• Tweets

• Thanks for your prompt reply. I have some questions, please: When you say nothing will happen, my 80 year-old mother is worried about potential DCA doorsteppers if/when the debts are sold on - she is a very sweet, quite vulnerable lady and she is worried she may be bullied and harrassed.  If they do come knocking, what should she say?  I told her to say she knows nothing about any of it and they have no right to come knocking on her door and to warn them police will be informed if they come back.  Problem is, I don't think she would be strong enough and can easily be bullied into saying more than she intended once the door has been answered. Next questions: 1)  Should I inform all my lenders that I have moved abroad before defaulting (to avoid the quirky English law loophole thingy that could end up in a CCJ or worse once a DCA gets hold of it)?  2)  Can/should I provide an alternative UK correspondence address to my lenders instead of my mother's home address e.g. my virtual office address for my business - would the lenders accept this as I live abroad now and don't live at my mother's address?  Can I just write and tell them, without any further ado and not get into any further questions about it and cease further correspondence with them and default?  And would this stop DCAs coming to my mother's house as it would not be my current residential address on the lenders files when passed to the DCA?  Do they doorstep previous addresses? 3)  If I don't provide a UK correspondence address will I be at risk of not being aware of any Letters of Claim etc and legal proceedings notices etc not reaching me (there's no reliable postal system in the developing country I've moved to).  Worried this would mean I could end up being taken to court without being aware of it and could end up in a worse situation. 2) What exactly will go on my credit file once I've defaulted, assuming no legal action is taken against me?    4) Should I contact any of my lenders and inform them I have zero assets.  TSB & Sainsburys already have I&E info from me which shows my income  @ £1200/mth is below the combined total of my debt repayments @ £1300/mth and that my income only just covers essential costs of living @ £1200/mth.  Could it be useful to be on my file that I have no assets, so that the DCA clearly see this when the debt is passed to them? Thanks again for any advice.
    • paypal, but i would like to know if anyone knows if there is a certain time limit they have to refund you? thanks
    • Dear lookinforinfo, I'm sorry if I seem stupid, but what exactly am I telling them? -what code/ law / standard have they broken that I will use as an argument in letter? I don't understand the premise of your argument.  I would appreciate it if you could explain it to me clearly and in simple terms so that I understand.  Thank you   
    • Fraudsters copy the details of firms we authorise to try and convince people that their firm is genuine. Find out why you shouldn’t deal with this clone firm.View the full article
    • Agreed, let them default. Keep everything in writing, if they ring to discuss the accounts over the phone, simply say 'everything in writing please', and hang up. They'll soon get the message. Get all of your paperwork in order too, if you haven't got any, or are missing relevant documents, then you can SAR the original creditor, which is free and they have 30 days to supply the info. Keep a diary of events too. sit back and relax, YOU'RE in control, not them.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

my charges are high - am I doing it right?

hot mamma
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6234 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I've been looking on this site for a few weeks now and through extremely good advice from the people on here I found the courage to take on the demons @ HSBC.

I got all my charges off the internet site, calculated them plus the interest - not the 8% yet!, and sent my premlim letter off, waited 14 days and sent my LBA letter off weds, ironically I received a letter from Mr Langdale yesterday saying they were looking into it! - Yeah whatever I thought!,

Now after continually reading everyone else's threads I'm worrying because when I calculated all the charges plus the interest in came to 5335.00,

I haven't seen anyone else's that high - unless I've just missed it, but I'm sure that I've read on here somewhere that if the charges are over 5K then the procedure is slightly different.

So now I am worrying that I have done something wrong somewhere along the line!!! any info would be greatly appreciated.:|

Are you claiming contractual interst or have you calculated the overdraft interest on your charges?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

You can't claim all of the o/d interest, but if you have used one of the advance spreadsheets from the bank templates library it would have proportioned the interest relating to the charges.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

Hi hot mamma,

There are loads of people on the site who are above the £5K limit. Best thing to do once you sent all your letters to the bank e.g. initial asking for money back letter, LBA etc and have had a firm refusal for the amount you want the bank to pay back is complain to the financial ombudsman (as your over £5K). They will persue your claim for you and by doing this you bypass the court system. Click on the link here Financial Ombudsman Service if you want to find out more about it.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• Haha 1

Thanks alot Jowalshy, it tells me exactly what I needed to know, looks as though the fees for pursuing it are 750.00, so I might have to take rory's advice and go through the financial ombudsman! I was getting a sense of achievement doing it myself though.

hot mamma make sure you don't split the claim as it is on one account. The courts now are generally not entertaining more than one small claims on an account as it is seen as a breach of procedure. They used to allow it but I guess with the amount of people now claiming back charges they've had to put their foot down.

Although the ombudsman is free I thoroughly sympathies with your sentiments......is far more satisfying to nail the barstewards yourself.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

i'm sure you did it correctly - but just to make for sure postively - when you did the advanced s/s - and you put on the interest debits - the s/s should have picked up on the running total either some, all or none of each debit - depending on whether you were in plus or minus balance at the time of each charge - if that's what it did - then - you have done it correctly.

take a look at nettyg's thread - her's was over 5k and she got hers with a minimum of fuss.

i know it's a higher filing fee - but you get it back - through the claim.

it would be 750 well spent to get you that other money back -

the fact that it is only just over the 5k means it would be fine claiming through mcol (even though the 8% will bump it up more).

take a look at the mcol site - you can log in now while waiting for the 14 days to pass and play with it - getting it all ready to go. then when the time is right - you will only need to pay and submit.

i'll send you my particulars to use as an example.

also, this site is spot on:Getting MCOL Right

Rory,

I kind of guessed it wouldn't be a good idea to split it and as I have already sent my LBA off didn't think I'd be able to.

Not Quite sure what I will do at the moment, ombudsman says you have to give them 8 weeks from prelim letter.I'm gonna have a look around a bit more and get some more info in the mean time.

Thanks for your support!

Thanks Lateralus,

I thought I might have a look on MCOL, and I did have a brief look at your link on someone elses thread this morning I'll have a proper good look at it all, as for the interest that is exactly what i did so that's re-assuring to know! and I'll try and find nettyg's thread I must have missed that one!

Thanks Again.

My god!!! you weren't joking I've been here all day nearly reading netty's thread, but well worth it!

Thanks so much lattie, I was about to hand it over to the ombudsman this morning but after reading that it's given me the confidence to follow it through myself, here I go!!!!! - I must take my kids out now they are climbing the walls poor little rugrats!!

Thanks again.

good evening hot mamma!! i hope my thread didn't induce you into a coma lol. i was really happy that my claim went over the 5k mark - justice for making my life a misery. i found the whole claiming business daunting at first because it was such a large claim, but then i got hooked and this poor site has to put up with my nonsense ever since lol.

the 5k limit is not set in concrete and i wouldn't hesitate in putting it through the small claims track on mcol if it were over - at the end of the day it will be the judge that decides which track to allocate the claim to. it will cost you £250 on mcol. (£750 quoted earlier would be for fast track).

once you get your teeth into the process, i'm sure you'll be like me and end up being totally hooked and helping others too. i hold full responsibility for your children's neglect!! if you read my thread from start to finish (in a day wow), your'e good, even i can't do that lol.

very good luck with your claim and if you need to shout - shout!! we're all here to hear you xx

If i've been helpful in any way....then tip my scales over there!

Hi Netty, it was well worth the time and energy to read it - I have to admit I didn't read all the way to the end my eyes felt like they were on springs! and I did manage to feed a baby, change his nappy put him back down for a sleep and get the other two their lunch before they starved to death whilst reading it all, multitasking is what I think it is called! lol!!

I am hooked already! and now can't wait to get into it, it makes me really angry when I think back to how at times we've really struggled because of them:mad: .

Thanks for your words of wisdom! and trust me I shall shout!!!!

yes... i know - i'll be charged for eye tests soon because of my thread lol. but if you read as much as you can when you put baby down for a nap, it's the key to understanding. there are some fantastic people on this site who'll be with you every step of the way til the day the cheque drops on your doomat - and beyond. and what a lovely feeling that is!!

any question you have will be answered by somebody who knows - which is really comforting when you think you're alone against the 'big boys'.

If i've been helpful in any way....then tip my scales over there!

Netty, Size isn’t everything as you have proved twice

Hot we are here for you if you want to ask anything, someone is normally about to help you and there is nothing we like better than another claim emptying HSBC’s vaults of their ill gotten gains, the bigger the claim the better

pete

that's the beauty of this site - newcomers become old-timers in no time at all.

pete, netty, pink duchess seem to take care of the night shift (so if you are doing a nightime feed and feel the urge...)

givememymoney is always on call,

oyster and jo are coming along nicely as are lots of others for helpfulness.

crusher just lurks and pounces when the time is right,

and i pop in and out when my schedule allows...........

i do wonder about the poor peeps who start with moneysavingexpert.com (lord love martyn - i think he's brill!but....) as the advice on that site leaves some in a bit of a confused state. and all the peeps who try to go it on their own..... must be oh so daunting..... but here, you are among friends and we will help you all we can.