Talk Talk

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6250 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Anyone any ideas on this one? I seem to remember that ofcom (I think) brought out a new ruling that ISP's cannot now withold mac codes. I did not cancel broadband with them, they restricted my service due to a dispute over a telephone bill.

subjectTalkTalk memoDear Mr X,

Thank you for your e-mail. I have investigated the matter on your behalf and can confirm that a request can be made to disconnect your services which will generate the Migration Authorisation Code (MAC) requested. A MAC normally takes five days to generate and will be sent to you via e-mail.

Before I place a request for your MAC code, I have to advise that a £70 cessation fee will be applied due to the fact that you are in an 18-month contract and you have decided to terminate this contract prematurely. Please confirm that you would still like to cancel your account. I hope you have found this information useful.

If you have any general landline queries, please call TalkTalk Customer Services on 0870 444 1820.

For technical queries, please contact Broadband Technical Support on 0871 226 7146. Calls to this number are charged at 10 pence per minute (call charges may vary from mobile phones and other telecom operators).

Both of these numbers can become busy during peak periods and TalkTalk apologises for any inconvenience caused by the delays.

Yours sincerely,

John Hamalienko

TalkTalk Correspondence Department

But they're not withholding the MAC - they've made it quite clear that you can have your MAC in five days if you cancel your service. They also point out that as per your agreement you will be charged £70 for breaching the 18 month contract.

I don't see the issue here; cancel the contract, take the MAC, get new broadband.

Then challenge the £70 cancellation fee and don't pay it as a disproportionate penalty - they should either demonstrate how it costs them that much (and you'll happily pay it) or they should write it off. If they take you to court over it, defend the case in much the same way as you would prosecute your bank charges claim.