And they should get the difference back?

BRIAULT: Well unless the lender can justify a

reason for the increase, then they should get the difference back, yes.

LEWIS: And are you telling lenders to find these

people or are they going to have to make a claim?

BRIAULT: We’re not telling lenders that they have to

undertake a review of all of their past business.

LEWIS: But they must have the records. Why

not?

BRIAULT: We don’t have the powers under the

unfair contract terms to instigate a past business review.

LEWIS: Did you ask them? Did you suggest to

them they might do this as part of your negotiations?

BRIAULT: Well clearly, yes we did discuss that with

them …

LEWIS: And they said no?

BRIAULT: … in terms of whether the industry would

be prepared to do that on a voluntary basis …

BRIAULT: … and for something which would cover

the whole of the industry.

LEWIS: They said no?

BRIAULT: Well they certainly didn’t say yes

immediately and I think had we tried to engineer and broke such a

solution, we would have ended up not benefiting millions of consumers

now that probably are entering into a very protracted negotiation which

could have gone on for a long time.

If the OFT wins the case I can't see what mechanism exists that would

automatically refund past charges. I'm sure the courts don't have the

power to order blanket refunds and nor do the regulators.

Below is a transcript of a Paul Lewis interview with our old chum, the FSA's Clive Briualt:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

MONEY BOX

Presenter: PAUL LEWIS

TRANSMISSION: 27th JANUARY 2007 12.00-

12.30pm RADIO 4

LEWIS: Hello. In today’s programme, millions of

homeowners could recover £100 or more each from their mortgage

lender after the regulator says some charges are unfair. The European

Court of Justice says that a government pension compensation scheme

is not good enough, but will it be improved? Bob Howard’s here with

the latest on claiming back bank charges.

HOWARD: Are judges losing patience with banks

who don’t seem to want their day in court?

WOMAN: The judge is finally standing up to the

banks and the banks’ solicitors and saying come on, stop wasting our

time.

LEWIS: And should you link your gas and

electricity bills to the wholesale price of fuel?

But first, millions of homeowners could get a refund from their

mortgage lender after yet another ruling that the financial services

industry has been treating its customers unfairly. This time, the

regulator has told banks and building societies that the fees they charge

people to leave a mortgage deal – so called exit fees – have been

unfairly increased after the mortgage began. Ten years ago exit fees

averaged less than £60. Today, they’re more than £200, forcing

borrowers to pay a much higher fee than they were told about when

they took out the loan. Money Box revealed that the Financial Services

Authority was investigating these charges more than a year ago and last

summer mortgage adviser Danny Lovey told us why he felt the

regulator had to act.

LOVEY: They’re a scandal and people like me are

embarrassed and very irritated when lenders are putting charges up.

What we want to do really is to keep the lenders honest and transparent.

When they move the goalposts when the client is actually in the middle

of a mortgage deal or towards the end of a mortgage deal, they have the

consumer over a barrel and I just think it’s wrong.

LEWIS: Well 6 months on, the FSA has taken

action. Clive Briault is its Head of Retail Markets.

BRIAULT: We’ve told lenders that if over the last

few years they have increased these exit fees by a substantial amount,

then they have to decide whether to reduce the fee back to what it was

originally when the consumer took out the mortgage or alternatively

justify any increase that they’ve imposed. And we believe this will be

of benefit to millions of consumers because in the vast majority of cases

what the lenders will do is bring the fee back to its original level.

LEWIS: What about new customers though?

Does it do anything for them or can a mortgage lender fix the fee at

£500 or £1,000 as long as they then stick to that when the mortgage

comes to an end?

BRIAULT: They have to be absolutely clear about

what their fees are and the basis on which any changes during the life of

a contract could be made.

LEWIS: But it doesn’t have to reflect the actual

cost?

BRIAULT: It doesn’t, no.

LEWIS: But what about the 6 million or so people

who have already remortgaged in the last 5 years, paid those fees.

What should they do?

BRIAULT: Well if those people have paid an exit fee

which they thought was unfairly high because they paid a fee which

was substantially higher than the fee that they thought they would have

to pay when they entered into the mortgage, they should complain to

their former lender.

LEWIS: And they should get the difference back?

BRIAULT: Well unless the lender can justify a

reason for the increase, then they should get the difference back, yes.

LEWIS: And are you telling lenders to find these

people or are they going to have to make a claim?

BRIAULT: We’re not telling lenders that they have to

undertake a review of all of their past business.

LEWIS: But they must have the records. Why

not?

BRIAULT: We don’t have the powers under the

unfair contract terms to instigate a past business review.

LEWIS: Did you ask them? Did you suggest to

them they might do this as part of your negotiations?

BRIAULT: Well clearly, yes we did discuss that with

them …

BRIAULT: … in terms of whether the industry would

be prepared to do that on a voluntary basis …

BRIAULT: … and for something which would cover

the whole of the industry.

LEWIS: They said no?

BRIAULT: Well they certainly didn’t say yes

immediately and I think had we tried to engineer and broke such a

solution, we would have ended up not benefiting millions of consumers

now that probably are entering into a very protracted negotiation which

could have gone on for a long time.

That's fair enough, but what they could have done was publicise it more and maybe issue leaflets to householders and emails and stuff to make more people aware and with exact steps on how to claim - maybe even getting consumer direct invovlved.

An advertising campaign maybe saying something like - call consumer direct now who will tell you how to get the difference back.

But no, the FSA just let the media deal with it.....

My charges claims:

Default removals:

I am in the process of claiming back fees for overlimit and late payment from Capital One. They made a GOGW in a letter of 13th. August, in which they said they had posted 2 cheques to me for £2,454.22, I received one of the cheques on Wednesday (29th. August). As the other cheque has not yet arrived I phoned the court as today is 28 days from the service date. I wanted to find out if Cap One had submitted a defence as they said they intended to do that in their Acknowledgment of Service. I was told that all bank charge claim cases had been stayed. I asked if that was for all cases currently in the courts, I was told yes and I would get a notification in the post. The stay is until the High Court rules on the legality of bank charges in the OFT v Banks test case I have read in these forums that banks have applied for a stay in individual cases, but a blanket stay is going to freeze every case. What do we do now?

Surely the banks aren't pleading poverty I know the credit market is tougher than it was a few weeks ago, but surely the money stays in the banking system and even if it is spent the money finds it's way back into a bank!

I just hope that Cap One have posted the second cheque to me.

Regards CC

Hi callingcard

Its my understanding that the OFT Test Case is only relevant to bank account charge claims, and NOT Credit Card claims. From your post, your charges are for late payment and overlimit. I assume therefore that yours is a credit card claim, which the Court should NOT be staying.

I suggest you ring the Court and make it clear that yours is a claim for Credit Card account charges, and NOT a bank account. My understanding is that they should allow the claim to go ahead - I certainly hope so, as I expect to be filing a claim against Cap One in about 2 weeks, after the LBA has expired - thread is 'JimmyBoy vs Cap One'

Have a read of Zoot's thread here - it should help -

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/111117-stays-info-guidance.html

All the best - adam.

I do my best to be helpful, but at the end of the day I'm not a professional - please seek further advice if you're not sure. On the other hand, if I have helped, please click my scales - thanks ;)

Current Claims (all for friends!) -

Abbey - over £4k - Court claim issued & AQ filed ('Tish vs Abbey'). Alloc'n Hearing 21 Sept - Claim stayed 29/8/07.

Cap One - just under £2k - WON (just over 2k!)('Tish vs Cap One')

Cap One - just under £1000 - WON (just over £1k) Nov 07 (JimmyBoy vs Cap One)

Lloyds TSB - £3.5k - Court claim issued, defence rec'd and AQ filed; Alloc'n hearing 7th Sept Claim stayed 29/8/07! (JimmyBoy vs Lloyds')

MBNA - over £1k for mis-sold PPI - WON - approx £1500(IpswichWitch vs MBNA . . .)

Yes, it is a credit card claim. It's too late to phone the court again today, so it's 10am. Monday. I want to get the default notice on my credit record removed which Cap One have said they won't do. So I want to proceed to judgement anyway. Theyv'e offered most of the money and I will be happy if the other cheque arrives tomorrow (although I might as well see if I can get some more money (Contractual Interest) out of them anyway.

Thanks for letting me know, I was about to start a claim against Abbey, but it's under £200 so not so rewarding as the CC charge refund. Although it's a business account (still open) does that make a difference?

Regards Calling Card

The Banks are actually in a 'no lose'situation....If the test case goes against them,then they will still be allowed a 'small'admin charge for the exceeding OD's etc,and if they have to refund,going back 6 years this 'small charge will then be deducted from whatever claimants are due...BUT then all the Banks will charge All customers a service charge on any account they have and this will raise even more money for them,as free banking comes to an end....all this in the name of PROFIT!!

Thanks for letting me know, I was about to start a claim against Abbey, but it's under £200 so not so rewarding as the CC charge refund. Although it's a business account (still open) does that make a difference?

Regards Calling Card

Hi cc

Not sure about business claims, but I think the 'rules' are different. Most Bank claims are now being stayed, and its not that easy to get stays lifted, except for Abbey claims where they admit breach of contract in their defence, which they, apparently no longer do!

See this for much more info -

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/111571-abbey-court-hearings-important.html

It might help if you started threads for your claim(s) in the relevant forum - that way you'll get more specific advice than on this general forum.

All the best - Adam.

I do my best to be helpful, but at the end of the day I'm not a professional - please seek further advice if you're not sure. On the other hand, if I have helped, please click my scales - thanks ;)

Current Claims (all for friends!) -

Abbey - over £4k - Court claim issued & AQ filed ('Tish vs Abbey'). Alloc'n Hearing 21 Sept - Claim stayed 29/8/07.

Cap One - just under £2k - WON (just over 2k!)('Tish vs Cap One')

Cap One - just under £1000 - WON (just over £1k) Nov 07 (JimmyBoy vs Cap One)

Lloyds TSB - £3.5k - Court claim issued, defence rec'd and AQ filed; Alloc'n hearing 7th Sept Claim stayed 29/8/07! (JimmyBoy vs Lloyds')

MBNA - over £1k for mis-sold PPI - WON - approx £1500(IpswichWitch vs MBNA . . .)