• Tweets

• Thanks for that. I will give them till Tuesday. Thanks for your help, very much appreciated. 
    • Ok thanks for that, well spotted and all duly noted. Yes they did eventually submit those docs to me after a second letter advising them I was contacting the ICO to make a formal complaint for failing to comply with an earlier SAR that they brushed off as an "administrative error" or something. When I sent the letter telling them I was in contact with the information commissioner to lodge the complaint, the original PCN etc quickly followed along with their excuse!
    • its not about the migrants .. Barrister Helena Kennedy warns that the Conservatives will use their victory over Rwanda to dismantle the law that protects our human rights here in the UK.   Angela Rayner made fun of Rishi Sunak’s height in a fiery exchange at Prime Minister’s Questions, which prompted Joe Murphy to ask: just how low will Labour go? .. well .. not as low as sunak 
    • From #38 where you wrote the following, all in the 3rd person so we don't know which party is you. When you sy it was your family home, was that before or after? " A FH split to create 2 Leasehold adjoining houses (terrace) FH remains under original ownership and 1 Leasehold house sold on 100y+ lease. . Freeholder resides in the other Leasehold house. The property was originally resided in as one house by Freeholder"
    • The property was our family home.  A fixed low rate btl/ development loan was given (last century!). It was derelict. Did it up/ was rented out for a while.  Then moved in/out over the years (mostly around school)  It was a mix of rental and family home. The ad-hoc rents covered the loan amply.  Nowadays  banks don't allow such a mix.  (I have written this before.) Problems started when the lease was extended and needed to re-mortgage to cover the expense.  Wanted another btl.  Got a tenant in situ. Was located elsewhere (work). A broker found a btl lender, they reneged.  Broker didn't find another btl loan.  The tenant was paying enough to cover the proposed annual btl mortgage in 4 months. The broker gave up trying to find another.  I ended up on a bridge and this disastrous path.  (I have raised previous issues about the broker) Not sure what you mean by 'split'.  The property was always leasehold with a separate freeholder  The freeholder eventually sold the fh to another entity by private agreement (the trust) but it's always been separate.  That's quite normal.  One can't merge titles - unless lease runs out/ is forfeited and new one is not created/ granted. The bridge lender had a special condition in loan offer - their own lawyer had to check title first.  Check that lease wasn't onerous and there was nothing that would affect good saleability.  The lawyer (that got sacked for dishonesty) signed off the loan on the basis the lease and title was good and clean.  The same law firm then tried to complain the lease clauses were onerous and the lease too short, even though the loan was to cover a 90y lease extension!! 
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

DVLA - SORN fine

BreadAndButter
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4035 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a similar problem, the scrap merchants are supposed to alert the DVLA too, but they didn't. I quite happily appeared in court twice and the county court judge ruled in my favour. The moral is - don't be afraid of the court system, the DVLA are just out to make money, and also be prepared - heres my defence:

The DVLA has issued me with a “penalty” for allegedly not registering my vehicle as SORN.

Notwithstanding the fact that I advised the DVLA of the vehicles status, being taken by a salvage company for monies owed, but by virtue of the fact that the DVLA method of trial is a computer database and the postal system, I consider that the DVLA is acting Ultra Vires by attempting to extort monies from me without due legal process, as is my right under article 6 of the human rights convention and under the Bill of rights 1689. The DVLA is not a Court of Law nor is it a competent authority for the following reasons:

Article 6 of the given European Convention on Human Rights provides that -

"In the determination of his civil rights and obligations or of any criminal charge against him, everyone is entitled to a fair and public hearing within a reasonable time by an independent and impartial tribunal established by law. Judgment shall be pronounced publicly but the press and public may be excluded from all or part of the trial in the interests of morals, public order or national security in a democratic society, where the interests of juveniles or the protection of the private life of the parties so require, or to the extent strictly necessary in the opinion of the court in special circumstances where publicity would prejudice the interests of justice."

The said appeals service offered by the said DVLA is not established in accordance with law, as required by the said Article 6 of the European Convention on Human Rights -

in that:

The basic laws of the United Kingdom as provided within the Common Law of the Kingdom of England with the Principality of Wales and the province of Northern Ireland, and as further enacted by the Crown and Parliament of the United Kingdom to the purpose of establishing and preserving the Civil Liberties of all people living within the territories of the United Kingdom –

which Common Law may not be repealed and which Statute Law remains un-repealed -

have been and are now being violated by the provisions of such enactment as now claims to provide lawful authority for the existence and conduct of the DVLA, but which fails to provide any such lawful authority, because of the given violations to Constitutional Laws and Provisions which retain the force of law.

In evidence of the submission given, a full reference is made to the text of the Common Law Charter of King Henry III, dated 1225 (the existence of which Charter is now evidenced by the text of the 1297 enactment of King Edward I and his parliament), and a further full reference is made to the several texts of the Declaration & Bill of Rights (variously dated February & December of 1689) –

which latter documents now serve to define and restrict the powers of the Crown in Parliament, to the purpose of preserving Peaceful Government under the Rule of Law,

Article 234 (formerly Article 177), of the Treaty establishing the legal entity that is now known as the European Union now provides -

• that the European Court of Justice shall have jurisdiction to
    give preliminary rulings concerning -

(a) the interpretation of the Treaty;

(b) the validity and interpretation of acts (entered into) by the
    institutions of the Community and/or by the European Bank;

© the interpretation of the statutes of bodies established by an
    act of the Council, where those statutes so provide.

• Where such a question is raised before any court or tribunal
    of a Member State, that court or tribunal may, if it considers
    that a decision on the question is necessary to enable it to
    give judgment, request the Court of Justice to give a ruling
    thereon.

• Where any such question is raised in a case pending before
    a court or tribunal of a Member State against whose decis-
    ions there is no judicial remedy under national law, that court
    or tribunal shall bring the matter before the Court of Justice.

Magna Carta of 1225, confirmed by the Statute of 1297.

"We will not pass upon him, nor [condemn him], but by lawful judgment of his peers, or by the Law of the Land."

I contend that the clear option as to method of trial is an option that belongs to me as my property, and that title to this property is confirmed by the Confirmation of Liberties given in Magna Carta-

"We have granted also, and given to all the Freemen of our Realm, for Us and our Heirs for ever, these Liberties underwritten, to have and to hold to them and their Heirs, of Us and our Heirs for ever"

I also contend that the substantive law relevant to this hearing is further declared by the provisions of the Declaration of Rights and further secured by the Bill of Rights subsequently enacted -

"That all grants and promises of fines and forfeitures of particular persons before conviction are illegal and void"

As such, I do not recognise the DVLA’s authority to issue penalties/fines nor have I had a trial within a competent criminal Court to find guilt under a section 31A offence of not procuring a vehicle licence. Should the DVLA insist on pursuing this unlawful course of action, then I request that you refer the matter to the European Court of Justice under article 234.

Hope that helps you out, it sorted out the case in my favour.

Danny

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Jenna1 - but that is rubbish, ring up a couple of county courts and they have a massive list of DVLA cases, if you call the bulk processing centre, the last one was registered today.

If, as you say bailiffs are coming out, well they can f**k off as there is no court order and, as it says on the registration certificate: A 'fine' will be issued. Not a supplementary charge, as it states in the road traffic act. If the supplementary charge was the case, an invoice would come out to the person with a vehicle. Then a county court case. The government cannot send out bailiffs on a whim - if they could, we would all have blown up the houses of parliament and had a revolution.

Jenna1 you are mistaken

Dani

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Hiya - have you tried my template letter with them?

The DVLA has issued me with a “penalty” for allegedly not registering my vehicle as SORN.

Notwithstanding the fact that I advised the DVLA of the vehicles status, being taken by a salvage company for monies owed, but by virtue of the fact that the DVLA method of trial is a computer database and the postal system, I consider that the DVLA is acting Ultra Vires by attempting to extort monies from me without due legal process, as is my right under article 6 of the human rights convention and under the Bill of rights 1689. The DVLA is not a Court of Law nor is it a competent authority for the following reasons:

Article 6 of the given European Convention on Human Rights provides that -

"In the determination of his civil rights and obligations or of any criminal charge against him, everyone is entitled to a fair and public hearing within a reasonable time by an independent and impartial tribunal established by law. Judgment shall be pronounced publicly but the press and public may be excluded from all or part of the trial in the interests of morals, public order or national security in a democratic society, where the interests of juveniles or the protection of the private life of the parties so require, or to the extent strictly necessary in the opinion of the court in special circumstances where publicity would prejudice the interests of justice."

The said appeals service offered by the said DVLA is not established in accordance with law, as required by the said Article 6 of the European Convention on Human Rights -

in that:

The basic laws of the United Kingdom as provided within the Common Law of the Kingdom of England with the Principality of Wales and the province of Northern Ireland, and as further enacted by the Crown and Parliament of the United Kingdom to the purpose of establishing and preserving the Civil Liberties of all people living within the territories of the United Kingdom –

which Common Law may not be repealed and which Statute Law remains un-repealed -

have been and are now being violated by the provisions of such enactment as now claims to provide lawful authority for the existence and conduct of the DVLA, but which fails to provide any such lawful authority, because of the given violations to Constitutional Laws and Provisions which retain the force of law.

In evidence of the submission given, a full reference is made to the text of the Common Law Charter of King Henry III, dated 1225 (the existence of which Charter is now evidenced by the text of the 1297 enactment of King Edward I and his parliament), and a further full reference is made to the several texts of the Declaration & Bill of Rights (variously dated February & December of 1689) –

which latter documents now serve to define and restrict the powers of the Crown in Parliament, to the purpose of preserving Peaceful Government under the Rule of Law,

Article 234 (formerly Article 177), of the Treaty establishing the legal entity that is now known as the European Union now provides -

• that the European Court of Justice shall have jurisdiction to
    give preliminary rulings concerning -

(a) the interpretation of the Treaty;

(b) the validity and interpretation of acts (entered into) by the
    institutions of the Community and/or by the European Bank;

© the interpretation of the statutes of bodies established by an
    act of the Council, where those statutes so provide.

• Where such a question is raised before any court or tribunal
    of a Member State, that court or tribunal may, if it considers
    that a decision on the question is necessary to enable it to
    give judgment, request the Court of Justice to give a ruling
    thereon.

• Where any such question is raised in a case pending before
    a court or tribunal of a Member State against whose decis-
    ions there is no judicial remedy under national law, that court
    or tribunal shall bring the matter before the Court of Justice.

Magna Carta of 1225, confirmed by the Statute of 1297.

"We will not pass upon him, nor [condemn him], but by lawful judgment of his peers, or by the Law of the Land."

I contend that the clear option as to method of trial is an option that belongs to me as my property, and that title to this property is confirmed by the Confirmation of Liberties given in Magna Carta-

"We have granted also, and given to all the Freemen of our Realm, for Us and our Heirs for ever, these Liberties underwritten, to have and to hold to them and their Heirs, of Us and our Heirs for ever"

I also contend that the substantive law relevant to this hearing is further declared by the provisions of the Declaration of Rights and further secured by the Bill of Rights subsequently enacted -

"That all grants and promises of fines and forfeitures of particular persons before conviction are illegal and void"

As such, I do not recognise the DVLA’s authority to issue penalties/fines nor have I had a trial within a competent criminal Court to find guilt under a section 31A offence of not procuring a vehicle licence. Should the DVLA insist on pursuing this unlawful course of action, then I request that you refer the matter to the European Court of Justice under article 234.

It works for most people

Dani

lol - my fee is more than the fine, the best thing for you to do is pop into the local library and read up on the laws I mentioned. Just looking online doesn't work as there is a lot of information there which isn't totally accurate. I have a subscription to the Law Society to read cases which have occurred, but it is expensive - so I would advise against joining as when you win against the DVLA (not if but when), they won't reimburse those costs.

Trust me, a day looking through the law in a library is an eye-opener and will probably help you in any future legal disputes. It is a bit hard to find the exact information you need from the library, but is worth the search.

Dani

You can SORN your car on line and you don't need the tax reminder.

Go to: DVLA Online Vehicle Licensing | Home

Enter the document ref number on your V5C and the registration number.

The SORN is immediate and you have an e-mail to confirm it. It takes up to 4 weeks for the written confirmation to be sent.

Yes Boris you can, depends if the DVLA database is working or not though - or they lose your details due to human error (which weirdly becomes your error)

Dani

Hi Shabz,

Sorry for my late reply - I've been on holiday this week on the not-so sunny lincolnshire coast, freezing our butts off at night (brrrrrrr).

Glad to be back home, in the warm now :)

The answer to your question is yes, you can use the template letter, I put up in your case as it states that the DVLA is not a court of law and cannot make judgements, fining people.

Also, if you have sent off the SORN declaration, then you can quote the UPU act, if they deny receiving it (lost in post).

If you have any questions, please let me know - I am happy to help.

Dani

Hi all,

This case sounds very familliar as my partner and i was going threw this. Last july we decided to purches a car of a neighbour we then decided to not buy it and he sold it on to someone else. we signed the document to say we no longer had the vehicle and despite sending them a letter every month they managed to lose the document and the letters took us to court and the case got thrown out. took a year to sort out but it was done. They have not refiled, as they can do, but what they failed to do was there job. I found out that they should have put an stop on the vechile out so that the owner can be questioned over ownership of the car. Needless to say we had to do that and we also had to inform the police that the car was missing and a rough idea of where the owner lived. well good luck with this matter and keep us informed.

Cool Fairy Godmother - another person who takes on the DVLA :)

Well done :cool:

Dani

A person after my own heart GodMother :)

I would love to see how much the DVLA spends on lawyers, taking us all to court, surely that is wrong using our money to take other people to court.

The same is true of the BBC, to pay their massive fine, for dodgy phone competitions - they took the money out of licence payers money.

This government needs a shakeup. They no longer have their constituants interests at heart - merely their own money making schemes.

• 3 weeks later...
So, they've sent me the letter - now what? Sit it out or send something else??

Or write to my MP?

What about submitting proof of scrapped car?

annoying thing is I cant remember who scrapped my vehicle, it was a case of ringing someone int he back of my local rag and they came and took away for free

Hi Pete,

Unfortunately, it's now a waiting game, they will either try to take you to county court , or they won't.

The last letter you received was basically them trying to intimidate you again, stick to your guns :)

Kind Regards

Dani

• 10 months later...

Sorry about this,

But since my court judgement (which I won) the DVLA has been factoring out SORN fines to a company called Capita - the same company that the TV licencing use. 1 of the directors has a distinctly scary past, I don't have any details on the other directors.