Ntl Complaints

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6207 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Having been a customer of BT for over 25 years when I moved I thoughts I'd take money management and save money with NTL.

When I took on the service I was assured that in the case that I moved I would not be held to the years contract if it wasnt possible for any reason (including moving into temp accommodation) I would not be held to the 1 years contract and there would be no penalties. This was important as I only had a 6 month rental agreement and was getting married to an Australian and may move countries.

Away its now 8 months on and I am moving due to the landlady needing to sell, I am moving in with friends and the short term and so have no need for the NTL line. When I contacted them to disconnect they informed me I was liable for the year and that I could if I wanted to have a refund from them for the remainder 3 months when I would not be using the service for up to 2 years when I reconnected with them. I was extremely annoyed and when I asked for the name of the person who sold me the line was told that there isnt that information available and I would never have been told this. So he was basically calling me a liar. He then went on to say that I should record conversations with people so I would have proof. I asked him to hold a second whilst I started to record our conversation at which point he said I am putting you through to customer services and our conversation is over.

When he put me through after holding for about 15 mins the lady at the other end was extremely unhelpful and would not pass me on to her manager and gave me a nameless customer complaint address to write to.

I believe they have mis-sold me the service and have complained to Ofcom.

Speaking at 3 other people who have taken on services with Ntl now Virginmedia - I was informed all had an issue and have moved to BT.

These involved:

- being disconnected whilst on calls

- trying to get through in the first place often 15- 20 mins waiting time

- being hung up on

- rude and unhelpful staff

I have had all the above problems in the past, but given this issue now have decided that under no circumstances will I use NTL in the future.

Can anyone who has had isssues reply, it would perhaps help resolve this one.

Thanks

Well, it's all Virgin now. The 12 month minimum contract is standard (unless you were on a 'student' deal which covers a reduced period) this can be useful as you could try to get them to put you on this and reduce the minimum term. Of all the complaints you mentioned, NTL/Virgin don;t have a monopoly on bad service or rude staff, so there's little point in making a declaration of unhappiness, you've only got 2 choices (1 if you live in Hull) so there's not much anyone can do.

As to your minimum term assurance, can you back this up in any way? Or did you note this when you returned the signed contract? IF you did, there is no problem, refer them to it. IF you didn't, then you agreed to their terms, irrespective of what the salesman said on the phone (unless you recorded it).

The twelve months contracts are worthless, I found success with well I'm leaving on X date so if you want the box etc...

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

Hi purplekim

"when I asked for the name of the person who sold me the line was told that there isnt that information available and I would never have been told this"

Being an ex NTL employee (Networks thank god, not CS) the amount of times customers complained about this very same thing that happened to you is scary!

Sales think they're a law unto themsleves and will tell you anything you want to hear if it gets them a sale and thus commission!

However, as for there being no record of the salesperson, what a load of bull! They will be a footprint in whichever billing system you're on left by the salesperson!

Now if its the DTV service you're trying to cancel you may be in luck. Since Virgin Media (NTL/Telewest rebranded) have dropped certain SKy channels I believe you can quote the T & C and get out of the contract penalty free..

Read through some of the threads here for more info: Cable Forum

Buzby you miss my point! first of indebtstudent is far from my name or a description of my circumstances. It's a name which bears no relation for the simple reason that I do not wish to be identified being a Nationwide employee and all.

My point was that the whole 12 month contract line is, when questioned, a load of rubbish. They insist YOU MUST pay but if you stand your ground they back down. It's a little like banks selling stuff to people and capitalising on thier ignorance of the way financial products work.

Furthermore in this case the member contends that she is mislead which gives even more reason to be firm with them as it is hardly her fault.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

However, as for there being no record of the salesperson, what a load of bull! They will be a footprint in whichever billing system you're on left by the salesperson!

I do believe they meant the information was available, but the information would not be disclosed to the customer. My NTL SAR had all the name details blanked off so I could not identify staff directly, with others it was a reference code that identified the agent, so should further identification be required, then Virgin would be in a position to pursue the matter, so it really isnt a 'big' deal.

My point was that the whole 12 month contract line is, when questioned, a load of rubbish.

I can;t see why you feel this is the case - the contract is clearly for 12 months minimum term, it always has been. Negotiation may be possible, but it at the discretion of the company and not a 'right', so bearing in mind the horrors if these casual 'defaults', it is better not to play fast an loose. As to it being mis-sold - then evidence that the OP didn't enter into a 12 month contract would been to be proffered in support of the assertion - surely that would be easy enough?

I can;t see why you feel this is the case - the contract is clearly for 12 months minimum term, it always has been.

If I cancel during the first 12 months, I'm not paying them for the remainder. Look at it the other way - if they decided to withdraw service during the first 12 months, they wouldn't pay me for the remaining months, so I don't see why I should pay them.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

Makes me wonder why you'd agree to a contract if you've no intention of keeping to your agreement. Following this logic I suppose you feel a Marriage Contract can be treated with the same disregard?

That is a question you should be asking VM, not me. For the last three months, they've been billing me for a service they've not provided. When I pull out in June, it will be they who pay me for the outstanding period, if at all.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

Virgin lets customers out of contracts

Virgin lets customers out of contracts

''Another report on this subject''

Virgin Media will allow customers in to cease subscribing to the company's services and switch to another provider even if they are locked into a contract.

The announcement comes after the National Consumer Council, which has statutory powers to alert regulators to issues it deems to be contrary to the interests of consumers, threatened to intervene in the ongoing carriage dispute between Virgin and Sky. This afternoon, Virgin said that it "strongly" agreed with the NCC's assertion that "there are flaws in the UK pay TV market which are harming the interests of consumers," and added that "an investigation is warranted."

The company emphasised that "the withdrawal of Sky's basic channels does not breach our agreement with customers" but said that it will allow customers to cancel their contracts "at any time up to the end of March."

"Virgin Media wants to do the right thing by its customers and resolve this dispute, as well as its underlying causes," said Virgin Media CEO Steve Burch. "We think our customers will quickly recognise that the improvements we've recently made to our TV service, together with other exciting enhancements we've got in the pipeline, make Virgin Media's TV service the most comprehensive and exciting in the UK. Over the next month, however, if they don't agree, we will not use technical legalities to stand in the way of them switching to another service. Among both our customers and the public as a whole, we believe there is a significant groundswell of support for our decision to stand up to Sky: we are determined to ensure it is the customer that benefits from our determination to do so."

Virgin have also announced that a "major movie promotion" will be made available to existing TV customers "to address any concern over the loss of Sky's channels."

Hi all, not got much time so ill give you your answer and my story as quick as poss.

~NTL

signed up with ntl, explained im on a 6 month rental agreement so i may be moving, they said it was fine i can take it with me free, i explained i may be moving to a non ntl cabled area they said then the contract will be cancelled. anyways i moved got chased for £180 6 months contract for ever and a day, nobody would help just got passed person to person

anyway how i sorted it. on the back of the bill is a number for ofcom i phoned and told my problem they gave me an address to write to, i didnt bother just phoned back a couple of weeks later and told them id had no reply the lady at ofcom gave me a magic super customer complaints number for ntl where i got straight to a lady who said "o yeah your right , there you go ive credited your account with £180 you dont owe anything any more bye" sorted

"My point was that the whole 12 month contract line is, when questioned, a load of rubbish."

Who cares if I'm depending on thier goodwill? The point is if you insist they give in.

Re above post I believe that offer ran out at the end of March. Trouble is people like me have been too busy to contact them but then I don't want to leave anyway.

Anyway we have highlighted another get out say you're moving to another area where you cannot get thier services.

• 3 weeks later...

Development: Turns out the reason I was getting silly error messages from my Vbox is because my account has been in arrears for four months (with a current balance of over £60CREDIT), and they have decided to terminate my service after 6 months. More on this story later in our main bulletin.