• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

ge money help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5475 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i am having problems with ge money we are currently in arrears with our morgage , its about three months worth of payments , i have written to them regarding it and said that we hoped to resolve it by the end of june, then i recieved a letter saying that they would look into it , then we recieved a default notice saying that if we didnt pay the arrears by the 13th june then they would take it further, i sent them a part payment last month and will be able to pay this months payment and a bit extra off the arrears trouble is they want the arrears by the 13th hubby doesnt get paid till the 15th , its pointless writing to them as they dont seem to read the letters , i cant speak to them on the phone i just clam up or get really angry, i am really worried but hopefully ill be able to pay the arrears off by the end of the month, but i cant bank on it any suggestions?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try not to worry... Put everything in writing and send it to them, keep a copy for youselves, dont waste your time speaking to them on the phone, IF and its a big IF they take it further, no judge will take their side at this stage if you have made a just and reasonable offer to settle your arrears..

Good luck.. Chin up.. keep us posted...

P.S. If it helps, my arrears was agreed to be paid off over 26 months, GMACS rep would have none of it, but the judge clipped his ear and sent him on his way..

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.

Thats good news that you could clear your arrears but as the timing might be all out of sync, you still need to deal with your mortgage problem as if there was NO money coming back from the bank..Then when it does come thru you can go right ahead and pay off more than agreed...They wont wait for the bank to pay up, you have to act now........

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Hi There look at your finances over a period of say 6 months can you pay your mortgage and if you can what can you pay off the arreas it dosnt need to be much just something do not take into consideration what might happen only what will ie forget what you might get only sallaries that you know that you will put a proposal to them on writing that YOU CAN AFFORD dont be optermistic if they say no pay what you have suggested if they take you to court the Judge will be on your side if you have been realistic hundreds of us have been in this position it is scary but the companies have a habit of forcinging you to say you will do more than you can this makes matters worse no judge will take your house away if you are honest and trying to do the best you can its tough but dont rush into things you have time make a list of income and expenditure and go from there everyone on this site are here to help so try to relax and realize that what you are going through is not unique to you and you have rights on your side the most important thing is to not make a promise you may not be able to complete keep the faith and come back with any questions

bona xxx

If I was you I would check the dates on the default notice and when you received it. They should give you 14 days notice. My daughter has had problems with GE Money with the dating of their letters. They deliberately back date correspondence, I've caught them out 3 times now. I also keep all the envelops.

they gave me till the 13th of june which is next week, i have written them letters and had replys saying " thankyou for your recent letter, we will look into it and get back to you but they never do i have made a couple of proposals but recieved nothing only the default letter oh and a monthly arrears statement, our next payment is due a week on monday i will be sending this payment next week with a bit extra towards the arrears and also another letter and wait and see what happens i really dont want to go to court we had this problem with our halifax morgage a few years ago but they werent as nasty as ge money, and we sorted that out no problem.

The 13th June... I forgive you all in advance for not sending me a birthday card. !!!!!

Look all the letters are standard stuff, in fact if i threw mine away you could have the empty Grundon bins.........Just keep making payments as much and as often as you can, If it goes to court, and it wont, you hold all the aces, they have to follow proceedures to protect their interests, i know thats no excuse for acting like pigs, but your probably talking to a student ( no offence )on £7 a year, drafted in to help with the backlog...

Be strong.. You WILL be ok....

• 7 months later...

We recieved a letter from GE money stating that they are taking us to court for the possesion of our home, i panicked and rang them they were very pleasent and i agreed and amount and he said that they would contact their solicitor and arrange for a suspended possesion order as long as i contacted the court aswell when i recieve the court date. But i think i was a bit hasty with the amount i agreed to pay to clear the arrears , i was so worried when i rang them i wasnt thinking , i dont know what to do now, ill pay what i agreed but it leaves me with hardly anything to pay my other creditors , im panicking a bit now, i dont want to loose my house.

We recieved a letter from GE money stating that they are taking us to court for the possesion of our home, i panicked and rang them they were very pleasent and i agreed and amount and he said that they would contact their solicitor and arrange for a suspended possesion order as long as i contacted the court aswell when i recieve the court date. But i think i was a bit hasty with the amount i agreed to pay to clear the arrears , i was so worried when i rang them i wasnt thinking , i dont know what to do now, ill pay what i agreed but it leaves me with hardly anything to pay my other creditors , im panicking a bit now, i dont want to loose my house.

Are your other creditors unsecured? If so then pay GE and get that nasty lot off your back for now. I would not trust them and if a court date comes up I would suggest you turn up - just incase.

Fought off repossession from GE two years ago - paid them off just before Christmas just gone - great feeling.

GE's "debt counsellor" told us not to pay our credit cards etc as they could not do anything - which was quite amusing really as four of the cards were GE's anyway:D.

If you need help just shout.

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Are your other creditors unsecured? If so then pay GE and get that nasty lot off your back for now. I would not trust them and if a court date comes up I would suggest you turn up - just incase.

Fought off repossession from GE two years ago - paid them off just before Christmas just gone - great feeling.

GE's "debt counsellor" told us not to pay our credit cards etc as they could not do anything - which was quite amusing really as four of the cards were GE's anyway:D.

If you need help just shout.

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

It's not too late, I'd recommend taking advice from a CAB or similar but even before you do that, sit down and work out what you can afford towards your arrears by doing a financial statement.

Once you've worked it out you can put it to GE, it's quite likely they won't accept it if it's outside their company policy but the law says you have up to the remaining term of the mortgage to repay arrears (although you should clear them as quickly as you can comfortably afford).

If GE say no you can put the proposal to the Court either in advance of the hearing in the form of a letter (there's no need to do witness statements in possession proceedings - defendant's evidence is admissable in any form) or by turning up and giving your case on the day.

Your chances of success are good - particularly if you have equity and your proposal will still clear the arrears in up to five years. Even if it won't, if your financial statement supports your offer the Court will want to make a reasonable order to give you a chance to keep your home.

Good luck

It's not too late, I'd recommend taking advice from a CAB or similar but even before you do that, sit down and work out what you can afford towards your arrears by doing a financial statement.

Once you've worked it out you can put it to GE, it's quite likely they won't accept it if it's outside their company policy but the law says you have up to the remaining term of the mortgage to repay arrears (although you should clear them as quickly as you can comfortably afford).

If GE say no you can put the proposal to the Court either in advance of the hearing in the form of a letter (there's no need to do witness statements in possession proceedings - defendant's evidence is admissable in any form) or by turning up and giving your case on the day.

Your chances of success are good - particularly if you have equity and your proposal will still clear the arrears in up to five years. Even if it won't, if your financial statement supports your offer the Court will want to make a reasonable order to give you a chance to keep your home.

Good luck

Hi there, the advice you have been given to contact GE (in writing and by recorded delivery) and put forward a revised proposal for payment of the arrears is the right thing to do at this stage.

However it sounds likely that, even if they do acept your proposal, they are still intent on issuing papers for possession. If they do it is in your interests to attend the hearing and defend it. If you do not attend GE will get a suspended possession order in your absence and you will have no control over the conditions of the suspension

If you attend you will get the opportunity to explain and show the judge what you can afford to pay off the arrears.

If they do issue court papers for possession. - please post on here and we will help you to complete and submit them.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi there, the advice you have been given to contact GE (in writing and by recorded delivery) and put forward a revised proposal for payment of the arrears is the right thing to do at this stage.

However it sounds likely that, even if they do acept your proposal, they are still intent on issuing papers for possession. If they do it is in your interests to attend the hearing and defend it. If you do not attend GE will get a suspended possession order in your absence and you will have no control over the conditions of the suspension

If you attend you will get the opportunity to explain and show the judge what you can afford to pay off the arrears.

If they do issue court papers for possession. - please post on here and we will help you to complete and submit them.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

hi thanks for the above advise, the amount we have proposed would pay the arrears off by august so its 7 months but we would struggle our normal payment is about £480 a month and we have offered £750 a month which the happily accepted , but i wish now that i had said £650 a month which we would be able to manage, or even £680 which would be £200 on top of our morgage payment, which would take about 10 months to clear the arrears which is still less than a year, i am hoping to sell our car in the next couple of months aswell (when i have had it fixed) and the money from that would clear the arrears. The only other problem we have is welcome finance , ringing the house every two minutes turning up on the doorstep ringing my husbands employer to check that he has been paid (which im sure is not allowed), i wish i could get rid of them!

hi thanks for the above advise, the amount we have proposed would pay the arrears off by august so its 7 months but we would struggle our normal payment is about £480 a month and we have offered £750 a month which the happily accepted , but i wish now that i had said £650 a month which we would be able to manage, or even £680 which would be £200 on top of our morgage payment, which would take about 10 months to clear the arrears which is still less than a year, i am hoping to sell our car in the next couple of months aswell (when i have had it fixed) and the money from that would clear the arrears. The only other problem we have is welcome finance , ringing the house every two minutes turning up on the doorstep ringing my husbands employer to check that he has been paid (which im sure is not allowed), i wish i could get rid of them!

10 months is pretty quick for clearing arrears so GE might still go for it. Hopefully you have made a reasonable proposal to Welcome as well as they are also secured. As Welcome are the second charge they are at more risk and therefore quick to take things to Court. Welcome also charge much higher interest so arrears with them are going to cost you more in the long term. Your proposals to GE, Welcome and any other secured debts (not those secured by charging orders) should clear the arrears in the same amount of time, the principle of pro-rata payments.

10 months is pretty quick for clearing arrears so GE might still go for it. Hopefully you have made a reasonable proposal to Welcome as well as they are also secured. As Welcome are the second charge they are at more risk and therefore quick to take things to Court. Welcome also charge much higher interest so arrears with them are going to cost you more in the long term. Your proposals to GE, Welcome and any other secured debts (not those secured by charging orders) should clear the arrears in the same amount of time, the principle of pro-rata payments.

welcome finance is a 3rd charge, we are still a bit puzzled to how they managed to get it secured as there wasnt the equity in our property, and if we sold up know they wouldnt get all their money

welcome finance is a 3rd charge, we are still a bit puzzled to how they managed to get it secured as there wasnt the equity in our property, and if we sold up know they wouldnt get all their money