URGENT - Wickes shower broke

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6366 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A shower I purchased from Wickes about 18 months ago started gettign really hot recently. I opened it up to find that the wiring inside had shorted and started a small fire. The wires just fell off as soon as I touched them.

Clsoer examination revealed two main wires very close together and I assume a small amount of steam got in there and caused the short.

I don't still have the receipt but I'm pretty sure it's only sold in Wickes stores - it's an Aquatronic one.

I presume I can use the Sale of Goods act as it would reasonably be expected to last a lot longer than this but I'm not sure where I stand.

I need a replacement as it was built onto a false wall and all the plumbing etc would probably only fit that model. I don't want to have to pay for the plumbing to be re-done!

Any advice would be great as I'm hoping to go in there tomorrow.

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

A Google search shows Aquatronic showers are sold in lots of different places, not just Wickes.

How did you pay? Could you track your purchase through c/c or bank statements? You don't have to have a receipt, but the store is within their rights to see proof that you purchased with them.

If not, you'll have to contact Aquatronic themselves, and prevail yourself of SOGA then.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I paid by credit card. I checked through all the paper statements I have but can't find it anywhere.

I think I'm going to call Wickes general helpline and see what they say. If I don't get anywhere then I'll go to Aquatronic. I didn't fill in and send off the standard guarantee when i got it, but I'm sure they should be able to check it's age based on a serial number of something? Maybe they've only been making this model for a certain time in which case I could be ok anyway.

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

• 5 months later...