DVLA gave the council my details

rodgethedodge
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6153 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I got a letter a few days ago from Herts Highways Department saying that I was liable for damage to road signs and a lamp post over a year ago. Obviously I would have remembered having an accident of that size so I set about trying to find out who got it wrong.

1. Ring the council - I get an apathetic woman who says things like "you must have loaned your vehicle to someone" and "the police told us it was you". So I tell her that I can prove that my car was in a car park 25 miles away at the time and ask who in the police force gave them the information. She refuses, quoting the data protection act. Idiot.

2. Ring the police - not too difficult to get through to someone intelligent as the Herts force run a "collisions department". Discover that a bloody great white van (with a registration similar to my small black car) has taken out a chunk of barrier and signage on the A505. The police supplied the correct plate, make, model, colour and driver name to the council, so it's not their fault.

Conclusion - the council have:

• Misread the number plate and got one letter wrong
  • Didn't think to recheck the plate with the police
  • Asked DVLA for the details on the wrong plate and get mine
  • Write to me accusing me of liability even though the name, vehicle make, model colour and driver name are completely different.

The reason this gives me the hump is that the DVLA have handed out my personal details without verification and this would never have happened otherwise.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I have any cause for complaint? The council are already in hand but I don't think the DVLA should get away with it.

Any advice much appreciated.

cant see that the dvla have done anything wrong

if they are asked for details, right or wrong, it is not their job to investigate if you did or did not commit the alleged offence before they release the info surely?

dx100uk

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Actually, ANYONE can request your details from the DVLA on payment of the appropriate fee. All I need is your registration number, and a declaration to the DVLA that I have a legitimate reason for requesting it.

Thanks for replying - that what I feared.

However, there should be some bloody control or audit over what the details are used for - as confirmed, any muppet can give the DVLA a number plate and get back name, address, DOB, etc, etc

Massive scope for abuse and incompetence - sad reflection on current state of affairs, me thinks. :-x