Funky1 (Scotalnd) Vs' Abbey (England)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6157 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I live in Scotalnd and am looking to claim £1726 + interest from Abbey. I see I should claim through the English courts for this amount using MCOL or N1 form.

I have a few queries:

Firstly, what local county court I would submit my claim to - the Abbeys registered address is London so would it be there?

Secondly, is likely I would need to appear? I am pregnant and so this could be a problem!

Thirdly, would it be better for me to claim from a Scottish or an English address?

If anyone has any experience or advice I would be grateful.

Cheers!

Firstly, what local county court I would submit my claim to - the Abbeys registered address is London so would it be there? yes it would be a london court local to there headquarters, shouldn't be too difficult to locate.

Secondly, is likely I would need to appear? I am pregnant and so this could be a problem! It is not highly likely you would have to appear, it is still quite rare, but, before embarking on such action, you should be prepared to appear if neccesary.

Thirdly, would it be better for me to claim from a Scottish or an English address? If you are using MCOL you require an english address for correspondence, if you are using N1 you post them to the court and can use your home address

hope this helps

Thanks for the quick response!

So, if I used a English address (I have a family member not far over the border) then the local county court could be there instead of London?

I'm considering dropping 226 quid off my claim to make it easier and claim from Scotland but I grudge it being a tight fisted Scot!

So, if I used a English address (I have a family member not far over the border) then the local county court could be there instead of London?

Spot on - you could also use MCOL if you wished. Also even if you dropped the £226 and used the Scottish procedure you would still be using summary cause rather than small claims. Personally I would go with the full claim and use the English system.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

right. so just before I ask my wee brother to use his address - by doing so there's no hassle or come back for him? I just want to make sure before I fire afead!

Cheers

No hassle for him at all.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I’ve received another letter from Abbey informing me that they are investigating my claim but are not yet done. I have now received 5 of these letters to my current address. I’m also getting duplicates sent to my old address even though the address was changed a year ago and they keep addressing the letters to my husband even though everything has been sent by and signed by me. I’ve written to them to complain about the address change and asked them to respond to my letters directly and not to my husband.

However, I’ve pretty much confused myself. Should I use MCOL or N1? Bearing in mind I do have access to an English address and my claim is 1726 quid before interest.

Also, The interest calculator – should I use the English or Scottish one – I’m assuming English but just want to confirm? I’m chasing my tail now and I just want to get my court claim sent off as soon as possible so please help!

Cheers!

Hopefully this link will help http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/98181-mcol-n1.html?highlight=mcol

With regards to the interest calculator, if your using the English system use the English calculator.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey,

I decided to pursue my claim through the FO after receiving a letter from Abbey saying they were unable to complete their investigation within the 8 week limit on Friday. However, today I got an offer of £270 which will be paid into my account within 10 days. I have my rejection letter ready to go but if they go ahead and pay it into my account - can I spend it or should I leave it sitting there until the FO investigation is complete? I have not sent my FO form away yet but will be doing it this afternoon.

You can either reject it or accept it as partial settlement and pursue the matter with the FOS. Rejection letters are here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/25716-rejecting-offers.html