• Tweets

• dont need them.   let the defendant play the terms game
    • I am reading the thread now and think although its probably very similar to my predicament,  I have no way of obtaining the terms anymore due to MyParcelDelivery having being dissolved and their website not being active now. I have nothing to quote from and they didn't send me a copy at the time of order, the website that I believe they reinvented themselves as P4D has terms I am looking at now but however similar they may be I wont be able to quote from them in this case. Thanks 
    • Thankyou for your reply jk2054 thats put my mind at ease regarding going forward, appreciate your help.   Thanks Bankfodder, I will look over that thread now. In regards to the further info: Item was a jacket, value £995.00 and was declared correctly Item was fully insured to the value and £995.00 declared correctly  Item was sent on 03/02/23 Thanks  
    • Sunak must be using GBNOTnews financial planners .. GB News losses up 38% to £42.4m giving channel total deficit of £76m since launch Losses in the latest accounting period were six times greater than revenue.   Mind you, as it seems to clearly be a disinformation service and route of money to poopy MPs and hangers on ... I'm sure they dont mind (mm is that the 'Tory guv or GBNews I'm talking about?.)   GB News owner pumps in further £41mn in funding as losses widen WWW.FT.COM Vehicle backed by hedge fund tycoon Paul Marshall steps in as right-leaning broadcaster increases number of staff   GB News losses grew 38% to £42.4m in 2023 financial year - Press Gazette PRESSGAZETTE.CO.UK GB News' operating losses grew 38% to £42.4m in the year to May 2023, the business has reported in its latest Companies House...  
    • United Kingdom Debt Clock: British National Debt Grow By The Second - Commodity.com COMMODITY.COM Want to know why the UK's national debt-to-GDP ratio is increasing so rapidly? See our overview of the UK national debt and GDP figures.   The tories borrowing last year alone was " £1,780 per head of the UK’s population"
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

ERC refund against West Brom - before court stage

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6240 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Help please.

We have paid ERC to West Brom last year and have sent letters to request this is repaid to us.

The redemption period was for 3 years and we were 43 days off being released from this when the mortgage was repaid in full. However they insisted the full redemption amount was payable, which our solictor sent to the company on the 1st August 2006. It seems really unjust that they could charge the full amount of redemption when we just 43 days off the end period.

To work out what the true cost of the redemption was I divided the redemption figure by 1095 (as that was the number of days (3 years) it was vaild for) After I have that figure i mulitipled it by the amout of days the redemption had left to run (42 days) then minus that from the figure paid i.e

redemption figure 6399.77 dvided by 1095 = 5.8445388 = daily rate

5.8445388 x 42 = 245.47062 amount left

6399.77 - 245.47062 = 6154.2994 Is the amount was over charged.

However I have asked for £70% of the figure, which is £4479.89 as this keeps me in the small claims court and shows i am trying to be reasonable. I have stated in the letter I have sent them that no interest has been added at this stage however if I go to court, then i'll add the court's daily rate from the date the money was charged.

The argument I have used is this:

Having taken legal advice on this matter it is very clear, as you will no doubt be aware, that English contract law requires such charges to be a genuine pre-estimate of your losses. In the case of Castaneda and Others v Clydebank Engineering and Shipbuilding Co Ltd., (1902) 12 SLT 498 the House of Lords held that a contractual party can only recover damages for actual or liquidated losses incurred from a breach of contract as opposed to a charge which represents a penalty. This was upheld in the case of Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd v New Garage and Motor Co Ltd [1915] AC 79. In addition to this, your charges would represent an unfair term of contract which is contrary to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (SL. 1999/2083). Your charges would constitute an unfair penalty under Schedule 2 of the said regulations which provide an indicative and non-exhaustive list of terms which may be regarded as unfair. Under paragraph 1(e) of schedule 2 this specifically includes terms which have the object of requiring any consumer who fails his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation.

We would also like to bring to your attention the following statement by the Office of Fair Trading:

A term in a mortgage agreement which requires the borrower to pay more for breaching the contract than actual costs and losses caused to the lender by the breach (or a genuine pre-estimate of that) is likely to be regarded as an unfair penalty and to be unenforceable at Common Law and (in a consumer mortgage) under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations.

The fact that we signed the mortgage offer containing the term relating to the early redemption charge does not make this term enforceable, as I’m sure your legal department are fully aware.

I have had the standard response from them - i.e. give us 14 days etc, to which i responded with not a chance sunshine - pay up by the 8th May or it's court time - only more politely and professionally put!!

I faxed this letter to them today and they phoned to confirm receipt of the fax (am also sending it recorded delivery) The person i spoke to on the phone stated that they will respond by the 8th May. I very much doubt they are going to roll over and pay up, so my next step is court.

Could anyone offer any advice on what the POC should be and whether it is better to do it online or in person (for my bank charges i have used the online route)

I want to gather as much info prior to making a court application, so I am all prepared and have time to understand the legal arguments that will throw at me and how I can best answer these.

If you do a search against ERC you will find some big threads on this topic. There is no breach of contract with an ERC payment and therefore the payment cannot be a penalty charge. This is the entirely unsatisfactory state of the law as it stands at present, despite the Law Commission saying as far back as the 1970s that this should change.

I think the main threads are Zoots and you should be able to find them by searching against the name.

If you have a small claim beware because that may not stop the indemnity clause in the mortgage agreement from operating so that West Brom could ask that you pay their costs.

Anyway read the threads fully and then decide.

All mortgage lenders do - it will be in the Mortgage Conditions document you should have been given when you received your mortgage offer originally. Doesnt matter if GMAC were the original lender - if they sold your mortgage as part of a mortgage book sale to West Brom then West Brom would have to adhere to those original mortgage terms as if they stood in GMAC's shoes.

You should be able to get a copy of GMACs terms and conditions from their website by going to this page Literature

Hope this helps :)

you really should have done your homework before taking this on.One of the CAG members got stung for around £7k legal fees when their ERC claim was thrown out of court.

You cannot split a claim for an ERC in any case even if it was a penalty.Zoot has explained why these would have to be claimed in their entirety....

I would negotiate a speedy exit from this claim,and ask West Brom to agree to drop all costs against you and see what happens

Hi thank you for responding but i think there is some confusion regarding my claim.

Firstly I haven't split the claim, the figure is what i think is owed. I have no need to split the claim and never intended to either. I haven't added interest ect either. All i have requested from West Brom is a 70% refund of what I paid - after all i had paid 34 and half months of the 36 month ERC term. All that was outstanding was 42 days of the ERC term when it was paid in full by the solicitor.

2nd I haven't made a claim as yet, this is why i wanted the advice, -hence the legal homework is being done and advice beign sort. I wanted to know what i was getting into before commitming myself to legal action.

All i have done so far is request a refund of monies i have paid. I have indocated that I am willing to take court action if neccesary but am open to negotiation.

What i am askign for is some advice on where I stand in regards to the fact that the ERC only had 42 days left and yet the company insisted on a full 6% ERC being paid - is there some legal argument i can use as unjust penatly/financial punishment?

Why is spilting the claim? I worked out what their interest would have been of the remained of the loan and then added a precentage on for admin costs. Surely spliting claims is when you claim one amount of money under 2 court claims???

I have been looking under GMAC T&C and i can't find a referrence to them having to pay court costs for this. There is reference to th mortgage holder being liable for courts costs/soclictors fees/.disbursements etc for reposession/recovery of debt, but nothing for defnding claims against unfair charges - which is my argument for the ERC. Am i readign this wrong or have i missed a section in the T&C????

I took advice yesterday erc is a no goer except in special circumstances some GMAC mortgages mine included has a clause that you can not pay erc if you give them 28 days notice , if you have had the mortgage for three years they took erc of us saying that we did not give them notice and I am fighting that saying that allthough we did not write a letter 28days before we redeemed we kept them informed. if you have no such cluase the advice I got was write ask threaten issue a summons if no go pull out some will get it some wont dont go any further there is no leg to stand on in court

Fab!

NatWest

Data Protection Act Letter - 06/08/2006

Statements rec'd 14/9/2006

Preliminary Letter sent - 27/9/06

LBA - 18/10/06

Claim with Court - 31/10/2006

Got until 14/11/06 to acknowledge.

7/11/06 Received ltr offering full settlement minus

interest + court costs

12/11/06 - Rejection sent

17/11/6006 - Natwest Acknowledged

4/12/06 - Rec'd Natwest Def (Cobbetts)

5/1206 - Rec'd partial offer (Cobbetts)

THE WOOLWICH

Data Protection Act Letter - 06/08/2006

List of charges rec'd - 04/9/2006

Prelimary Letter sent - 06/09/2006

Response - 'fully investigating' - 11/09/2006

Claim with Court - 20/10/06

Acknowledged - 20/10/2006

Defence by 17/11/2006

AQ to be returned - 11/12/2006

Court Date - 14/02/2007

**SETTLED IN FULL**

CAPITAL ONE

**SETTLED IN FULL** 3/11/06

Well Done!! This is great news.

This is the first time I have read this thread. I have to say your argument was quite strong in my opinion. You used your figures well and shown the mortgage company that you were being reasonable. They would not have paid such a sum out if they had thought you did not stand a chance in a civil court.

Having 42 days left of an ERC period and being chargeed the full amount was unreasonable and I think they thought they would get away with it......all other ERC claimants should take heed from this thread if they are in a similar position. If you have been charged a full amount so close to the end then you may just have a strong enough argument to follow this through.

Well done again for your perseverance!!

Dont forget to complete the survey http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/survey.php and maybe donate a small amount so we are able to keep helping those who need it! Apart from that treat yourself to something nice!!!!!