• Tweets

• Well I wouldn't have known if my Booking.com listing owning friend hadn't come up trumps - so really the thanks should go to him. Anyway, glad it all worked out OK and you don't have to kip in the local bus station waiting room 😉
    • TV debate coach who helped Rishi Sunak given £110,000 taxpayer-funded contract - Mirror Online WWW.MIRROR.CO.UK Graham Davies, who calls himself 'the Presentation Coach', has been drafted in to help ministers improve their public speaking. He previously coached...  
    • Hi Dave. This morning I had another message from the owner, saying she's rung Booking.com again to ask them to sort the cancellation. And I just took a call from what looks like Booking.com's UK number. They offered us alternative accommodation but I had already found something on the Booking.com site two days ago. So we aren't homeless next weekend and Booking.com said we can invoice them after our stay finishes, so they can refund us the difference in cost between the original booking and the new one. Without your information on how property owners deal with Booking.com, I'm not sure the owner lady would have sorted this, so a big thank you from us. HB PS An email has just arrived from Booking.com. They confirm that the payment due won't be taken from my card - this was a concern obviously. I checked both my cards yesterday and I didn't make a payment from either of them when I booked. I couldn't remember when the problem happened because I made the booking a while back.
    • It's not for exactly £300 I just rounded the figure l. I don't know why I didn't respond to previous letter I suppose I thought If I ignored it it would go away.    I have uploaded all the docs I can find, I have defended the claim and will get a CPR sent to Morality Law today.    Claim Form.pdf
    • So as predicted relieved dq from Overdale.  Checked MCOL transaction history. Last entry is defence received.  Am I reading that correctly?   my understanding is I I ignore and wait for courts to send one they have also ticked mediation box. Not sure what can be mediated. He is unemployed 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Burke vs Alliance & Leicester

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6157 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi there...

could i please leave a message for

the very friendly squarebob information desk,

sorry but its me again - alice ...

could you please kindly let me know what rate of interest i should be charging on my current account charges from 2001 - 2007

should this be 17% or 8%, as I am just amending my form.

many thanks squarebob.

alice x

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why wait? I know some people say stick to the timescales, but whose? Yours or theirs! No, you set the timescales, after all it is you who is asking for your money back, if it was them, they'd be soon dipping into your bank account.

Time will still drag, so why prolong the agony.

I may be wrong, but I think I've read somewhere that someone's case was struck out when they filed court proceedings "too early", i.e without allowing 28 days between sending their first letter requesting a refund of their charges and starting court proceedings. It may therefore be a good idea to stick to the timescales recommended on the forums.

A-Z CAG links to all documents you'll need for

your claim

(Thanks to Michael Brown for all his efforts)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Sounds pretty petty to me, smacks of the old Ironside, it's not us who is on trial. Now you have got me checking my timescales, I never even bothered with an L.B.A just borrowed the money and filed my NI. Surely this is the sort of thing one would expect at the Old Bailey, slippery gits are'nt they!

Some one once mentioned that the enemy look in at all the messages posted on the various sites just to try and keep one jump ahead of, so to them :razz: .

And finally a message to dear Alice,

17.08% will do nicely for the current account. The Premier account is less, 7.9%. Wragges in their defence will say you are not entitled to this, there is a thread somewhere that says you are, and why.

I have spent the past two days sifting and wading through the mountains of paperwork created by everybody who is making a claim and trying to sort the good from the bad. As the banks get cuter, so have we.

One last, quick message, having spent the past two days trawling through the different messages posted on this (the main) and other sites. There seems to be no exact timescales when dealing with the A&L. Some people get dealt with quickly, others get decent offers without even getting as far as filing a claim, yet others get left in limbo. In my case I was expecting things to drag quite a bit as every one said they were snowed under, so that was probably why I moved as fast as I did. My timescales were as follows: S.A.R request sent 9.3.07. Statements received 24.4.07. Letter sent asking for my money back on the 1st of May. Filed NI 24.5.07 and deemed served by the 26th. Letter from Wragges recieived on the 4th of June and their defence arrived on the 14th of June, signed by a Partner, not a trainee. And on the 18th I received my AQ from court which will be duly filled in and sent by next week. In between times I received an offer from A&L for a paltry sum, but this was only on one account. The rejection letter was duly sent, but the only other letter received from A&L was one to inform me that a 'lost' cheque had been presented (£14.98) and they had not paid it, instead they had charged me £34.00 plus another £25.00 to be taken out on the 29th of June plus interest. And Wragges have the cheek to say any charges incurred after the 24th of May to be struck out! It looks to me as if this case will go all the way, and knowing my luck, they ain't going to roll over.

Sounds pretty petty to me, smacks of the old Ironside, it's not us who is on trial. Now you have got me checking my timescales, I never even bothered with an L.B.A just borrowed the money and filed my NI. Surely this is the sort of thing one would expect at the Old Bailey, slippery gits are'nt they!

Some one once mentioned that the enemy look in at all the messages posted on the various sites just to try and keep one jump ahead of, so to them :razz: .

I reckon it's best to err on the side of caution ... if there are timescales we're advised to keep to, they're there for a reason.

Yep, someone on this side told me A&L/Wragge were seen with a printout from this site and they do indeed look in to have a good read and a good ol' chuckle no doubt:rolleyes:

A-Z CAG links to all documents you'll need for

your claim

(Thanks to Michael Brown for all his efforts)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Well Mimi,

When you think about things these claims have been going on for some time and Wragges and everbody else's legal bods must be getting their act together. After all everyone uses the same type of paperwork quoting the same rules and regs etc. In my defence document from Wragges they quote the following; As to any allegation (if any) that these charges are unenforceable under the Unfair Contract terms Act 1977, the charges are administrative fees levied by agreement in the circumstances set out above. As such, the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 has no application to these charges.

The terms are not in any any event unreasonable in relation to the service in question.

There's a nice paragraph regarding the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts regulations 1999. Basically saying that as there is no significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations arising under the contract to the detriment of the claimant. In consequence, by reason of section 5 they are not unenforceable.

So it's up to us to prove otherwise. If not, then what are the consumer laws for? :)

I'm seeing double, so I'm going to chill out with a nice glass of

juniper berry.

Wow, so many knowledgable people out there. Thank you to each an everyone of you for giving me your views, on whether to proceed now or to wait the 14 days.

Squarebob I appreciate what you say, yes if it was us owing them money then they would be taking it straight away and wouldnt wait til I said ok I can afford for you to have it now, but as this isnt my bank account its my husbands (and im a total chicken) i think im going to err on the side of caution and wait the 14 days before moving to the next stage.

I will return very shortly to partake of all your wise wisdom, because you just know as this moves further one I will have more questions, and this is only the easy bit.:oops:

What I find slightly annoying about the forum being monitored is that they can see when something they do makes a claimant 'wobble'! And I have witnessed a fair amount of wobbling just recently.

Admittedly, this has mostly been as a result of financial difficulty for the claimant and the immediate need for the money far outweighs the principle of getting all their money back. In those circumstances who can blame them for settling for a lesser amount? I know I don't.

But I, for one, would hate to see a knock on effect of others settling just cos it's 'easier' - this will have a diluting effect on what the CAG site has spent a great deal of time achieving.

CAG members have never made a secret of their usage of the site, (there are envelope stickers and all sorts available!), so let anyone who wishes to, go ahead and monitor the site - there is nothing to hide.

But please, everyone, let's stay strong and show these geezers that no matter what they throw in the way or however long they try to draw things out, they'll not deter people from claiming back what is rightfully theirs! :cool:

Why wait? I know some people say stick to the timescales, but whose? Yours or theirs! No, you set the timescales, after all it is you who is asking for your money back, if it was them, they'd be soon dipping into your bank account.

Time will still drag, so why prolong the agony.

I did not say stick to their timetable - if they dont reply you just go ahead with the dates in your letters thats all. If they reply saying they need 8 weeks to look into your claim then of course you would ignore it - as in the letters they have dedicated departments to deal with this. I am no expert just at the same stage as you -I am just using this site for guidance and trusting the information- otherwise I would not be here

best of luck

Jansus.

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Hi All

Ive now finally received my statements and am starting this process with my bank.

Quick question ... I keep seeing Debit interest charges on statements some as high as 10quid, should I be including these on my spreadsheets does anyone know?

Right from Wobbles post upward.

Debit Interest Charges is a new one on me, I have checked my statements and TLC's but cannot find any mention of them. but it looks like something to be claimed for. Hopefully some one will know just what they are.

Put them down any way. You can always change things if they are not something you can ask back.

Next post, Jansus.

It's all a waiting game - 'bit like poker' - see who's nerve breaks first.

It took a lot of people a lotta bottle to start the process of claiming their money back in the first place. First there was the 40 days for the S.A.R. then 14 days for the Pre-Lim letter, then a further 7 days for the L.B.A. No wonder everyone is getting so cheesed off. Decent thing for A&L and the rest to do, is sort the 'Wheat from the Chaff' and settle up. Instead they are dragging their heels in the hope that some miracle is going save them. I think we are all wanting things to move faster, just in case we have a door shut in our faces. So the answer here is to just 'Chill' take our time, and let nature take its course! :)

Next on the list, 'Young and Free' (Reminds me of my 'Hippy Days').

You are dead right in what you say. I got the wobbles when Lloyds won their first case. But once the mist had cleared from my eyes, I thought, so what, I have nothing (left) to lose, but everything to gain, so I plunged right in. I've already mentioned how there is no consistency with A&L and their legal advisors, and their response to us. One person gets dealt with one way, while another gets put on the back burner, one gets an offer in thousands while another gets an offer in hundreds or less. Some say there is a backlog and they don't know what they are doing, not in my case!. Filed on the 24th of May, acknowledged on the 4th of June, defence papers served on the 14th June, A.Q received on the 19th of June and they filed their copy on the 20th. To me, my case seems like sliding down a hill, it's as if they have something up their sleeve! So here's where the 'Wobbles' could have slipped in, but I thought no, you can only hang a person once, let battle commence, what's the worse that can happen?

Yes, it may have been easier for those that have claimed before us. But no matter how hard it gets, or how many tricks get pulled out of the bag, we should be All able to achieve the same goals. So lets all stick together and stay strong no matter what gets thrown at us.

Last post for Wobbles 5063.

You are right, 'Patience' is the key to success.

Aren't you good claiming for hubby, you should make him sweat a bit by letting him do his own claim, but that's it isn't it! us males are just not patient enough to let nature take its course.

I'm off to chase the cat around the garden.

Hi Squarebob

Thats my problem you see im just too damn good to my husband ... its gonna cost him a nice big fat family holiday if I manage to get his money. Id say he could take us to the states but he has been working there since Feb so dont think the USA is gonna be somewhere he will wanna go for a while.

I should point out the Debit Interest I mentioned is appearing on my statements im with YB, also have a thread on here for that. (very dirty players .. send your statements extremely late, copied back to back so dates dont run in sync, one min your looking at Feb charges, then it switches to March and then on the back of March is Feb again ... talk about a major headache). In fact they have p****d me off so much i think im gonna add it into my spreadsheets and see what happens, lets face it whats the worst that can happen they tell me to bog off.

In the meantime If anyone out there knows anything about Debit Interest I would like to hear from you as to whether or not this can be claimed for.

Hope the cat survived the Chase!

Wobbles

Hi Squarebob, really hope you are there, I need your help.

I went to your little link the one you sent me when I was doing my husbands Prelim letter the one where it works out how much interest they owe you and that worked fine when I was doing his. Ive now come to do the same with my account and I aint sure if its right.

I checked on that site you gave me and the unauthorised o/d fee is 29.08% so filled that in, in the little box at the top right hand corner entered all my charges for each month which is just over 1400 and then looked at the bottom to see how much i enter in the plus XXX box on Prelim letter and its worked it out at something like 4grand!!!!!!! HELP!!!!! have I done something really stupid or is it that im using the wrong percentage.

Wobbles

Oh Wobbles,

Contractual Interest really does work miracles, that's why the banks don't want anything to do with it. You're worried about your amount, some one posted recently that their charges were £5,000 but the interest pushed it to nearer £13,000 ouch!

When I did not not know what interest rate to apply, I used 28% and nearly fell of the cat!

So don't worry, just grin like the Cheshire Cat.

Squarebob, thank you for coming back to me so quickly ... im getting very scared at the thought of putting these figures on the Prelim letter.

My letter is going to read charges: 1431.00, Interest: 4611.12 TOTAL: 6042.12 :o :o :o :o !?!?!?!?! This just seems to be so much, going by hubby's Prelim letter I was expecting about the same as him back, just over 2 grand.

So you would put these figures in the Prelim letter? Im extremely scared now.

Wobbles

Well Wobbles, you really have got the Wobbles now!

I experimented with my one of my spreadsheets, as my claim was for £1,700, I changed my original 7.63% for your 29.8%, it made quite a difference, but not as much as yours, the reason for this was that my charges never started until 2003 and then it was only in dribs and dabs. In your case it looks as if you are starting from 6 years back, and that is where the difference lies.

Do not worry too much about putting that much interest down in the Pre-lim letter, after all it is 'Their' rate of interest, and not something you have just pulled out of a hat. I don't know which Pre-lim template you will be using, but in mine (from the reclaimunfaircharges.co website), there was a paragraph which went; Currently you apply interest at the rate of --% APR for unauthorised borrowing. I have applied the same rate to my request in accordance to consumer contract legislation, as you have unlawfully applied penalty charges that you had no right to, which therfore amounts to unauthorised borrowing of my money.

Hope this calms you down a bit!

Oh yes that set of figures certainly made me live up to my name, was wobbling all over the place, its ok now though im calm again ... I never guessed this would be so stressful. Thank heaven for people like you, I really appreciate all your help.

I dont know what I done earlier but i have had another play around with the spreadsheet and the reason for my being a lot more calm is that the figures are starting to look a lot more like I was expecting. I will have another go when I get home just to double check, very hard trying to fill in spreadsheets from your work computer with your boss breathing over your shoulder (im sure she knows im not working).

I still used the same percentage and now its coming out as interest 1786.08 with a total of 3217.08, this figure seems more like what it should be.

Will report back once ive had another look at home.

Wobbles

Oh yes that set of figures certainly made me live up to my name, was wobbling all over the place, its ok now though im calm again ... I never guessed this would be so stressful. Thank heaven for people like you, I really appreciate all your help.

Crikey - after worrying one other A&L person I am reluctant to ask this - I know that square bob has done his research ( on looking at his thread ) and has decided to claim CI - just making sure you have read all the information on this on the site - there is one big thread on "why is no one claiming CI "

I know several people have won including the CI - but in some cases a precedent case has been used to reject this part of the claim only.

I just wanted to make sure you had considered all the information in this respect - not offering an opinion at all.

( I will probably regret not claiming it!:D )

Jansus

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Hi Jansus

Oh dear Wobbles is starting to wobble very badly again having read your comments. My head is totally messed with all this.

The more I read the more my head spins. I really dont get any of this interest business, as I think I stated in a previous thread, Maths and me forget it. I have just read though the thread you mentioned 'why is no one claiming CI interest' and that has totally confused :confused: and messed my head more.

I really dont know what to do for the best. To be honest id be happy just to get the charges back plus a little interest, we would get a holiday out of it at least.

Wobbles

Hi Squarebob

Im using the Prelim letter from this site. I have totally had enough of this, its every night im doing this, either reading threads, or re-checking what I have done, my head is gonna explode before I get anywhere near a court date.

I dont know how but somehow I have two spreadsheets which when you first look at them look identical, (the second spreadsheet being the one I said id used earlier and felt more comfortable with the figures), but I dont know where I got the spreadsheet from.

From reading Jansus response if I have got this right I can put the CI on but it dont necessarily mean im gonna get it, it could be rejected?

I think I need a lay down in a dark room, this is all too much.:confused::(:confused::(

Wobbles

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Hi try the link above it might help

At this stage if you are doing the preliminary letter you only have to think about 1)is your schedule correct- and 2)do you want to claim CI

the 8% comes later at the court claim stage.

I know its confusing but complete one stage at a time and then read up about the next - read the step by step instructions again (under FAQ)

The decision about CI has to be yours - and some people have won it- It is just worth reading the threads about that only before you make your decision and then move on and dont look back and say "what if"

Jansus:)

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE