Doris vs Robert Sayle (John Lewis)

doris
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6565 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello

just thought i'd share the love with you all.

my dishwasher recently broke down (sob) and the repair man said that it would be £160 to fix it and that wouldn't be worth it.

it was 3 years old and cost £499. i was pretty gutted but resigned to getting a new one until someone suggested that i go back to robert sayle where i bought it (part of the john lewis chain).

first of all they gave me the flannel about it being out of the warranty, that i'd had the chance to buy the extended warranty but hadn't. i said i wanted them to fix it because 3 years was not an acceptable life for an expensive dishwasher. they said they'd speak to trading standards and get back to me.

so they offered to pay for half the cost of a repair, or £100 towards a new one. i spoke to trading standards myself and the very helpful lady told me that robert sayle should indeed pay 100% of the cost of fixing it under the sale of goods act. i duly phoned the shop back and told them that i wanted them to pay for the whole thing. they persisted for a while in offering me half and i said i'd take it to the small claims court as the law was on my side. they eventually backed down and are now going to pay for the full cost of the repair.

i'm really pleased, obviously, to have won this small victory (and to be able to stop washing up by hand!). but it's a real shock that the law is being so blatantly abused like this. if i hadn't stood my ground they would have tried to swindle me with the extended warranty c**p.

more power to sites like this which raise awareness.

doris