• Tweets

• Good Evening, I've got a fairly simple question but I'll provide some context incase needed. I've pursued a company that has operations in england despite them having no official office anywhere. I've managed to find a site they operate from and the papers there have been defended so I know they operate there. They've filed a defence which is honestly the worst defence ever, and despite being required to provide their witness evidence, they have not and have completely ignored the courts and my request for copies of it. I'm therefore considering applying to strike out their defence on the grounds the defence was rubbish and that they haven't provided any evidence for the trial. However, it has a trial date set for end of june, and a civil application wouldn't get heard until a week before then, so hardly worth it. However, my local court is very good at dealing with paper applications (i.e ones that don't need hearings, and frankly I think they are literally like 1-2 days from when you submit it to when a Judge sees it. I'm wondering if I can apply to strikeout a defence without a hearing OR whether a hearing is required for a strikeout application.   Thanks
    • I have just opened another bank acc with lloyds (i have a few already) After doing some research they may have some relation to tsb or be apart of the same group will this cause me issue if my salary is paid into my lloyds account? Also, if the debts do go into default and nothing is paid then after 6 years it all goes away? As the DCAs cannot do anything? I do want to start paying in like 3/4 months or do you advise I leave it if it goes into default? again sorry for all the questions, i am just processing everything
    • one reply only  follow post 2 of letter of claim <<clickme link. dx
    • Sorry, I got confused  Yes, it states all three   Thanks, 
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Office Of Fair Trading Test Case

Guest Wild Billy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5840 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

----- Original Message -----

To: crfx

Sent: Friday, August 31, 2007 4:49 PM

Subject: RE: Your complaint against the FSA

Dear crfx

With reference to your emailed response of 29 August 2007 to our email of the same date, we note your comments. I can confirm that our assessment of allegation one of your complaint is that you are dissatisfied with the CCC's responses to your enquiries relating to the FSA's decision in principle to grant firms, who apply for it, a waiver from the time limits contained in the FSA's complaints-handling rules in relation to unauthorised overdraft charges. We will investigate all retrievable copies of communications between you and the CCC, in this respect, which would include recordings of telephone calls.

In explaining that we were unable to investigate complaints relating to the actual waiver, we were not attempting to classify your initial enquiry to the CCC as a complaint (in fact, in our email of 29 August, we state: "we note that your original enquiry to the CCC..."), but were just trying to explain what matters we can (and cannot) investigate under the Complaints Scheme in an attempt to manage your expectations. Therefore, to reaffirm, we can and will investigate your complaint relating to the CCC both in relation to allegation one and allegation two (the assessment of which you do not appear to dispute).

With regards to the information you submitted to Clive Briault's office on 24 August 2007, it is standard procedure for correspondence from consumers/non-regulated firms to be passed to the CCC for reply. However, as the CCC was aware that you had raised a complaint with us, it felt it appropriate that we acknowledge receipt of this further information.

We will next contact you on or before 19 September 2007 with an update, which will hopefully constitute our substantive response to your complaint.

Yours sincerely

Craig Drury

Complaints Team

Company Secretariat

The Financial Services Authority

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/Pages/About/complaints

Original Message -----

To: Independent Complaints Scheme

Sent: Friday, August 31, 2007 6:53 PM

Subject: Re: Your complaint against the FSA

Thank you for your e-mail of 31 August.

With regard to allegation one I note that you concede that my original

inquiry to CCC was not a complaint and this therefore renders your unprompted explanation as to your complaints criteria irrelevant.

Your thoughtful attempts to ''manage'' my expectations are really not necessary despite - and judging by the FSA's consistently woeful performance as a financial regulator - your expectation management skills are, I'm sure, of the highest order.

Further Complaint

Your ref: FO10737

I now need to make a further complaint with regard to the FSA's

failure to respond to my FoIA request within the 20 working day

limit.

The FSA is now in breach of the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

The Information Access Dept claims to have sent a response by

e-mail twice today but this is not the case.

crfx

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

----- Original Message -----

To: crfx

Sent: Friday, August 31, 2007 4:49 PM

Subject: RE: Your complaint against the FSA

Dear crfx

With reference to your emailed response of 29 August 2007 to our email of the same date, we note your comments. I can confirm that our assessment of allegation one of your complaint is that you are dissatisfied with the CCC's responses to your enquiries relating to the FSA's decision in principle to grant firms, who apply for it, a waiver from the time limits contained in the FSA's complaints-handling rules in relation to unauthorised overdraft charges. We will investigate all retrievable copies of communications between you and the CCC, in this respect, which would include recordings of telephone calls.

In explaining that we were unable to investigate complaints relating to the actual waiver, we were not attempting to classify your initial enquiry to the CCC as a complaint (in fact, in our email of 29 August, we state: "we note that your original enquiry to the CCC..."), but were just trying to explain what matters we can (and cannot) investigate under the Complaints Scheme in an attempt to manage your expectations. Therefore, to reaffirm, we can and will investigate your complaint relating to the CCC both in relation to allegation one and allegation two (the assessment of which you do not appear to dispute).

With regards to the information you submitted to Clive Briault's office on 24 August 2007, it is standard procedure for correspondence from consumers/non-regulated firms to be passed to the CCC for reply. However, as the CCC was aware that you had raised a complaint with us, it felt it appropriate that we acknowledge receipt of this further information.

We will next contact you on or before 19 September 2007 with an update, which will hopefully constitute our substantive response to your complaint.

Yours sincerely

Craig Drury

Complaints Team

Company Secretariat

The Financial Services Authority

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/Pages/About/complaints

Original Message -----

To: Independent Complaints Scheme

Sent: Friday, August 31, 2007 6:53 PM

Subject: Re: Your complaint against the FSA

Thank you for your e-mail of 31 August.

With regard to allegation one I note that you concede that my original

inquiry to CCC was not a complaint and this therefore renders your unprompted explanation as to your complaints criteria irrelevant.

Your thoughtful attempts to ''manage'' my expectations are really not necessary despite - and judging by the FSA's consistently woeful performance as a financial regulator - your expectation management skills are, I'm sure, of the highest order.

Further Complaint

Your ref: FO10737

I now need to make a further complaint with regard to the FSA's

failure to respond to my FoIA request within the 20 working day

limit.

The FSA is now in breach of the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

The Information Access Dept claims to have sent a response by

e-mail twice today but this is not the case.

crfx

Interesting - what info are you requesting under the FoIA?

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

great, thanks!

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

cfrx- I believe that the FoIA applies to public/government organisations only.

Is the FSA a government body or a private one? I know it was set up by the government, but is it funded by the Banks or the govt?

If it is actually independent of the govt, they may be able to weedle out of your request.

Just a thought, you have my 100% support.

OFT files details of case against unauthorised overdraft charges

126/07 31 August 2007

The OFT has today filed particulars of claim at the High Court on the application of the law in respect of unauthorised overdraft charges, and these documents will be available on the OFT website next week after they have been served on the other parties. The documents relate to the question of whether the fairness test in the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations (UTCCRs) applies to the relevant charges.

The OFT is continuing its financial investigation to determine whether or not unauthorised overdraft charges are fair, based on its view that the fairness test does apply to them. This investigation is due to be completed by the end of the year.

The banks take the view that the charges are not covered by the fairness test in the UTCCRs and the court case at the beginning of 2008 is designed to test this point of law. It will not lead to a judgment as to whether the charges themselves are fair or not. The OFT will decide after the initial judgment what steps to take should it win the test case and conclude from its financial investigation that any of the charges are unfair. The OFT will publish its market study on the current account market in December 2007.

cfrx- I believe that the FoIA applies to public/government organisations only.

Is the FSA a government body or a private one? I know it was set up by the government, but is it funded by the Banks or the govt?

If it is actually independent of the govt, they may be able to weedle out of your request.

Just a thought, you have my 100% support.

The FSA is actually a limited company and is, as you say, funded by the companies it "regulates", but because it works for a the government and is a public agency, it is covered by the FoIA....

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Oh youve just disappeared, (no doubt in a puff of smoke!) ;)

**slaps knee**

(noomill060 will be appearing in "Aladdin" at the South Belfast Knee Breakers Club from December 3rd)

I am hoping we are experiencing the Fairy Godmother affect, when we get the complexities of the case going we receive magic to keep us going:)

• 2 weeks later...

The OFT are thinking of withdrawing the test case:

OFT may compromise on bank fees

By Ian Pollock

Personal finance reporter, BBC News

999999.gif

Lloyds TSB has already changed its overdraft fees

The Office of Fair Trading (OFT) could drop next year's High Court test case over bank overdraft charges, a senior official has said.

But the OFT added it would only do this if the banks put forward an agreeable compromise and if such a deal was in the best interests of customers.

The court is due to decide next year whether the OFT has the power to rule that bank overdraft fees are unfair.

The eight banks challenging the OFT say it has no jurisdiction in the matter.

On Monday, Lloyds TSB became the first of the big High Street banks to cut some of its overdraft fees, after paying out millions of pounds in so-called "goodwill payments" to tens of thousands of unhappy customers.

Lloyds customers - and those of other banks - have claimed that charges levied for running up unauthorised overdrafts are illegal and unfairly high.

Negotiation

Other banks are expected to copy Lloyds example in coming months.

o.gifstart_quote_rb.gif We will be looking out for what is the best outcome for the consumer end_quote_rb.gif

Cavendish Elithorne, OFT

Any such changes will not, on their own, deflect the OFT from its legal action.

But a senior official, Cavendish Elithorne, made it clear that the OFT was open to negotiation on the issue.

"If we do our own financial analysis, and they [the banks] come in with a number that is lower than our analysis would suggest is an unfair charge, there is no need for the court case to go forward," he said.

"We will be looking out for what is the best outcome for the consumer."

But Mr Elithorne did stress that so far there has been no face-to-face negotiation with the banks.

Authority

However, if and when, the judge will not be asked to rule on whether bank charges are legal or fair.

Lee Coward is one of the thousands of customers to sue their banks

Instead the judge will have to decide whether the OFT has the authority to decide the issue itself, under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations.

The OFT believes typical bank overdraft fees come under these regulations, that they are unfair and that it therefore has the power to order changes.

But banks argue that the charges are a core feature of their current account business and so they are not covered by the regulations, they are fair and that the OFT has no powers in the matter.

Agreement

Intriguingly, the OFT revealed that it actually agrees with part of the banks' arguments.

o.gif We think the fairness test will still apply

Cavendish Elithorne, OFT

They claim that their charges are not penalties, but are fees for a service - for running a current account while it is in the red.

"In most instances we would probably agree with the banks' arguments that these are not penalties as defined in common law," said Mr Elithorne.

But he insisted that the OFT Still believes the charges are unfair - even if they are "fees for a service".

"We think the fairness test will still apply," he added.

All these legal arguments will be novel in the UK courts and are clearly of great importance to both sides.

However a final decision may be more than a year away if the case goes to the Appeal Court and then the House of Lords.

No more free banking?

With the OFT two-thirds of the way through a nine-month investigation into the fairness of overdraft charges, banks are now giving the watchdog their own estimates of how much it costs to run an account in the red and to bounce cheques.

o.gif It may be that some banks may charge some customers an annual fee

Cavendish Elithorne

The regulator is about to do its own number crunching to establish what level of charges it believes are unfair.

However, it estimates that fees and charges for going overdrawn without permission bring in between £2bn and £3.5bn a year to the UK banking industry's revenue.

The OFT has denied that the case could lead to the reintroduction of monthly or annual account charges; the end of so-called "free banking" for those whose accounts stay in credit.

"It may be that some banks may charge some customers an annual fee," said Mr Elithorne. But he pointed out that in contrast to the fees earned from charging for overdrafts, a standard charge of £300 a year, applied to the country's 75 million current accounts, would generate an extra £20bn or so in income for the banks. "I believe that if the banks tried to extend such charges much more broadly that some other banks would continue to compete quite vigorously to keep free banking," said Mr Elithorne.

My charges claims:

Default removals:

"Agreement

Intriguingly, the OFT revealed that it actually agrees with part of the banks' arguments.

Cavendish Elithorne, OFT

They claim that their charges are not penalties, but are fees for a service - for running a current account while it is in the red.

"In most instances we would probably agree with the banks' arguments that these are not penalties as defined in common law," said Mr Elithorne."

Funny that- bank's T&Cs describe them as penalties!

"Agreement

Cavendish Elithorne, OFT

"In most instances we would probably agree with the banks' arguments that these are not penalties as defined in common law," said Mr Elithorne."

Funny that- bank's T&Cs describe them as penalties!

lol, tell me about it!!

A wee bit of Fraud there?

My charges claims:

Default removals:

“ “ link to full page

The Institute of Economic Affairs’ 6th Annual Conference

BUSINESS BANKING AND FINANCIAL SERVICES

Service, Customers, Growth: fresh thinking for the business banking sector

Conference Programme

Monday 19th November 2007

10.40 An Interview with the OFT

Cavendish Elithorn, Senior Director, Service Sectors, Office of Fair Trading

Interviewed by

Angela Knight, Chief Executive, British Bankers Association:o

11.10 Questions

Anyone?

Els

“ “ link to full page

The Institute of Economic Affairs’ 6th Annual Conference

BUSINESS BANKING AND FINANCIAL SERVICES

Service, Customers, Growth: fresh thinking for the business banking sector

Conference Programme

Monday 19th November 2007

10.40 An Interview with the OFT

Cavendish Elithorn, Senior Director, Service Sectors, Office of Fair Trading

Interviewed by

Angela Knight, Chief Executive, British Bankers Association:o

11.10 Questions

Anyone?

Els

Yeah, what the hell is going on?? What happened to the "Fair" trading bit in OFT? This is another "condition of society" we need exposed. Lets get panorama onto this one, I reckon they could get a whole series on the exploits of the British Banking Association, FSA , FOS and the Banks all against the consumer. No wonder the emigration rate in this country is so high.

27th April - Requested Statements

13th May - Received Statements:D

15th May - Preliminary request for £4780 sent.:D

16th May - Royal Mail confirm Letter received.:D

23rd May - Received Letter considering claim. :grin:

30th May - Letter Before Action sent. :D

10th July - Times Up!! FOS claim going in.

16th July - Measly 30% of claim offered as goodwill

17th July - Rejected offer letter sent

25th July - Acknowledgement of Reject Letter received

26th July - Screwed over by the OFT,Banks, FSA & FOS all in one go.:evil:

Never even felt it happen.

Hi All

Quote from un1boy's post above -

" . . . . Any such changes will not, on their own, deflect the OFT from its legal action.

But a senior official, Cavendish Elithorne, made it clear that the OFT was open to negotiation on the issue.

"If we do our own financial analysis, and they [the banks] come in with a number that is lower than our analysis would suggest is an unfair charge, there is no need for the court case to go forward," he said.

"We will be looking out for what is the best outcome for the consumer."

But Mr Elithorne did stress that so far there has been no face-to-face negotiation with the banks. . . ."

I, for one, would be quite happy with a compromise solution, as this would presumably save a great deal of time compared with the Court process, but there would, IMO, have to be many conditions attached for it to be fair to all -

a) The 'fair' level of charge would have to be set at no more than the £3 already accepted in Ireland.

b) The banks would have to accept the need to repay, WITHOUT Court action and in direct response to a properly structured request, the 'unfair' element of previously levied charges (but see d) below).

c) There should be NO 6 year limit on the time span over which one can reclaim - if a charge was too high up to 6 years ago, it was equally too high more than 6 years ago!

d) As part of the repayment process, the banks should accept the need to repay the FULL AMMOUNT of charges levied (and interest charged) calculated from the point in time where, had it not been for the previously levied unfair element of charges applied, the account would not have been in overdraft and would not, therefore, have incurred any charges (or interest) at all.

All of that is my opinion only, of course, and there is very likely to be other conditions that would be equally relevant. I would be very interested to see what others think!

All the best - Adam.

I do my best to be helpful, but at the end of the day I'm not a professional - please seek further advice if you're not sure. On the other hand, if I have helped, please click my scales - thanks ;)

Current Claims (all for friends!) -

Abbey - over £4k - Court claim issued & AQ filed ('Tish vs Abbey'). Alloc'n Hearing 21 Sept - Claim stayed 29/8/07.

Cap One - just under £2k - WON (just over 2k!)('Tish vs Cap One')

Cap One - just under £1000 - WON (just over £1k) Nov 07 (JimmyBoy vs Cap One)

Lloyds TSB - £3.5k - Court claim issued, defence rec'd and AQ filed; Alloc'n hearing 7th Sept Claim stayed 29/8/07! (JimmyBoy vs Lloyds')

MBNA - over £1k for mis-sold PPI - WON - approx £1500(IpswichWitch vs MBNA . . .)

I think ur right Adam - the thing is, no one is saying that bank's should be able to charge - everyone is realistic and in the light of the highly automated industry, we all feel that if they charges something like £3 that would be ok - even if it costs them nothing.....

I made a bak account program and let me tell u everything is done automatically - it looks at the account balance, if it is below it adds the charge (which i can set to £1 or 1 million). It then checks it whenever I want it to, or the next day and applied the charge again!

My charges claims:

Default removals:

I got a £7.50 charge for a late payment of a BT phone bill - that's no different!

I agree. I also think that them charging people who don't pay by DD is the same too.....I think it's time these companies were sorted out!

It's scandalous. The cost of providing the service should be borne by the company - their prices should cover their costs.

So, are we going to get invoices soon from shops to pay part of their electricity bills, staff wages and shipping costs?

My charges claims:

Default removals: