Euro Car Parks - 'Unpaid parking charge notice'

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5089 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All

I've just registered on the forum.

This is my first posting.

I received a letter from Euro Car Parks dated 10th April 2007 stating that as the registered keeper I am liable for paying a 'Parking Charge Notice'. The notice relates to a 'Contravention' of parking in a disabled bay in Clapham Sainsburys on 30th Jan 2007. The are demanding £70 plus admin charges.

The receipt of the letter was the first I knew about this.

I was at work on that date and didn't drive the car.

Partner says she did drive the car on that date as she used it for her work but has no idea if she did or did not visit Sainsburys on that date.

We are not aware of ever receiving the notice. Neither my partner or I have seen the Notice.

I have spoken to ECP on the phone and explained that their letter is my first awareness of this situation. They have said I should write in and contest the ticket.

I have spoken to Sainsburys store manager who made some conciliatory noises be ultimately took the view that if a ticket had been issued there must have been a justified reason and that ECP employees were 100% honest and had no reason to issue tickets falsely and if we didn't see the ticket it must be our oversight.

Can anyone advise me on how I should proceed with this?

ECP have given me 14-days grace to write to them to explain.

I would say in a case like this where they may have made a mistake, it is worth writing to them once and setting out what happened as you have above, but don't plead or ask for understanding, just invite them to cancel it based on the facts.

If they don't proceed as normal, ignore further letters from them and respond only to debt collectors or court action.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

Thanks Zamzarra,

Re: "If they don't proceed as normal, ignore further letters from them and respond only to debt collectors or court action."

But thats exactly what I dont want to happen - (ie hand over to debt collectors) as non payment to them can result in messing up my credit rating, so what do I do if ECP hand over the case?

As I understand it, non payment of debt collectors will only affect your credit rating if they have been to court and had the court agree that a debt is outstanding and a CCJ is issued which you then don't pay. However, they would have to prove in court that there is a debt which they can't do if the issue is in dispute. Once debt collectors write to you, write back tell them it is in dispute and they should return it to the parking company. I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct me.

If a DCA gets in touch with you, all you need to do is send a letter stating that the account is in dispute and that they need to refer it back to their employer (Euro Car Parks). As Andy says quite correctly, they would have to prove in court that not only were you the driver on that day, but that you agreed to a contract - and even if they could do that (which they can't) then they can only charge you their genuine losses from your alleged breach of contract - nowhere near the "£70 plus admin charges" they talk about. As I said above, read the advice paper that I posted a link to. It's all laid out for you in there.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

• 3 years later...
Hello All

I've just registered on the forum.

This is my first posting.

I received a letter from Euro Car Parks dated 10th April 2007 stating that as the registered keeper I am liable for paying a 'Parking Charge Notice'. The notice relates to a 'Contravention' of parking in a disabled bay in Clapham Sainsburys on 30th Jan 2007. The are demanding £70 plus admin charges.

The receipt of the letter was the first I knew about this.

I was at work on that date and didn't drive the car.

Partner says she did drive the car on that date as she used it for her work but has no idea if she did or did not visit Sainsburys on that date.

We are not aware of ever receiving the notice. Neither my partner or I have seen the Notice.

I have spoken to ECP on the phone and explained that their letter is my first awareness of this situation. They have said I should write in and contest the ticket.

I have spoken to Sainsburys store manager who made some conciliatory noises be ultimately took the view that if a ticket had been issued there must have been a justified reason and that ECP employees were 100% honest and had no reason to issue tickets falsely and if we didn't see the ticket it must be our oversight.

Can anyone advise me on how I should proceed with this?

ECP have given me 14-days grace to write to them to explain.

I think Morrisons is an excellent place to shop. Sod Sainsburys.

I think Morrisons is an excellent place to shop. Sod Sainsburys.

You proceed by placing it in the bottom of a deep drawer that you rarely need to use, thereby it will never see the light of day again. Then you move on with your life and completely forget about it, only getting a small reminder when you have a need to add another bit of scrap paper from ECP that needs placing in the same drawer.

After that, take felix's advice and find your nearest Morrisons or Asda. :)