• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Spiritgirl -v- Various DCAs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5820 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Spiritgirl

As they have not been able to produce the CCA and have defaulted themselves as well as having committed a summary offence, then they have no authority to chase you for this debt nor do they have the authority to place defaults on your CRA.

Everything to TS would be in order I think.

dencha

Hi guys

Creation have now produced the Agreement, and also sent me a Default Notice by separate post! :(

I propose to S.A.R. them now and see what the charges are. I have a feeling the charges may add up to MORE than I actually owe them :???:

I certainly dispute what they are saying I owe them in total.

In the Default Notice they have advised that if I don't pay off the debt in full within the next 2 weeks they will continue to add interest the cheeky bar stewards :evil: If I S.A.R. them the account is in dispute, right? So would they be breaking the law if they started "enforcement action" as they state in the Default Notice?

Dencha and Rory thanks for your previous posts. I can't really report them now they have sent the properly executed agreement - I just wish they had done it when they were first written to as it would have saved all this ruddy hassle :(

Spiritgirl x

Please note I am not legally qualified, I am offering advice based on my own personal experience in the hope that it may be of help to others in a similar situation.

Well we are now in the land of does the copy of the agreement they have sent you conform to The Consumer Credit Act 1974? You are assuming that it does - most don't.

If you can scan it post it so we can have a look.

If you want to send them a SAR ensure you put THIS ACCOUNT IS NOW IN DISPUTE. at the top of it. Once the account is in dispute they can not lawfully take action against you. If they were to take action you could have the case thrown out.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hiya Rory

I don't have a scanner unfortunately.

It appears to have all the information required on it, having read what others have said on here about what consists of a proper agreement, and bearing in mind some of the rubbish I've already received from others I've CCA'd!

This has terms and conditions on and is properly signed, dated etc.

I will go down the route of the S.A.R. I think. Thanks for the tip about putting "this account is in dispute" on the letter. As I said in my last post I really do think by the time the charges have been taken off I won't owe them hardly anything as the debt is only a few hundred pounds.

Spiritgirl x

Please note I am not legally qualified, I am offering advice based on my own personal experience in the hope that it may be of help to others in a similar situation.

Hiya SG,

I still think there would be benefit in us looking at the copy they have sent you

Do you have a digital camera you could use to take a photo of it and upload (not ideal but if good enough quality it may help!)

NcF

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

Hi NcF

Sorry not to get back to you before now on this, I've been in bed as I have flu :(

Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera either (not very technological at our house LOL). I did have a go with my mobile phone camera but it wouldn't show up the writing on the agreement.

Not to worry I do think this one does have all it needs when I've compared it to the others I've received. Its not as in depth as the A&L one which was perfect IMO, but its got terms and conditions etc., which none of the others had on them and its properly signed, dated etc.

I do appreciate all your help guys. Back off to bed now to curl up with a hot water bottle.

Spiritgirl x

Thats cool, if you are happy with it

Get well soon spirit, no doubt you will be up and fighting backs again very soon

:D

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

Thanks ncf - I feel a bit better today have been up and about a bit, but it doesn't half take it out of you :(

Hubby posted the S.A.R. letter for me recorded delivery to which I added "this account is now in dispute" as per Rory's advice (thanks Rory).

They are so stupid I wouldn't be surprised if they DID still try to take action, and if they do I will be ready for them! I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again

Spiritgirl x

Hiya friends

I received an absolute corker of a letter from Link today and have quoted the ridiculous contents of it in my proposed response to them. Can someone have a look over this before I send it in case I've omitted anything or said it incorrectly?

These are the idiots who, following my CCA, sent back my postal order with a standard letter saying it would cost me £5 to obtain the CCA information which they "may" be able to find from the original lender (load of jackson pollocks!).

Not sure about my last paragraph re legal proceedings :confused: I don't want to make empty threats and am not sure how I would go about it??? Should I leave that bit out do you think??? Have omitted dates on here in case they are looking in.;)

Spiritgirl x

Dear Sirs

Link Ref: XXXX

I refer to your letter dated XXX and am frankly amazed by its contents.

You state:

“You have recently requested information from a member of our team. We always endeavour to supply the information our customers require but do ask that all requests are made in writing to the address above. A fee may be charged to your account to cover any costs associated with fulfilling such a request but we will write and notify you of any such fee”

I refer you to my letter dated XXXX 2007.

In that letter I made a formal request for a copy of the signed, fully executed credit agreement for the above numbered account under section 77(1) and section 78(1) of the Consumer Credit Act. In addition a statement of my account should have been sent along with any other document mentioned in the credit agreement.

The Consumer Credit Act allows 12 working days for this request to be carried out before your company enter into a default situation. If the request is not satisfied after a further 30 calendar days, Your company commits an offence. These time limits expired on XXXX 2007 and XXXX 2007 respectively.

As you are no doubt aware subsection (6) states:

If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1)—

(a) He is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement; and

(b) If the default continues for one month he commits an offence.

Therefore as at XXXX 2007 this account became unenforceable at law and it is now my intention to refer this matter to the enforcement authorities.

Any default notices or adverse comments your company have recorded on my credit reference file should be immediately removed.

Since you have no executed agreement I insist that you confirm that the balance on the alleged account is set to zero, or else I will report you to the OFT for non-compliance and a likely penalty of £2500. Once the OFT have prosecuted I will request that you are not fit to hold a licence under CCA and request its removal.

Failure to respond favourably to this letter within seven (7) days of receipt could result in legal proceedings being commenced against your company.

Yours faithfully

Spiritgirl

Oh almost forgot, they are harrassing me by phone again so is there something I can add to this letter about that as well guys???

Thanks x

Oh almost forgot, they are harrassing me by phone again so is there something I can add to this letter about that as well guys???

Thanks x

Brilliant letter !!!!

Can I edit this towards my letter to these clowns today?

They really know how to be useless in there don't they?

Hi Spirit,

see comments in red below (usual 'dont take my word as gospel' caveats apply!! ;-)

Quote:

Dear Sirs

Link Ref: XXXX

I refer to your letter dated XXX and am frankly amazed by its contents.

You state:

“You have recently requested information from a member of our team. We always endeavour to supply the information our customers require but do ask that all requests are made in writing to the address above. A fee may be charged to your account to cover any costs associated with fulfilling such a request but we will write and notify you of any such fee”

I refer you to my letter dated XXXX 2007.

In that letter I made a formal request for a copy of the signed, fully executed credit agreement for the above numbered account under section 77(1) and section 78(1) of the Consumer Credit Act. In addition a statement of my account should have been sent along with any other document mentioned in the credit agreement.

At the time of the section 77(1) / section 78(1) request, I included the statutory fee for such a request of £1 - this fee was returned by you, requesting payment of £5 for the provision of my request - this amount exceeding the maximum fee laid down by parliament by £4.

The Consumer Credit Act allows 12 working days for this request to be carried out before your company enter into a default situation. If the request is not satisfied after a further 30 calendar days, Your company commits an offence. These time limits expired on XXXX 2007 and XXXX 2007 respectively.

As you are no doubt aware subsection (6) states:

If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1) —

(a) He is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement; and

(b) If the default continues for one month he commits an offence.

Therefore as at XXXX 2007 this account became unenforceable at law and it is now my intention to refer this matter to the enforcement authorities.

Any default notices or adverse comments your company have recorded on my credit reference file should be immediately removed as such data is wholly inaccurate and in contravention of schedule 1, Part I (4) of the Data Protection Act 1998 ("DPA 1998") "Personal data shall be accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date"

Failure to remove the offending data will result in court action under Section 14 of the DPA 1998 to obtain a court order for the destruction of said data and compensation under Section 13 of the DPA 1998 .

Since you have no executed agreement I insist that you confirm that the balance on the alleged account is set to zero, or else I will report you to the OFT for non-compliance and a likely penalty of £2500. Once the OFT have prosecuted I will request that you are not fit to hold a licence under CCA and request its removal.

Failure to respond favourably to this letter within seven (7) days of receipt could result in legal proceedings being commenced against your company, including action under Section 3 of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 for your continued harassment via telephone and letter for repayment of a debt you have no legal right of enforcement for.

Yours faithfully

Spiritgirl

Hope this is of some help

NcF

Oh - I take it you still have the letter requesting the £5?

The courts would love to see that

as such data is wholly inaccurate and in contravention of schedule 1, Part I (4) of the Data Protection Act 1998 ("Data Protection Act 1998") "Personal data shall be accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date"

Failure to remove the offending data will result in court action under Section 14 of the Data Protection Act 1998 to obtain a court order for the destruction of said data and compensation under Section 13 of the DPA 1998 .

You may also wish to report them to the ICO.

hi spirit,

fancy link being dumb again???

i havent been around for a while but maybe my thread will help you with link, sorry i didn't see this sooner.

check out my thread caa requests not provided,help please

and go to post 69 you will see the letter i sent to link and who i reported them too, (sorry its a long one) but you will see i mention to them about recording their phone calls to me after they have been told not to ring me, i think this has worried them :p

then in post 71 you will see my reply from them, actually apologising for their stupidity and bullying.

since then i have not heard a peep out of them, by letter or telephone.

good luck with this shower and i hope my letters will be helpful to you :)

Oh - I take it you still have the letter requesting the £5?

The courts would love to see that

Hi again friends

Yes ncf I certainly DO still have the letter with my £1 postal order stapled to it by that incompetent shower! Its a corker of a letter in itself, not only does it ask for a fiver for the information under the CCA but it says that Sections 77 and 78 of the CCA 1974 DO NOT APPLY to the account - I quote:

"Sections 77 and 78 only apply to "matters arising during the currency of agreements". Since the agreement relating to your account has been terminated (for non payment) the agreement is no longer "current"

What bull***...so in other words it doesn't apply but to make it apply it will cost me a fiver! :lol:

Thank you for your help with my letter, its really appreciated x

Rory I shall put in the letter about the ICO as well, thank you x

Winny, I shall have a good read of your thread too.

Spiritgirl x

courtesy of tifo...

I may also pass the matter to the relevant enforcement authorities including, but not limited to, the OFT, the Information Commissioners Office, Trading Standards, the CSA, the FOS and my local MP.

Hi again guys

Alliance & Leicester are now kicking off again :mad: I accept they have supplied me with a properly executed agreement; they are the only ones who have! I have an arrangement with them until July to pay £1 per month and you may recall recently they were threatening legal proceedings so I wrote to them and reminded them of the arrangement. I also sent them an S.A.R.

Today I've received a snotty 4 line letter from them which says :-

"Your account is now being considered for legal action. You obviously have no intention of trying to resolve this matter and you have therefore left us no option. Please note that legal proceedings may now be issued against you without further reference and costs will be added to your debt".

I've checked track and trace and they received my letters on 16th May (the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request), and the one reminding them of the arrangement we have till July).

I propose to send the following letter to them by recorded delivery. Surely they cannot take action now I have sent them an S.A.R - (Subject Access Request). It is THEY who are being unreasonable, and I feel this is because I intend to reclaim charges, what do you think? :evil: Is this letter ok?

Spiritgirl x

I am in receipt of your letter dated XXXX 2007 wherein you state “Your account is now being considered for legal action. You obviously have no intention of trying to resolve this matter and you have therefore left us no option”.

May I draw your attention to my letters sent to you by Recorded Delivery on 15th May and signed for by your firm on 16th May.

I am therefore astonished at your comments in your letter of XXXX May, as it should be abundantly clear to you that I am trying to resolve this matter. Indeed, I am waiting for you to respond to my Subject Access Request.

Please note any legal proceedings you commence will be vigorously defended and I shall show the Court by my correspondence to you that I am acting totally within the law regarding this account, and it is yourselves who are being unreasonable.

Yours faithfully

Sounds good to me sprit. I cannot remember reading about this, but what happens after the july period, regarding the £1 payment you have been sending to them. From memory, in previous cases, it is reviewd again after a period of say 6 months, will this happen to you?, or will they now say, right times up, start paying the full balance?

Once again apologies if this has been answered already, only with reading x amount of posts, its difficult to keep track on all threads, and whats not / been said.

be safe

nige aka jgg

when my arrangement finished earlier this year they automatically started to add on the interest etc again. I sent in a budget sheet showing incmoings and outgoings, (updated one previously prepared for me by the CCCS) and actually managed to get a new arrangement with lower payments reduced from £60 per motnh to 45 on one account and £30 to £15 on the other., and also got the interest refunded for the two months they started to charge it again

Hiya nige

Yes under normal circumstances they would review the account every 6 months as they have been doing for the past few years; however I honestly think they will ask for full repayment in July because I feel they are peeved now because I have had the audacity to S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) them.

The thing is I know for a fact there are a lot of charges added to this account and I want to get these deducted. I will be in a position to make an offer of repayment to them which is more than £1 per month (bearing in mind most of the others I have CCAd have now defaulted so I am not paying them anything) BUT before I do, surely it is my lawful right to find out exactly what the actual "debt" is minus all the charges which is why I am so incensed at their latest letter :mad:

If they do commence legal proceedings now I intend to make the Court aware of the fact that (a) they have an agreement till July and (b) in my opinion they are being totally unreasonable as I am requesting what is my lawful right under the CCA, i.e., the SAR.

Does this make sense?

Spiritgirl x

Makes perfect sense. Their failure to supply the CCA (if they produced it in court they would have to explain why they had not disclosed it to you) and subsequent default means they should not now be charging any interest on the account.

You can not take someone to court when the amount owing is in dispute. Well you can if you want the case thrown out.

Hi spirit, many thanks for clearing that up for me :)..

One idea springs to mind, if they do decide to take you to court, have you considered asking the court for a stay. Basically saying, they cant have their monies, until they give you the information i have requested, ie the sar. As this will drastically reduce the amount they are chasing.

In my way of thinking the courts should allow this, as part of your defense.

Im sure if im wrong in my assumptions, someone will quickly come back and tell me lol

be safe

nige :)