Subhuman -v- Natwest

subhuman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6186 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sent a SAR to Edinburgh 25th April.

Received reply this morning with what looks to be a template letter (with lots of tick boxes) and returned my postal order of £10.

They ticked the one that stated:

'We have a different address on our records. Please advise your branch of your new address, and when you moved, so that our records can be updated'

They are obviously stalling as I prempted this request by supplying copies of passport, council tax demand etc... as proof of identity and address!

Looks like I'll be making a trip to the bank when I get chance. My account has been closed/frozen (in a DMP with Payplan) so no doubt I'll be requested to step into a private room somewhere to discuss. *Sigh*

And finally... the paperwork they sent has the following:

"The fee for this service is £5.00 which covers all accounts requested."

So the question is - do I send £5 back, £10 or perhaps even two £5 postal orders if they try to worm out of it that way?

Guest NATTIE

what?? did you send the money already? If yes then No need to go to the branch.

Yes, sent the SAR with postal order for £10 - including copies of passport and council tax demand as proof of who I am and where I live (as I've moved and the account address will be the old one)

As above - they say I need to go to the branch and have returned payment, but also state on the letter than fee is £5. Although on the form it does say 'Please refer only to the TICKED boxes'

Guest NATTIE

No, send it back with fee stating 40 days are ticking for info otherwise you will sue them first for non compliance of SAR.

Hi Nattie,

Just to clarify for both me and others who may be in this situation in the future:

Are you saying:

1) DON'T go to the branch to change address?

2) Send back all paperwork (including £10 postal order, passport copy and council tax demand copy)

...including strongly worded letter advising that time is ticking and that the enclosed paperwork should serve as notification of change of address ?

Guest NATTIE

you can do 1 if you want, but on 2 send it back stating time is ticking. Do you use internet banking?(there is another way dare i say it)

Tried logging in, but get a message "We would like to help you however we are unable to display your account(s) at this time call..."

I think its probably because my account has been transferred to CMS with it being part of my Payplan DMP.

Well, anyway, I will pop to the branch at the weekend and change the address. In the meantime, I've drafted this letter that I'll be posting tommorow. Any thoughts? (I think my dates are right with regard to 40 days):

Joyce Tudor

Retail Regulatory Risk

2nd Floor

The Cornerstone

60 South Gyle Crescent

South Gyle Park

Edinburgh

EH12 9WF

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxx

With regard to your letter dated 1 May, 2007 (a copy of which is enclosed) I feel it is necessary to advise that you have, to date, failed to comply with my Data Protection Act 1998 Subject Access Request. This request, dated (24/04/07), was sent to the address above by first class recorded delivery on (25/04/07), along with a postal order for the statutory maximum fee of £10.

Please find a copy of the Subject Access Request enclosed with this letter. I have, again, enclosed copies of my passport and recent council tax bill as proof of my identity and home address. This address is the address you should use for any communication with me.

The 40 days allowed for compliance will expire on (05/06/07). As a reputable and esteemed organisation, I trust that you take your legal responsibilities seriously and that you intend to fully honour your obligation to provide me with the information that I have requested, within the required period.

However, I wish to make clear that should you fail to comply, or fail to comply in full, I will seek a court order under section 7 and 15(2) of the Data Protection Act 1998, obliging you to do so, together with damages at the discretion of the court. Furthermore, I will file an official complaint with the Office of the Information Commissioner, as well as the Financial Services Authority.

Yours Faithfully

subhuman

• 3 weeks later...

*Sigh*

Natwest are still giving me the run around with my SAR. Didn't get chance to go to the branch and change my address as hours have changed at work - the only day I get off is Sunday now!

Received the following reply:

Thank you for requesting copy statements held by the Bank. Unfortunately, we are unable to process your request immediately.

Please refer to the instructions below. These issues need to be addressed in order for us to process your request. Any information that is required to be supplied by you, under Section 7 of the Data Protection Act, can then be forwarded to you as soon as possible. Please be aware that the 40-day time limit for this Subject Access Request begins from when the bank has sufficient information to process your request

* The fee for this service is £5.00. Please provide us with a payment for this amount by cheque or postal order, made payable to 'NatWest'. We cannot accept cash

* We hold a different address for you in our records. Please advise your branch of your new address and when you moved, as we can only release your information to the address we hold in our records.

IMPORTANT: Please quote the reference number RNxxxx in all correspondance

This is really starting to irritate me. I have provided full proof of ID and address but they are dragging their feet. Not only that, but they have not returned the £10 postal order I sent!

Nattie - if you are still reading this thread, can you confirm if there is another way to change address if I can't get to the branch (besides online banking as my account appears to be removed from there)

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

sub.

Hi subhuman,

Unfortunately, nattie's no longer posting on the nat west forum - although he does check in on us from time to time!

However, I really do think you'll have to go into the branch in person to update your address. I fear Nat West will keep dragging their feet with this until you attend your branch in person to get the system update.

Not particularly easy I know - especially if you don't work near the branch. But I think this will be the only way to update your details.

Let us know how you get on - hedgey xxx :p

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Well spoke to customer services and they advised me to speak to Actionline. Went through the verification process and they were about to do it... but then said there was a marker on the account which meant it couldn't be done.

Explained I couldn't get to the branch, so she advised she would try and get the bank to call me. Not holding my breath.