• Tweets

• In my experience (not with car payments) but with many other things, my partner has been ill and signed off in the past and we have been unable to meet various commitments.  Naturally if you ring the call centre they are going to fob you off and tell you you must pay, that's why that never ever works. I would obtain a note from her GP listing all her health issues plus medications plus side effects, then write to the finance company with a copy of it, explaining the situation, as you have here, asking for a payment holiday. Perhaps mention that the car is very much needed for hospital appointments etc. It's likely the finance company would rather you pay till term end than, chase you for money they will never see, and sell the car at auction for a loss,  You can search some of my threads going back years, advising people to do this for Council Tax, Tax Credits, HMRC, Even a solicitors company and it always works, because contrary to popular belief people are reasonable.
    • Sorry, I haven't ever seen one of these agreements. Read it all and look out for anything that says when she can withdraw and when she is committed to go ahead. If it isn't clear she may need to call the housing provider and simply say what you posted here, she doesn't want to go ahead and how does she withdraw her swap application?
    • Thank you! Your head is like a power bank of knowledge.  Her health issues are short term, due to a relationship breakdown she took it pretty hard and has been signed off work on medication for 3 months. She only started her job in February 24 so does not qualify for any occupational sick benefits, which is where the ssp only comes in. (You will see me posting a few things over the coming days, whilst I try and sort some things for her)  I sat with her last night relaying all this back and she does want to work out a plan, she was ready to propose £100 for the next 3 months and then an additional £70 per month onto of her contractual to "catch up" but Money247 rejecting the payment holiday and demanding £200 thew her, which is why I came on here.   
    • I've looked at your case specifically more.   Term 8bii reads " when, in accordance with instructions from the Customer or the Consignee, the Consignment is left in a safe place" Their terms choose to not define safe, so they are put to proof that the location is safe. If your property opens onto a street its a simple thing of putting a google earth image and pointing out that its not a safe place
    • New rules and higher rates resulted in a jump in the number of savers opening accounts at the start of this year's Isa season.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Lady E .v.Abbey

Lady E
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6099 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Help- just having a wobbly . Have got all my documents and case notes printed , I did a draft statement of evidence and then popped back to Gary H "Got a court date" help sheet and am wondering if I actually need a statement of evidence? Mr Judge ignored my draft directions and issued a court date and instructions as follows-

Each party shall deliver to every other party and to the court office copies of all documents including any experts report on which he intends to rely on at the hearing no latrer than 14 days before the hearing.

Does that mean basic court bundle and other bits that I need eg copy of limitations act , but not a statement of evidence???

Sorry I sound dim but it has been a tough couple of weeks and my usually sensible head has gone to mush !!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi E,

Each party shall deliver to every other party and to the court office copies of all documents including any experts report on which he intends to rely on at the hearing no latrer than 14 days before the hearing.

I had the same order as this, and I sent in a Witness Statement and Statement of Evidence as well , just to be on the safe side.

If you'd like, I can let you have copies of mine just to see what i scribbled;)

They're dead easy

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

Oh Charley .......sigh , you really are a knight in shining armour. :p

If you could let me have a look at what you wrote that would be really helpful , I am getting there slowly.

Cheers

E

I havent got any T&C for my court bundle , I opened the account in the 80s (poss 89), will I need a copy ????

ALSO

The account is in my maiden name (its my slush fund ;) haha) shall I copy my wedding certificate as well or just wing it ?

Thanks Charley for the info, I reckon I can do a statement of evidence too BUT I was only sent a list of charges not a balance total , so I cant actually give dates of balances that took me into the red only charges/debits /credits to my account. Does that make sense ?

I think I may be giving Bonnie a run for her money on questions questions :)

Can't help with T&C for 89 but have got them for 98 and tariff of charges for Nov/Dec 97 if they're any use.

As for maiden name ... as I understand things, you are not compelled to take your husband's name when you marry so it shouldn't really matter that it's in your maiden, particualrly if you operate the account in your maiden name. I stand to be corrected though. What name did you sign all your letters and your N1 paperwork in, cos if it was your married name then I'd say send the copy certificate, just to cover your back.

I'd send your bundle to the address that all your paperwork is coming from.

HTH.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well my bundle went in last week and my court date is 23rd August.

I am just wondering that since the OFT test case started has Shabbey been making offers to people who have have got court dates soon or have they come to a standstill ?

I have done a spready for all my costs and have worked it out that for bank charges costing £728, interest at 8%=£341 + 21 hours work @£9.25 and all my postage and photocopying they will owe in the region of £1300!!!

Any thoughts would be really helpful as I dont have any fingernails left to chew:)

My court date is 17 August. Court bundles were due in by Friday just gone. Neither I nor the court received anything from Shabbey. In two minds whether to send shabbey a reminder letter requesting their bundle within 7 days or just letting it go and writing to the court in 7 days. I have had one offer of under 50% of my claim about 6 weeks ago which i rejected. I feel that Abbey are winding down their operation with regard to claims, I read a thread from someone who works in the same building as a temporary Shabby office, in scotland, set up to deal with claims, apparently all the temps have been let go and the office is closing. From talking to my court all banks have sent out a blanket request to stay all cases. It appears to be upto individual Judges how they procede. My Judge, god bless him, has decided to hear all cases that are listed, at the moment that is, finger nails are gone, am eyeing up the toe nails!!!!

• Haha 1

Any thoughts would be really helpful as I dont have any fingernails left to chew:-)

Hi E,

the only sensible thoughts I can offer, are

what are you doing up so early on a Sunday morning?:p :p

but in all honesty, I really can't see the courts putting a stay on a case that is so close to completion,although I haven't got any concrete evidence to support that...........although I can't imagine Abbey have sent a Bundle in, so that would be the overriding consideration.

sorry I can't be more help,hun:o

vbrep_register("1057974")

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

i think there seems alot of confusion over this test case at the moment so who knows abbey might think cos your desperate that youll accept a low offer who knows they stall where ever they can and if they think theylll get a cheap deal then theyll probably go for it as youve put in court bundle youll have to wait now love and see what next how long have they got to put in there court bundle then like charley sorry cant really help more :confused:xxxkia

Thanks psm .

Like everyone else I have not had any court bundle through from Shabbey, but my understanding was, that was par for the course and I could expect some contact from them wanting to settle my claim .

My Judge has also bosched any mention of a stay and it is business as usual at my court . So far Shabbey have offered me absolutely NOTHING, which is why I wondered if there had been a wind down of their operation .

Anyone else have any news ?? 8-)

Hi E,

the only sensible thoughts I can offer, are

what are you doing up so early on a Sunday morning?:p :p

Charleyfarley - The answer lies with two little men who rule the world as far as mummy and daddy are concerned :D

Kia and CF -Thanks for your comments I appreciate your thoughts as Shabbey are so unpredictable /unreliable , I feel I need to be prepared for all eventualities :wink:

Don't know much truth there is in the runour but word has it that Abbey have laid off all the temporary staff and the permanent staff who were dealing with charges reclaiming have been reassigned.

The story is Abbey are assuming that their request for a waiver to stay all cases until a decision on the test cases is made will be granted.

Until somone tell us otherwise .... it's business as usual, pester them, pester the courts, don't let them scare you off.

hi LadyE

I'm not sure if my case will help you but the dates are so close and my experience has been almost the same so far, so I hope it does!

My court date was due to be today (7/8/07) and I submitted my bundle to the court & Abbey on Mon 23rd July. Up until then I had received *nothing* from Abbey since the start of the case - no offer or indeed any communication, at all. (Defense & AQ were sent to the court but no copy to me). I received a GOGW months ago for a paltry £100 & my original sum on the N1 was £1300.

I received an offer on Wednesday 25th which was about £200 short of the total, they asked me to reply by 5pm Thur 26th which I did with a refusal and I was looking forward to going to court! Then, last thing on Thur 26th, they offered to pay me the full amount (now just under £1400) which they did by paying a cheque into my a/c which cleared Fri 3rd Aug.

so, this overlaps slightly the test case announcement ~ they offered me settlement at 5 pm the day before ~ and as your case is very close to completion, and they haven't submitted a bundle AS PER THE JUDGES DIRECTIONS, I expect you too will get a little email shortly making you an offer. :D :D

Good luck let us know how you get on!

Apple x

AppleCrumble -Congratulations , enjoy yourself with your windfall .

Thank you for informing me on the way it works . With any bit of luck Shabbey may contact me next week with some form of offer, in fact anything from the Shabbey would be nice, phone call, text email all would be very welcome. :D

May I ask, how did Shabbey contact you ? Was it via email?

I was just reading some of the other threads and wondering if I should send a non compliance letter to the Shabbey? No court bundle from them and court date is 23rd August. I suppose I would be the first person in the world to get a court bundle but just wondering what I should do next or do I just sit tight and wait for them.

(It like dating all over again :) )

hi LadyE

yes, they contacted me by email . Like you I had no contact from them at all, until I had sent the bundle and I was getting very bothered thinking 'why are they ignoring me??'.

I had tried to email the famous Ashton's before submitting my bundle trying to prompt them into offering something, but they were very dismissive until they got the bundle and it was 10 days until the case, by which time I was so peeved by being ignored there was no way I would have settled for anything less! :)

Apple x

Hi

I submitted my bundle and have court date 14th September - my local court held onto my aq for ages. I have heard zilch from abbey and they haven't got my email address. Was considering writing letter reminding them of date. It is just a waiting game and it makes me feel better to have read this thread! Frankey

Rang up the court again today, still no application for a stay on my case which is good. Got chatting to the very friendly clerk, who said they had not received a court bundle for the Abbey either, it was due in on 3/8/07.

I pleaded dumb (Lord E says I am good at that;) ) and she said as I was not being represented , I might like to write a letter to the Judge asking for instructions.

Any advice please? Very tempted ....but dont know what to write . Very aware as to what happened to MarmiteGirl this morning and would really like to avoid that scenario if at all possible .

E,

My thoughts on this, bearing in mind m-g and her shiny shoes, would be to avoid going into court and try and get them on non-compliance with N225.

I have to admit to knowing absolutely nothing about how it works, but it looks like your best bet of avoiding the dreaded stay:)

Thanks Charley will pop up on Monday (hoping they havent put a sneaky stay in , in the meantime) and get the ball rolling. I think I will find that non compliance letter that I saw on one of the threads and take it with me .