Data Protection Act charge info request

plasticpaddy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6295 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just phoned up First Direct and asked for:-

a) the rate card for charges (I couldn't find it on the site).

b) a list of my charges between Jan2000 and Dec2003 (I have the rest).

The FD guy didn't know anything and couldn't even find the info of charge costs on his own website, so a [free] leaflet of the fees is being sent in the post.

He also had to ask somebody else (his boss?) about my Data Protection request who replied by fobbing me off with the line that I would be charged for any "duplicate statement requests".

I argued that I was only requesting personal information as was my right under the Data Protection Act and that they couldn't charge me for that info and that this was NOT a request for duplicate statements.

They disagreed and told me to write into Customer Services and complain. So here is the draft of my letter:-

---------------------------------------------

Customer Relations Manager

first direct

40 Wakefield Road

Leeds

LS98 1FD

Data Protection Act disclosure request

ACCOUNT NUMBER:

Sort Code:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Please supply me with a list of bank charges applied to my bank account between January 2000 and December 2003. This should include all occasions where I have been charged for exceeding an overdraft limit and/or excess overdraft limit, for ‘bouncing’ a cheque and for the failure of a direct debit or standing order.

You have, according to the rules of the Data Protection Act as I have been advised of them, a period of 40 days in which to both acknowledge and act upon this request

Please not this is NOT a request for duplicate statements or correspondence of any sort. But a request for personal information (in the form of charges) only, and therefore under the provisions of the Act I cannot be charged for this service.

----------------------

More later.

Sorry but they can charge you upto a maximum of £10

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

First Direct have just told me they are not obligated to give me this info.

I told them under the Data Protection Act that they are. Am now awaiting a call from a 'team leader'.

Obviously if they still refuse I will compain to the Information Commissioner’s Office.

An application form for this information has been sent to me in the post.

First Direct have confirmed the cost is £10, which is the maximum (suprise suprise) they can charge.

Have doublechecked that they are not also trying to charge me for the application form as well!!

More later

Just went along to a local HSBC branch and innocently asked for a printout of my statements. They replied they' could charge "£1 a page" but usually do it for free....

However I had to get First Direct to contact the branch directly so I could be identified properly (HSBC don't have my security details).

On Monday I'll pick up a copy of all my old statements for no cost.

This means I save the £10 Data Protection Act request fee as well as up to 40 days in time.

BTW a colleague of mine who is a HSBC customer went to another local branch and they printed out six years of his statements straight away. And again for free.

• 11 months later...

I went to the Tsb on Friday and requested details of all charges on my account from Feb 01 to Dec 02 (that is when I closed my account), I was charged the maximum fee of £10 and was told the information would be forwarded to me.

I also went to Nationwide (I currently bank with them) and requested details of all charges on my account since it opened in Oct 02 I handed them my request letter and £10 fee and was told there was no charge for a printout of my charges, I asked the girl if she was absolutely certain and she said we charge for duplicate statements but not for a copy of a printout showing charges, she gave me back my £10. Is this a stalling procedure and will they ask at a later date for my £10 and start the 40 day response date start from then?

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support their.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6295 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks