• Tweets

• Even a Piers Morgan is an improvement and a gutless Farage Piers Morgan calls for second Brexit referendum WWW.THELONDONECONOMIC.COM Piers Morgan and Nigel Farage have faced off over Brexit and a second referendum in a heated reunion on BBC Question Time.   “Why don’t we have another referendum about Brexit?” he questioned. “I seem to remember when 2016 came around we were told there was going to be control of our borders and it was going to be economically beneficial to this country. And eight years later we have lost complete control of our borders… and economically it seems to have been a wilful act of self-harm.”   ... Piers missed off : after all somebody said a 48/52 decision would be "unfinished business" by a long way - was that person just bul lying (again)  
    • when did they (who) inform you there was a 'police case' and when was this attained? i will guess the debt is now SB'd as it's UAE 15yrs. have you informed the bsnk ever by email/letter of your correct and current address? you can always ignore anyone else accept the bank,  Block and bounce back all emails. Block any text messages  Ignore any letters unless it's: - a Statutory Demand - a Letter Of Claim - a Court Claimform via Northants bulk.  
    • I left Dubai 8 years ago and intended to return. However a job prospect fell through. I’d been there for 15 years. I decided to pay my credit card and the bank had frozen my account. There is no means to pay the CC so completely unable to pay when I wanted to other than the bank advising me to ask a friend in the UAE to pay it on my behalf!  fast forward bank informs there is a police case against me for non payment. Years later IDR chased me and after months/ years they stopped. Now Judge & Priestley are trying their luck. Now I have received an email in English and Arabic from JP saying the bank has authorised them to collect debts. Is this the same as IDR although I didn’t receive anything like this from them. Just says they are authorised?
    • The neighbour's house is built right on the boundary so the side of their house is effectively the 'wall' in our garden separating the two properties. It's a three storey house and so the mortar poses a potential danger to us. Because of the danger, we have put up an interior fence in our garden to ensure we don't risk mortar dropping on us. That reduces the garden by 25% which is not only an inconvenience, but it's the part of the garden where we had lined up contractors to install a patio and gazebo which we will use for our wedding reception in less than 2 months. We have spoken to the neighbour's caretaker who is on the case, has spoken with a roofer and possibly a scaffolding company, but there are several issues. They don't seem to understand the urgency. As long as there is a risk of falling mortar, we can't carry out any work in the garden, and unless they hurry up, we're looking at cancelling our wedding as it's not viable to book a venue because we can't use our own garden! Also, they want to put the scaffolding up in our garden which would be ok with us if it was a matter of a few days and they hurried up, but there is a tree (most likely protected by the conservation area), so most likely they can only reach part of the roof with the scaffolding if they put it up in our garden. We suggested a roofer with a cherry picker but they seem to want to use a company they've used before. Any and all comments, suggestions, advice is more than welcome.  PS. does it make any difference that the neighbour is a business (ltd) and not a private dwelling?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Natwest Terms and conditions

MARTIN3030
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5968 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi StevePm

Thanks for the statement of evidence. I have now included this with my bundle. Do I have to put a copy of the Robinson v Harman which is cited in the statement? I have copies of all the others ie Dunlop etc.

Sorry to keep asking so many questions but you seem to know your stuff! Do you know anything about adding charges which account has incurred since claim was put in? I am pasting a copy of my letter going to court and Cobbetts which is going with my bundle. Do you think this ok. I am sending out my bundles tomorrow so just need to tie up a few loose ends then its in the hands of the gods - or judges as they are properly known!!!!

Thanks again for your help so far - JayneG

Letter to Cobbetts..............

Name of claimant and address

County Court

30 May 2007

Dear Sir

Claimant: *******

No. *******

Defendant: NatWest Bank

Please find court bundle for hearing on 4 July 2007.

PLEASE NOTE:

The last statement received from the defendant was 31 January 2007. Despite numerous requests by telephone to the bank and having to pay a further £5 [£10 fee already paid when initially requested bank statements in January 2007] when requesting up to date statements, none have to date been received from the bank. Neither has a letter dated 1st May [and faxed and resent by guaranteed next day delivery on 10 May] been acknowledged or replied to by the bank or Cobbetts Solicitors.

The claimant is therefore unsure how many further charges have been incurred on the account. However, the claimant has been advised by phone that a further £140.00 charges have been put on the account up to the end of March [as stated the claimant has been unable to obtain further statements from the defendant and therefore cannot confirm this amount or whether it may be lower or higher than that confirmed by NatWest].

The claimant has also had to pay a further £100 allocation fee.

Therefore, in addition to the charges and costs already stated on the claim a further £240 to today’s date, less interest, has been incurred by the claimant.

IE:

Charges to 31 January 2007 £2076.40

Interest to 31 January 2007 £ 251.40

Court fee £ 120.00

Allocation fee £ 100.00

Recorded delivery post £ 13.28

Further charges from 31.12.07 £ 140.00

TOTAL CLAIM to date £2701.08

No further interest has been added to the above sum since 31 January 2007.

Yours faithfully

………………………………

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I received the T&Cs from 2002 this morning - will post them when I've scanned them

Steven

If this post is helpful, please click the scales

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability.

Almost everything I know concerning the law I learned from this site

I know someone who has requested (verbally) a copy of all the T&C from the date their account opened.

The person in head office replied that it would be impossible, since they themselves do not have them since t&c change so regularly.

Now I undertand that for compliance issues, they must retain these (at very least six years).

Also if Banks are unable to provide customers on request for say last six years T&C and they are unable to provide them , then surely it must follow that their argument about the "t&C relating to you account blah blah" falls flat on its rather large behind, since thay are unable to provide them or know what they were throughout the life of an account.

Either they do have them , which means that they are lying and not complying to SAR, hich I feel should now include requests for T&C ( in which case the inforamtion comissioner should get a wee shout) or they dont have them and are not complying with rules regarding the retention of these (hmm info commisioner again), and their "legal" raguments arent worth diddly

Terms and Conditions for May 2002

The pdf version scanned from Current Plus, Current Account & Step Account Terms and Conditions

NWB1795 May 2002 is available here

Also here is some text based on the May 2002 T&Cs that you could use in a Statement of Evidence to demonstrate that the 'Fees' are penalties:

On page 4 it says:

Terms and Conditions for NatWest personal Current Accounts

B All Accounts

….. You must always ensure that you have enough cleared money in your account by 3:30pm on the working weekday before:

you give out cheques

standing orders or direct debits are due to be paid

you withdraw money from a cash machine

you use switch or solo

you request us to make payments by electronic means.

If sufficient cleared money is not in your account by 3:30pm on the previous working weekday, then your cheques, standing order, direct debits, cash machine, switch, soloor other transactions may not be paid. …

Fees

Full details of our fees, and when they may be applied, are given in ‘A Guide to Personal Current Account Fees’.

Page 5 it says:

C Overdrawn Account

Overdrafts are only available for current account customers if you … have arranged this first with your Branch….. If you do not have an arrangement, we may charge you an extra fee and interest at our rate for unarranged borrowing according to our published tariff. If your account does not have enough cleared money to cover an amount you want to take out we may:

refuse to let you take the money out; or

close the account

The Leaflet “A Guide to Personal Current Account Fees” effectively forms part of these Terms and Conditions and says that in the event that sufficient cleared money is not in the account as described in B above, the result will be a charge.

The Claimant contends that these Terms require that, in the proper running of the Account, sufficient funds (including any agreed overdraft facility) must be maintained in the account to cover withdrawals or the result will be a charge. (It should be noted that this Condition applies even in cases over which the customer has no control, eg the paying of a Direct Debit where the payment date and amount are controlled by the payee or even in some circumstances by the bank itself.)

Further, the Claimant contends that, although these charges are referred to as “Fees”, the Terms and Conditions are a clear statement that a charge will be imposed if the customer breaks the requirement that sufficient funds be in the account on the previous working day to any withdrawal. The term itself sets out that the charge arises purely on the occurrence of the event and, as such, is a penalty or default charge rather than a fee for operating the account.

Steven

Steven

Thanks for these just what Cobbetts need Oops sorry I mean dont need.

StevePM

StevePM

If you find this useful please tip my scales

First win £5k+ another five on the go all with NatWest

Steven,

Many thanks - this is very helpful.

Have you (or anyone for that matter) incorporated anything like this into their witness statement?

It looks mighty appropriate to do so. :)

G

Gr4th

I did for a GE claim but then they settled before I had to submit my court bundle. I am preparing one for NatWest and I will certainly be putting the above text in (or something based on it) and I shall be doing one based on 2001 business account T&Cs for my own NW claim if it gets that far.

Steven

I have created a simple web site here for the various Nat West T&Cs I have. I have also put a file detailing why the charges are penalties which can be used in a statement of evidence.

Steven

Steven

thanks for these just what the cobbie ordered

or not

StevePM

StevePM

I would ring the court and ask. When are the bundles due in? My court says 3 days before the hearing date, but others have been told 14 days. Either way, you have plenty of time before the 4 July.

Steven

Almost everything I know concerning the law I learned from this site.

• Haha 1

I would ring the court and ask. When are the bundles due in? My court says 3 days before the hearing date, but others have been told 14 days. Either way, you have plenty of time before the 4 July.

Steven

15 June due in!

I think account was opened approx 2001 ish. Can you point me in right direction for these T&C and I will ring the court tomorrow and ask if I can amend the bundle before Friday Cheers JayneG. Cant believe Iv messed up at this late stage - what an idiot!!!

I've got some May 2002 ones. That's the nearest I've got. You could always write to Cobbetts and ask for the correct ones "under CPR pre-action protocol 4.6©". Haven't you got until about the 20th to get the bundle in?

BTW - I have just checked the latest (2006) T&Cs for personal current accounts and business accounts and the bits that relate charges ('operations on the account" and "overdrafts" are esentially identical - the business account one omits "if you are aged over 18" from the overdrafts bit)

Steven

I've got some May 2002 ones. That's the nearest I've got. You could always write to Cobbetts and ask for the correct ones "under CPR pre-action protocol 4.6©". Haven't you got until about the 20th to get the bundle in?

BTW - I have just checked the latest (2006) T&Cs for personal current accounts and business accounts and the bits that relate charges ('operations on the account" and "overdrafts" are esentially identical - the business account one omits "if you are aged over 18" from the overdrafts bit)

Steven

Thanks for that - feel a bit better now but do you think I should still amend and send in the correct T&C? I have been counting 14 "working" days for the bundles to be in which is this Friday 15th? Cheers for your help JayneG

Hi Steven4064

Just an update. Called the court as you suggested and they said no problem just send in letter with replacement T&C and amended index and they will see it gets replaced. I am sending this out tomorrow - together with the same for Cobbetts. In view of the hearing being 4 July - do you suggest I still write to Cobbetts and ask them for T&C under CPR pre-action protocol 4.6© as, in the very unlikely event I received them, there wouldnt be time to put them with the bundle? Thanks again for your help JayneG

do you suggest I still write to Cobbetts and ask them for T&C under CPR pre-action protocol 4.6© as, in the very unlikely event I received them, there wouldnt be time to put them with the bundle?

I would, even if only to keep the pressure on Cobbetts. You don't have to us them particlarly as the chance of Cobbetts producing a bundle and truning up in court is virtually zero. If they did produce a bundle, they may then put the appropriate T&Cs in theirs!!!

Steven

All

on th esubject of CPR 18 on Cobbies I ave not heard anything at this point in time they only have a few days left. If they do not deliver I am going to write to the court and request an early direction to either force them or have the defence thrown out.

StevePM

StevePM

• 2 weeks later...

Jec

Do youhave a court date? If you have a couple of weeks, your best bet is to write to Cobbetts and ask them to provide a coy of the T&Cs applicable at the time you opened your accoun"t pursuant to CPR Pre-Action Protocol 4.6©" You should get tham in a few days.

When you get them, please could you copy them to me so I can add them to the link on the post above.

Steven

Thanks Steven

On my natwest thread Hedgey gave me your info letter to do the same. Mailed it last night for delivery Monday morning to Cobbetts.

Jec

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys

I have a problem -I opened my account in 1995 and can't fine the terms and conditions. I also need to get my bundle back in a couple of days, so I don't think i've got time to request them.

Should I include them? If so, should I put the most current ones, or ones from 2000 ( when i'm claiming from) ?

If I do include terms and conditions that aren't the originals, should i mention this in the statement of evidence?

Thanks a lot guys.

Aaron

DrWu

I had the same problem as you my account was opened 1992. I wrote to Cobetts and NatWest using the protocol letter steven described above, they won't give me the tand cs back, just ignoring my letters. Lets ask a moderator to advise.

Jec

Hi. I'm in search of my T&C. My statements show i have a Current Plus account which i would have opened in 2003. Where am i able to find T&C for this? As they are always changing their T&C i'm not sure what would be most relevent for me?

Thanks